Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Looking for 9mm range pistol for the Lady

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rsa-otc View Post
    I haven't seen the Walther PPQ MK2 mentioned. It has a nice trigger and is quite ergonomic. There is a young lady on the smaller side who shoots one in IDPA with me and it works quite well for her.
    The only problem with the PPQ (M1 or M2) is their felt recoil is greater than most other polymer frame pistols in the same caliber.

IME, the M&P isn't perfect but it is THE softest shooting platform regardless of caliber.

My recommendation is to always let people try as many handguns as possible then let them choose. This of course is assuming they're going to use logic and reason when making the purchase decision.

That said, the M&P9 is an extremely soft shooting pistol, but I do think the Brig Tac is a little softer, to me. I haven't shot everything, especially some of the newer stuff, but the M&P is definitely the softest polymer/SFA 9mm of the many I've tried. Same opinion for the M&P40 and 45, compacts and FS.

Quote Originally Posted by -ad- View Post
    The better half would like to do a bit of shooting at the range. She's not into it in a serious way, but enjoys the odd social day out there to throw a few rounds down range. For various reasons we're looking at 9mm.

We don't want to spend a lot of money on it, but we want to get something that's going to work well for her for the odd casual shoot. (Work well = practicality is more important than the most accurate target gun)

Due to existing injuries we're wanting to limit the weight of the pistol to as light as practical. However (and here's the catch) we're also wanting to limit the amount of recoil she experiences. But of course Lighter pistol = more recoil to the hand...

My first thoughts was towards the S&W M&P. It seems to be light enough, but I'm concerned that this will transfer to more recoil. We don't have the opportunity to try before I buy in this instance so I'm looking for some feedback.

I was hoping I could load lighter loads that might work in the M&P but don't know if lighter loads would lead to ejection issues.

We're both pretty new to this, so we could be heading down the wrong path here... and are putting this out there for some feedback.
    9mm loads that are enough lighter to noticeably reduce recoil will cause malfunctions unless you start playing spring swap.

What's her shooting experience? If she's new'ish or recoil is a serious concern you'll be way better off to get her a Ruger 22/45 light or the M&P 22. Far less recoil and sort of full size grips.

ETA - If you're determined to get a 9mm gun then look at the SIG's as long as her hands are big enough. You can get a short reach trigger and improved trigger pull for a small additional fee. The aluminum frame will help on recoil.
    Last edited by Lomshek; 05-18-2016 at 09:53 PM.

I can't add anything to the great suggestions here, but my wife and I are new to guns. She shoots my VP9 very well (all small grips / panels) and she *really* likes my Walther PPS M2.

I just took my 5'0" 110 pounds on a bad day girlfriend to shoot pistols for the first time last month.

Naturally, I assumed she would be the most comfortable with the striker fired polymer frame 9mm offerings. By the end of the range session, she had turned her nose up to my VP9 and decided that a P-226 was more her style. She was way more comfortable with the extra weight, and the nice SA trigger pull.

You just never know till you get them to try a few.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks again guys. So much great information!

To try and answer some of your questions...

My wife is a smaller petite person - smaller hands.

We're not in the USA which is a huge disadvantage with this. (The idea of a gun store with it's own range letting us try before we buy... where's the drool emoticon?!?) ;-)

Alternatively, there's the option to try out a few guns at the club from some other members - but most are more expensive guns. (Serious competitors with serious toys). And I'm not really keen on her getting her hands on those and deciding she wants one of those!. (It wouldn't have a problem if she was shooting all the time, but for the social irregular visits - the budget can't justify them I'm afraid).

I hear what you guys are saying with the .22 - but it's not practical I'm afraid in our situation. (I wont go into the boring details)...

She's familiar with firearms - been around them her life. She's shot out of a 6" .357 magnum with soft 38 loads and was happy with the recoil but weight was the problem for her. I guess with recoil I'm more anticipating how much that may change if going to a lighter gun...

As for the home defense comment - that's not even in the back of our mind. Our laws don't even allow us to have a cricket bat at the ready for the purpose of self defense, let alone a firearm. (A cricket bat is like a baseball bat but with a flat edge for you American folk . The focus here is just as a toy at the range for the days she visits and wants to have some fun that will best suit her for target loads.

Sounds like the M&P 9mm might still be an option.. might have to look at the H&K VP9 as well. It sounds like my concerns about recoil vs weight are a bit more than necessary.

Thanks again for the time you guys have taken to help us with advise!

My S&W 686 6" with 125gr .38spl loads is a total pussycat in terms of recoil, but agreed it's a big heavy chunk of metal in your hands. The two are definitely related.

Ever take any trips to America? We're pretty friendly to people of the gun who come to visit.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by -ad- View Post
    Thanks again guys. So much great information!

To try and answer some of your questions...

My wife is a smaller petite person - smaller hands.

We're not in the USA which is a huge disadvantage with this. (The idea of a gun store with it's own range letting us try before we buy... where's the drool emoticon?!?) ;-)

Alternatively, there's the option to try out a few guns at the club from some other members - but most are more expensive guns. (Serious competitors with serious toys). And I'm not really keen on her getting her hands on those and deciding she wants one of those!. (It wouldn't have a problem if she was shooting all the time, but for the social irregular visits - the budget can't justify them I'm afraid).

I hear what you guys are saying with the .22 - but it's not practical I'm afraid in our situation. (I wont go into the boring details)...

She's familiar with firearms - been around them her life. She's shot out of a 6" .357 magnum with soft 38 loads and was happy with the recoil but weight was the problem for her. I guess with recoil I'm more anticipating how much that may change if going to a lighter gun...

As for the home defense comment - that's not even in the back of our mind. Our laws don't even allow us to have a cricket bat at the ready for the purpose of self defense, let alone a firearm. (A cricket bat is like a baseball bat but with a flat edge for you American folk . The focus here is just as a toy at the range for the days she visits and wants to have some fun that will best suit her for target loads.

Sounds like the M&P 9mm might still be an option.. might have to look at the H&K VP9 as well. It sounds like my concerns about recoil vs weight are a bit more than necessary.

Thanks again for the time you guys have taken to help us with advise!
    Thank you for the reminder that we need to vigorously protect the freedom we have.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Guns:
    My comfort zone in a 9mm is a pistol weighing 30-34 ounces. (850 to 960 grammes)
    A Browning GP, CZ P07, P09 or 75 would suit ME.
    If you can get .38 Special ammunition per post #26, a Smith & Wesson K frame revolver, currently the Model 67, would be worth a look if the .357 Magnum she shot was a bigger revolver.

Glock and Plastic M&P weigh less but can be ballasted to reach a compromise of recoil and weight if necessary.

Testing:
    Pity you don't have a rental range or friendly club available for testing.

What she can do is to visit the gym and see what weight she can hold comfortably at arm's length long enough to fire 5 or six rounds. (I have noticed a tendency of Lady shooters to shoot until the gun is empty which can lead to fatigue with large capacity magazines. Don't do that.)
    Or the grocery. She might be thought eccentric holding cans of beans at arms length, but it would be a cost free way to find a manageable weight.

Technique:
    Will she be shooting with one or two hands on the gun? ISSF vs IPSC

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    BTW. If you can remove your 9mm limitation, then (.22lr, obviously) take a look at the SIG P250 in .380. It has a long trigger, but it's just light enough that my wife can press it. Tam just did a 2,000 round test that has me considering it.
    If it is available in your location, you might take a look at the Walther CCP. On paper, it seems to be what you are after. Tam did a magazine article on it:

https://www.shootingillustrated.com/...ther-ccp-9-mm/

I will likely be purchasing one in the near future for my wife to try out.

I am a fan of the Kahr pistols, too. I find the all-steel ones to be more refined than the polymer versions, albeit with more weight to hold up.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

User Tag List