Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: So I packed a roast with gauze today in training

I'm glad to hear that med training and equipment is being disseminated throughout your guys' agencies.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    I *definitely* would not want to intubate a conscious person... fortunately that's why they have etomidate and roc. I would not try to place an ET tube if you don't have the training/don't have RSI drugs. NPAs are probably much easier/more appropriate for field use.

re: Wound packing that's not something I've ever seen our EMTs do. Wonder what it would be indicated for.
    The way its typically taught in military/LE is when tourniquet(s) fail to control bleeding, or a wound that cannot accept a tourniquet.

At least in an urban EMS setting, wound packing may be counterproductive for most situations. The trauma center is usually close enough that most GSWs can be treated with a gauze 4x4 or gloved hand...packing would waste time on scene, and also waste time for the trauma team. That whole team approach, thinking about the continuity of care thing. There was one particularly nasty chainsaw vs leg that was pretty big, so the guys packed it (I have no knowledge if it was properly packed). About 1 minute from hospital it turned into a code, and we all know how trauma codes turn out......
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    About 1 minute from hospital it turned into a code, and we all know how trauma codes turn out......
    15 seconds of CPR followed by a miraculous ROSC and a touching scene between family and provider before the credits start rolling?

Site Supporter
    Lmfao, the only ones I've seen ended in death threats by "cousins" with face tattoos...

So glad I don't work in ER...especially now it's warming up in Chicago

Sent from my VS876 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Lmfao, the only ones I've seen ended in death threats by "cousins" with face tattoos...

So glad I don't work in ER...especially now it's warming up in Chicago

All of the ones I've seen end with emergent thoracotomies, pressure bags of blood via IO that are then followed by pronouncement in the OR.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    All of the ones I've seen end with emergent thoracotomies, pressure bags of blood via IO that are then followed by pronouncement in the OR.
    That trauma 1 life tho...If you like trauma, you'd love it here.

Last weekend 6 gsw cases and 2 MVAs rolled up within 30 minutes of each other...I was told at least one was a bilateral thoracotomy that had to be done in the trauma room....

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    That trauma 1 life tho...If you like trauma, you'd love it here.

Last weekend 6 gsw cases and 2 MVAs rolled up within 30 minutes of each other...I was told at least one was a bilateral thoracotomy that had to be done in the trauma room....
    I'm already at an ACS Lvl1 Trauma Center for my preceptorship - though can't say I've ever seen 6 GSWs and 2 MVAs happen within 30m. We got a mass casualty event from a house fire a few weekends back - ET tubes flyin left and right.

Site Supporter
    Yeah, Chicago's southside is the mass casualty event of the Midwest lmao...but burns are hardcore dude...we don't even have a burn unit to take em as far as I know.

Off to shoot...Keep on doing good work man! Check your own pulse time to time

Site Supporter
    Bought a roll of Celox to stick in the kit today. Going on a week-long camp with the scouts next week, and saw it at the store, and said, I probably should have that.

User Tag List