Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: ECQC 5/13-15/2016

SLG it was awesome to finally get you in coursework brother. I really appreciate the kind words and am looking forward to getting you back into Thunderdome!

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    I appreciate that, but I would like to really reinforce what i said about SN as a teacher. I'm not going to go into silly detail, but if you read my bio page, you will get an idea of my frame of reference for teachers. I try to improve the training I provide every time I teach. When I take a class, I'm often more interested in the instructor's teaching ability, than in the material. SN is a REALLY excellent teacher, and his material is as good as it gets.
    Totally agree, but since you've worked with so many good ones your opinion certainly carries more weight than mine 😁

The podcast MVS posted above gives a great picture of how Craig came up with his material, and his ongoing efforts to keep the coursework effective, concise and relevant. Great interview.

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the encouragement signed up today looking forward to getting my but kicked in November.

Quote Originally Posted by The Apprentice View Post
    Thanks for all the encouragement signed up today looking forward to getting my but kicked in November.
    I am assuming you signed up for the Nappanee, IN one? Great group of people there. It will be a tough, but awesome time.

I took ECQC here in Colorado this weekend, and obviously it was awesome, but I'm resisting the urge to write another glowing puff piece about it. So I'll necropost instead.

As SLG says in the OP here, I went in expecting a lot, and got more than I bargained for. Craig was easily the best teacher I've ever trained with. He worked us students like he was programming a VCR - on everything from managing the firing line to getting those AHA! moments, to whipping us into attention at hour 22 under a hot sun.

I won't rehash the content in any detail. In my mind, I have a crude organization of the skills involved:

1. Fitness - you can muscle through a lot of fighting situations with some strength and conditioning. As I get older, I find I can't just get off the couch and successfully suffer through a weekend like this. I need to maintain a minimum baseline of fitness even during times when I'm not "working out."

2. BJJ - I learned real quick that all those hours spent watching Samurai Sunday did not, after all, imbue me with any martial ability. So I'll join a BJJ gym and spend 6 months or a year getting some kind of minimum baseline there, as well.

3. Shooting - I am reasonably comfortable with a pistol, but I have a lot of work to do on safe and effective manipulations at very close range.

4. ToastMasters - Sometimes, words really can solve the problem. And given how much even the best fighters got shot and stabbed last weekend, my incompetent ass would do well to avoid going mano-a-mano with anyone remotely dangerous. MUC, SA, quick feet and a quick wit can go a long way - I'm pretty proud that my 3-on-1 evo was the only one in this class that didn't end up in some kind of scuffle. So I'll see what kind of ToastMaster events there are around here and maybe show up to a couple. That was Craig's recommendation for working those verbal skills.

I got slayed pretty easily on all fronts, so I have plenty of work to do. I look forward to getting after that stuff, and to learning from Craig again.
    The answer, it seems to me, is wrath. The mind cannot foresee its own advance. --FA Hayek Specialization is for insects.

Quote Originally Posted by MDS View Post
    I took ECQC here in Colorado this weekend, and obviously it was awesome, but I'm resisting the urge to write another glowing puff piece about it. So I'll necropost instead.

As SLG says in the OP here, I went in expecting a lot, and got more than I bargained for. Craig was easily the best teacher I've ever trained with. He worked us students like he was programming a VCR - on everything from managing the firing line to getting those AHA! moments, to whipping us into attention at hour 22 under a hot sun.

I won't rehash the content in any detail. In my mind, I have a crude organization of the skills involved:

1. Fitness - you can muscle through a lot of fighting situations with some strength and conditioning. As I get older, I find I can't just get off the couch and successfully suffer through a weekend like this. I need to maintain a minimum baseline of fitness even during times when I'm not "working out."

2. BJJ - I learned real quick that all those hours spent watching Samurai Sunday did not, after all, imbue me with any martial ability. So I'll join a BJJ gym and spend 6 months or a year getting some kind of minimum baseline there, as well.

3. Shooting - I am reasonably comfortable with a pistol, but I have a lot of work to do on safe and effective manipulations at very close range.

4. ToastMasters - Sometimes, words really can solve the problem. And given how much even the best fighters got shot and stabbed last weekend, my incompetent ass would do well to avoid going mano-a-mano with anyone remotely dangerous. MUC, SA, quick feet and a quick wit can go a long way - I'm pretty proud that my 3-on-1 evo was the only one in this class that didn't end up in some kind of scuffle. So I'll see what kind of ToastMaster events there are around here and maybe show up to a couple. That was Craig's recommendation for working those verbal skills.

I got slayed pretty easily on all fronts, so I have plenty of work to do. I look forward to getting after that stuff, and to learning from Craig again.

Awesome finally connecting with you brother, and thank you for coming out this past weekend!

It's not like he needs another endorsement, but ECQC is truly a great class.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc View Post
    Awesome finally connecting with you brother, and thank you for coming out this past weekend!
    Indeed! I am only sorry I did not find a way to inject the phrase "mouth of a leopard" in there somewhere. Many failures to learn from.
    The answer, it seems to me, is wrath. The mind cannot foresee its own advance. --FA Hayek Specialization is for insects.

User Tag List