Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for 9mm range pistol for the Lady

Looking for 9mm range pistol for the Lady

The better half would like to do a bit of shooting at the range. She's not into it in a serious way, but enjoys the odd social day out there to throw a few rounds down range. For various reasons we're looking at 9mm.

We don't want to spend a lot of money on it, but we want to get something that's going to work well for her for the odd casual shoot. (Work well = practicality is more important than the most accurate target gun)

Due to existing injuries we're wanting to limit the weight of the pistol to as light as practical. However (and here's the catch) we're also wanting to limit the amount of recoil she experiences. But of course Lighter pistol = more recoil to the hand...

My first thoughts was towards the S&W M&P. It seems to be light enough, but I'm concerned that this will transfer to more recoil. We don't have the opportunity to try before I buy in this instance so I'm looking for some feedback.

I was hoping I could load lighter loads that might work in the M&P but don't know if lighter loads would lead to ejection issues.

We're both pretty new to this, so we could be heading down the wrong path here... and are putting this out there for some feedback.

My $0.05 (inflation, it's a bitch)... light gun + light recoil == .22lr pistol, to start with. If you want something in 9mm, you're looking at plastic fantastics, but even then with 115gr loaded as light as possible you can run into serious accuracy and keyholing issues. My best suggestion, find a shop with a range that rents, let her handle a bunch to find ones that feel good, and test shoot their rentals with the lightest ammo they will let you (usually stuff they sell, just as a note. You most likely won't be allowed to use your own ammo in a rental gun.) Alternatively if you have friends with collections that are willing to bring some out for a day at the range, and let her shoot them, that would work as well. Pizza and beer post-event are amazing lubricants.

As a direct anecdote, I introduced a lady to shooting a couple of years ago who had certain infirmities (low hand strength, arthritis, etc.) and she wound up choosing an HK VP9 and LOVED it.

As a final thought, lighter bullets might not be the answer. Recoil impulse might be just as important as recoil force, so heavier and slower bullets might "feel" better to her at the end of the day. The same might be true for the firearm also. As Light As Possible might be the wrong choice since it won't absorb recoil as well. Perhaps something slightly lighter on the handgun side with a slightly heavier and slower bullet might be a good choice.

I see a lot of trial and error in your future, finding the right gun with the right ammo. If I may ask, where are you located?
    Last edited by hufnagel; 05-18-2016 at 07:20 AM.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

The M&P is fine. Teaching her proper stance and grip control would do a lot. And by "teaching" I mean someone else, a qualified firearms instructor. Teaching your spouse to shoot is fraught with peril
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by -ad- View Post
    Due to existing injuries we're wanting to limit the weight of the pistol to as light as practical. However (and here's the catch) we're also wanting to limit the amount of recoil she experiences. But of course Lighter pistol = more recoil to the hand...

My first thoughts was towards the S&W M&P. It seems to be light enough, but I'm concerned that this will transfer to more recoil.
    Weight is one thing, where the weight is situated is another. If you already have a Glock you can try to mix and match something like the SJC frame weight (~6oz) and the heavier brass grip plugs (~3oz). It's cheaper than bu ying a new gun and may help.

The frame weight is also available for the M&P. I've seen a couple local Limited shooters using them, but don't have first hand experience.

edit: Also, if you don't reload try this: http://www.sgammo.com/product/federa...uppressor-ae9s

It's basically a 127PF minor load. That's about as soft as you're going to get and still work the action on a gun that hasn't been modified for mousefart loads.

edit2: Well, reading is fundamental. If you do reload then people shoot reduced power loads all the time without issue. That's a LOT cheaper than a new gun. There's a reloading subforum here. Ask about 9mm minor loads people use in IDPA/USPSA. The reloading forum on benos is also full of 9mm data.
    Last edited by jh9; 05-18-2016 at 07:48 AM.

I'd second the recommendation for a .22LR; especially given her injuries and recoil sensitivity. There's no getting around the laws of physics - the lighter the pistol she shoots, the more recoil she'll experience. My preference in lightweight 22s is the Browning Buckmark, but that's just one option. If you want a .22 that could eventually morph into a "real" gun, then the M&P22 makes a dandy trainer for the "real" M&P.

psalms makes a good point. Many manufacturers are getting with the times and making effective .22lr versions of their "service" caliber firearms; M&P, Beretta recently, 1911's, etc. Then if you or her choose to step up to a service caliber (9mm, .40, .45) the manual of arms (or operating system as us I.T. people love to call it) is the same, so switching between firearms isn't as difficult; you can practice all day with the .22lr version, then throw a couple larger caliber rounds down range at the end to "remember" what the big ones feel like.

I think you'll need to accept that what might be the right choice for today may not be the right choice tomorrow. You may buy and sell several firearms over the years simply because your or her needs, tastes, desires, and/or goals change. Or you might wind up like several of us who bitch about not having enough room in the safe for their collections. My point being, if she's really just interested in being as you say a casual Sunday shooter, then I'd suggest not being hung up on a specific caliber. Find something that she enjoys shooting and wants to shoot. The best (or worst!) thing that can happen is every time you mention you're going shooting she wants to tag along.
    Last edited by hufnagel; 05-18-2016 at 07:55 AM.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

My wife has owned and shot several 9mms and finally settled on an M&P Shield. For comparison, she thinks my G43 recoils significantly more and was happy when we traded her G26 for the Shield due to grip size and weight. For reference, she's 5'2" and small framed.

If you decide to go the .22 route check out the M&P 22c, my 9 year old son runs it like a boss and it will make for a smooth transition to the Shield if she decides to go that route later.

My wife is in the same situation due to arthritis. I took to a rental range to put a few round to couple mags through a bunch of different guns. M&P, FNS9, XD, VP9, P320, Glock 19/17, P226, etc. She likes full-size guns. Compact frames and sub compacts don't have enough to hold on to. Her favorite 9mm handgun, by far, is the H&K VP9, followed by the Springfield XD. The Glocks are downright painful.

She was able to run a 250-300 round 1-day basic class with a borrowed VP9. She was worn out by the end of the day, but I'm not sure she would have finished the class if she was shooting my Glock.

It's totally subjective. Find a range with a good selection of rental guns. Take her on ladies day, and switch them out till she finds one she likes.

BTW. If you can remove your 9mm limitation, then (.22lr, obviously) take a look at the SIG P250 in .380. It has a long trigger, but it's just light enough that my wife can press it. Tam just did a 2,000 round test that has me considering it.

Cheers,
    David S.
    Last edited by David S.; 05-18-2016 at 07:57 AM.

Site Supporter
    A .22 should definitely be part of the plan, and it will pay for itself in surprisingly short amount of time. My Buck Mark has many thousands of trouble-free rounds through it.

I also agree with letting her try as many things as she can. Almost every lady I have taken shooting has surprised me with her preferences.

I let my wife try almost every commonly available 9mm, as well as a few .38 revolvers, a couple of .380 pistols, and a .45 1911 before getting her a gun of her own. The gun she shot best and most comfortably was her Dad's Springfield XD9. She now has an XD9 of her own, and continues to shoot it well.

A Beretta 92 also worked well but only if fired single action. She did not like the DA trigger pull. A S&W model 64 with a 4" barrel also worked well, again only if she fired single action. About 40% of the ladies I took to the range for their first time had problems with triggers of 9 lb. or more, so keep the trigger pull light.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Third on the Buck Mark. The URX grip fits most people well. $15 of factory Browning parts will give it as nice a trigger as any trigger snob could want, and the ammo is reasonably available again. Fun and easy way to get a lot of rounds down range.

User Tag List