Thread: Any Updated 300 BLK Sub Bullet Info?

Any Updated 300 BLK Sub Bullet Info?

Has there been any advancements in sub cartridge loads, preferably factory loads, that increase their performance?

Everything I have seen indicates the 300 BLK sub loads do not properly expand so that over penetration may be an issue. After reading Doc's article, The Presumptive Hazards of Over Penetration, it confirms what I have always believed, over penetration is better than under penetration, in its simplest terms. Its ALL about shot placement!

I am assuming the issue of not expanding is due to bullet design and velocity, and therefore would effect all sub loads.

I am thinking about a 300 bolt gun suppressed. Ideally it would allow me to run the same ammo in the AR and bolt gun with the advantage of being suppressed. The more I read about how sub loads in 300 BLK are a poor choice for hunting/self defense for that matter, I am not sure.

Primary intended use for the 300 bolt gun would be range/hunting. Range use would be max 400 yards (I know there are much better choices) with the majority >200. Hunting range would be limited to about 100 yards, honestly most shots would probably be >50 yards.

It appears Nosler/Noveskee has a round that is reported to work (Expand) but they are very hard to find.
    Lehigh makes some 308 bullets that are supposed to expand, they would require me to reload, BUT are not recommended for use in Remington 700 300 BLK because of incorrectly marked twist rates. WTF, is this true, if so how did Remington screw up that bad!?

I think its great suppressors and suppressed hunting is catching on, but what is the point if you have to run supersonic thru the can? Am I missing something?

Yes. You are missing something. Subsonic is only for a very special niche that is typically not hunting in the traditional sense. Going to subsonic in a rifle gives you a shoulder fired handgun, kind of negating the whole terminal ballistic advantage of using a rifle in the first place. I'd strongly suggest listening to this:
    Last edited by LittleLebowski; 05-25-2016 at 07:04 AM.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Not cheap but interesting. I'm considering polymer coated subsonic for practice and this for non-practice.
    Last edited by GuanoLoco; 05-17-2016 at 12:26 PM.

Interesting video, makes sense. The lehigh's are the ones not recommended in a R700??

I have no tactical need for the 300 suppressed SBR, but they are fun. I hoped if I could jump on the suppressed hunting bandwagon by using a 300 bolt gun, great. I just didn't see much sense hunting with a can and supersonic ammo. I understand there will be a sound reduction, but not really what I was looking for. So at this point I will keep my range guns and hunting guns separate.

User Tag List