Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hands hurting with grip tape!

One more thought -- can you take some sand paper or other abrasive to the offending part and smooth it down?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I don't get enough callous buildup to be an issue from shooting. I guess I don't grip the gun hard enough. But I do get em from the Crossfit gym and from barbell work in general. If I don't shave them bi-monthly or so, they tear leaving giant flappers. Which is distinctly unpleasant.

Some folks use pumice stone or the like. But given how thick they get on my hands, I just use a normal disposable shaving razor in the shower. It's pretty quick and easy and painless. Unless you wifey realizes you're using her leg razor for your hands. Then it gets painful. . A bunch of the gymnastic athletes at our gym turned me onto the idea. It works well.

Might want to try Pistol Liquid Pro Grip on a standard grip frame module. I noticed products like this and liquid grip are a lot more effective on Polymer guns. My USPSA Single Stack is wearing Aggressive Sunburst Grips and used to wear VZ Diamondbacks while my G19 has an RTF frame which is as rough as I'd want. As for skate tape or grip tape I typically put them on the front strap if a gun does not have adequate fronts trap checkering and spots where my palm contacts the gun.

I'll add to the "trim the callous" bandwagon. A callous mountain ends with a flapper so don't let it get too big. I've experienced similar issues while rowing and rock climbing. The pads below the middle and ring finger were usually the casualties.

Try liquid band aid
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

I tried to cut a little off with a razor blade. Very nervous feeling lol but it feels Bette already. Gonna try the shaving razor soon.
    i used to wannabe

Have you tried filing your calluses down a bit? I do that, as lame as it sounds, because it keeps them from rolling over and hurting...

In planning on it. I had no idea about the sanding and shaving.
    i used to wannabe

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    In planning on it. I had no idea about the sanding and shaving.

LOL. The commitment runs deep.

Just imagine if you would have got the aggressive grip treatment...
    You have a few options. If you have particular areas that are bothering you then you could chip some material away. Better yet, Bruce Gray mentioned applying some clear adhesive on the area in question to smooth it out without dramatically changing the look of the grips.
    Personally, I keep some medical tape handy for long dry fire sessions. If there is an area that starts to wear to the point that it's bothering me then I will put a bit of medical tape on my hands before it becomes a blister.
    Your hands do toughen up with use and the grip itself also gets slightly less sharp even though overall it maintains its texture far better and longer than grip tape and similar.
    Another option for the future would be to just change where the grit is applied. For a smaller number of shooters I just run a patch of grit on the support side of the gun and leave the factory texturing more or less alone.
    Good luck!

User Tag List