Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Choosing New Duty Pistol

Question for those that are saying the 23 is less reliable than the 22. Does the pistol malfunction more often or does shit break on it faster? Or both?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 125 mph View Post
    Question for those that are saying the 23 is less reliable than the 22. Does the pistol malfunction more often or does shit break on it faster? Or both?

Both.

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    I am glad everyone here shoots G26's so well. However reading comprehension is key.

Take 500-1000 guys, many of whom are not shooting enthusiasts and only shoot because of work, and I will fully concure with what was quoted--that most folks shoot a G19 better than a G26, and most individuals shoot 9 mm's better than .40's.

Of course YMMV and I am just a dentist who doesn't know what he is talking about...
    Doc,

I'm certainly not trying to be argumentative with you, and I completely respect your opinions. I read the part you highlighted, as well as the rest, and it really doesn't seem that he is talking about most (other, lesser shooters) guys when he says things like "Most of us have also determined that this does NOT cross over to the .40 cartridge." Or, "Guys with a firm handle on recoil manipulation can use the G22 and G35 with acceptable results. However when you go down to G26's and G23's, the juice is not worth the squeeze." Finally,"...but if you can apply the fundamentals effectively you will quickly see that you can't run a sub compact 9 or a compact .40 worth a shit. So a decision to accept a larger pistol in order to have an acceptable recoil impulse based upon caliber must be made." It sounds to me like he is making absolute statements on the shootability of these guns. Now, I know who it is, and have met him a time or two, but we don't hang out, and I haven't shot with him.

Anyway, dissecting any of this is probably a waste of time, and everyone is certainly entitled to their opinions. My stance has always been that I don't control recoil that well, and my splits are not particularly fast. It is all relative though.

Choosing New Duty Pistol

I'm no trainer or SME like many of you here, but I've noticed a few things about my experience with Glocks over the past few years:

I shoot the 17/34 really well.
    I shoot the 19 not as well as the 17/34.
    I shoot the 26 not as well as the larger pistols.
    I shoot the 43 not as well as the larger pistols.

Even though I don't shoot the 26/43 as well as the 17/34/19: I still shoot the 26/43 much better than any j frame I've ever had.

I'm not a dentist.

JR1572
    Last edited by JR1572; 05-20-2016 at 10:16 PM.

Vending Machine Operator

Choosing New Duty Pistol

I really like my G23. I'm in the minority there.

But my hipster streak ends there, because I love my G19G4 more. A lot more.

For a duty gun, G22 Gen 4 has run very solid for the PD I work with. They switched when G22 Gen 3s started choking across the board at the 8 year mark. That old story.

We're out west, so of course they didn't consider 9mm. Sheriff's Office authorizes G17, G19, and G21 or .45 1911s by Colt or Sig. Highway Patrol switched from M&P40 to G35 this year. But any of these agencies have a fit if you suggest solely 9mm.

Last edited by LockedBreech; 05-20-2016 at 10:38 PM.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post

We're out west, so of course they didn't consider 9mm. Sheriff's Office authorizes G17, G19, and G21 or .45 1911s by Colt or Sig. Highway Patrol switched from M&P40 to G35 this year. But any of these agencies have a fit if you suggest solely 9mm.

Same here in South Texas where suggesting anything less than a "man gun" (357/40/45) is an affront to machismo. It's not as egregious as asking for English muffins with breakfast instead of Biscuts or Tortillas, but it's close.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 125 mph View Post

My Gen 4 Glock 23 went about 1650 rounds, most with a WML - I had at least 6 or 7 FTFeeds with that combo over the course of that time. Last one was a FTFeed with 180gr Federal HST with the WML attached (and the newest mags/recoil springs, yada yada), which was the last straw.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Same here in South Texas where suggesting anything less than a "man gun" (357/40/45) is an affront to machismo. It's not as egregious as asking for English muffins with breakfast instead of Biscuts or Tortillas, but it's close.
    Try ordering Rye Toast with chicken fried steak and eggs at breakfast.....Wayne usually just tells the server that "he's from California" in a state of pure embarrassment.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

I am planning to buy a .40 caliber Glock as a spare bullet muncher in the house. I am not a .40 fan. I do however come into deals on ammo on occasion and I have often found .40 to be available locally when 9mm is not. In addition I have a small stash of .357 SIG in the house. A spare barrel gives me a way to shoot it up as I come across the occasional deal. Add a 9mm barrel for the .40 slide and you have a decent 9mm equivalent with slightly less reliability and the addition of a .22 conversion kit makes for a great trainer. 4 calibers in one.

Based on my limited experience with several G23 pistols and the opinions of many here, I am planning on getting a Gen4 Glock 22 as my base pistol. As for the original question starting off this thread...I vote to strap on the G22 for the duty belt if .40 is the only option and the 22/23 is the only field of choice.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by FotoTomas View Post
    I am planning to buy a .40 caliber Glock as a spare bullet muncher in the house. I am not a .40 fan. I do however come into deals on ammo on occasion and I have often found .40 to be available locally when 9mm is not. In addition I have a small stash of .357 SIG in the house. A spare barrel gives me a way to shoot it up as I come across the occasional deal. Add a 9mm barrel for the .40 slide and you have a decent 9mm equivalent with slightly less reliability and the addition of a .22 conversion kit makes for a great trainer. 4 calibers in one.

Based on my limited experience with several G23 pistols and the opinions of many here, I am planning on getting a Gen4 Glock 22 as my base pistol. As for the original question starting off this thread...I vote to strap on the G22 for the duty belt if .40 is the only option and the 22/23 is the only field of choice.
    Based on the parameters given by the OP, G22 would be my choice as well. My work traded in seven year old G22 3rd gen guns in 2005 for G23s on the supposed premise that it would work for all assignments, size wise, and be easier for our predominately female staff to handle. I explained to folks in charge that was no difference in grip circumference or trigger reach between the old G22 and new G23 after the deal was done and got blank stares in response.
    The about 200+ 2005 G23s in service are having issues with night sights dying and very few instances of parts breaking. I replaced a trigger spring in one two weeks ago and a locking block that broke in three pieces during a Basic Jailor School in the fall. Our folks only shoot two courses once a year that total eighty-six rounds. No night fire qualification anymore or open range days for staff development. Not my decision, that's for sure.
    I recommended to Command that we consider going back to 9mm and objectively pick a issue pistol to fire it. No response as of yet. We bought about fifty Gen 4 G23s this winter to alleviate a shortage of guns due to retirements and expansion of part time sworn staff. Since our sister PD uses G22 Gen 4s with nearly complete satisfaction, we will probably stay with the .40 and the G23.
    Last edited by deputyG23; 05-26-2016 at 08:47 AM.

User Tag List