Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mil Surplus 5.56

whats a good price on green tip in 1000 rd quantities.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Another option in the M318 price range is Federal fusion.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/feder...box-of-20.html
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

I'm confused. You want cheap shooting ammo or defensive ammo?
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Brian, I regard Green Tip as junk range ammo. Keep an eye on PSA, they do get some decent prices on the good stuff every now and again......

I really don't know about 5.56. That's why I am asking here. Is there no milsurp that is considered decent defensive ammo? Worth having a case or two in reserve? DocGKR recommended Mk318 Mod0. I thought there might be something less expensive that does a decent job. Seriously doubtful that I'll ever need this and even more remote of a chance I will need to shoot through glass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    I'm confused. You want cheap shooting ammo or defensive ammo?
    Last edited by UNK; 05-17-2016 at 09:04 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianB View Post
    I really don't know about 5.56. That's why I am asking here. Is there no milsurp that is considered decent defensive ammo? Worth having a case or two in reserve? DocGKR recommended Mk318 Mod0. I thought there might be something less expensive that does a decent job. Seriously doubtful that I'll ever need this and even more remote of a chance I will need to shoot through glass.
    For self defense, even M193 or green tip beat the hell out of a handgun. The steel penetrator in the green tip can negatively impact accuracy, hence its reputation as range / blasting ammo.

We use federal 62 grain soft point at work so I try and stick with green tip or 62 grain FMJ like ZQI for blasting. The Mk 318 or fed fusion should be close POA as well.

What are your needs or wants?

Some M855 is accurate(IMI is great) and M855 seems to be easier to make hits at 600 with.

For 300 and in plinking/matches I use Wolf Gold. Cheap and surprisingly consistent/accurate.

For 300+ work I use IMI Mk262. Good for first round hits on silhouettes at 600.

For hunting I use Fed Fusion.

Unfortunately there isn't one ammo to rule them all. Fusion is surprisingly cheap, accurate, and consistently drops deer.
    Last edited by littlejerry; 05-17-2016 at 10:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    For self defense, even M193 or green tip beat the hell out of a handgun. The steel penetrator in the green tip can negatively impact accuracy, hence its reputation as range / blasting ammo.

We use federal 62 grain soft point at work so I try and stick with green tip or 62 grain FMJ like ZQI for blasting. The Mk 318 or fed fusion should be close POA as well.
    I assume you mean the LE223T3, or the XM556FBIT3 or derivative? In EVERY weapon I have EVER shot those rounds through, they shoot 1-2MOA to the left of every other round I have. Not "bad", per-se, but something of an interesting quirk.

That said, how has the stuff done for you guys in usage?

OP: M193 is the best range ammo. It can be safely used within 36m of a target (steel) for training purposes. M855, I believe, is beyond that. Further, many training centers do NOT like M855 divoting their steel, because when shot at close range with a handgun, any divots can create the potential for spalling coming back at the shooter, esp. pistol close-range if they use their rifle steel for that, too.

M855 just sucks. At everything. All things. Except pissing off liberals. But seriously, leave that for a facebook post or bumper sticker.

PSA's deal on Gold Dot is solid, and GD is doing great! Both in the field hunting deer, and killing people. It's a very good round. Many complain that it's a bit slow...and it is, but it's slow because if it were loaded faster, it wouldn't perform as well, given the projectile. Even at 100 yards, I am still getting very impressive expansion from it. At 15 yards, the 75gr stuff is over-expanding, in that the petals are smashed against the shank and bullet diameter is reduced, compared to recovered slugs from100 yards. It does stay together, though, and is superbly accurate.

I would prefer 75gr Gold Dot to MK262 for distance work.

1) It's more accurate from my rifles, and typically shoots 1MOA from more accurate guns than mine.
    2) Terminal performance is VERY GOOD, and I suspect STRONGLY that it expands beautifully well past the point were MK262 frags.
    3) The ballistic coefficient is actually higher for Gold Dot 75gr than MK262, at .373, although the GD does start out slower, at 2425fps from a 14.5" vsy the 2750ish of the MK262.
    Last edited by Unobtanium; 05-17-2016 at 11:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    What are your needs or wants?
    I want to have some ammo for just in case. To round out the arsenal. I don't have access to long range shooting and I'm not that interested anyway. Typical civil unrest type preparation.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianB View Post
    I want to have some ammo for just in case. To round out the arsenal. I don't have access to long range shooting and I'm not that interested anyway. Typical civil unrest type preparation.
    Green Tip x P for plenty.

The best deal for defensive ammo out there right now is probably the deal PSA has on 55gr Gold Dot.

Does anyone have a good consistent source for Fusion?

User Tag List