Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mil Surplus 5.56

Mil Surplus 5.56

Just read through the 5.56 Duty Ammo thread and saw that Mk318 Mod0 was recommended. The cost on that ammo at least to me is pretty high, the prices I saw were over .80c a round.
    Is no other milsurp round suitable as a general purpose defensive round?
    Last edited by UNK; 05-16-2016 at 05:59 PM.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Why do you want milsurp, specifically? Are you looking for cheap price?

Yes cheap price for several thousand rounds. Looks like green tip would do the trick.

Quote Originally Posted by j.d.allen View Post
    Why do you want milsurp, specifically? Are you looking for cheap price?

If that's what you want I would go with Lake City M193

Site Supporter
    Wolf Gold (brass case / made in Taiwan) is a great M193 equivalent.

I got this from a sticky in the ammunition forum

“In 1980, I treated a soldier shot accidentally with an M16 M193 bullet from a distance of about ten feet. The bullet entered his left thigh and traveled obliquely upward. It exited after passing through about 11 inches of muscle. The man walked in to my clinic with no limp whatsoever: the entrance and exit holes were about 4 mm across, and punctate. X-ray films showed intact bones, no bullet fragments, and no evidence of significant tissue disruption caused by the bullet’s temporary cavity. The bullet path passed well lateral to the femoral vessels. He was back on duty in a few days. Devastating? Hardly. The wound profile of the M193 bullet (page 29 of the Emergency War Surgery—NATO Handbook, GPO, Washington, D.C., 1988) shows that most often the bullet travels about five inches through flesh before beginning significant yaw. But about 15% of the time, it travels much farther than that before yawing—in which case it causes even milder wounds, if it missed bones, guts, lung, and major blood vessels. In my experience and research, at least as many M16 users in Vietnam concluded that it produced unacceptably minimal, rather than “massive”, wounds. After viewing the wound profile, recall that the Vietnamese were small people, and generally very slim. Many M16 bullets passed through their torsos traveling mostly point forward, and caused minimal damage. Most shots piercing an extremity, even in the heavier-built Americans, unless they hit bone, caused no more damage than a 22 caliber rimfire bullet.”

Fackler, ML: “Literature Review”. Wound Ballistics Review; 5(2):40, Fall 2001

I can't find the info but I thought I had read that Mk318 Mod0 had replaced green tip because of being barrier blind.
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianB View Post
    I got this from a sticky in the ammunition forum

“In 1980, I treated a soldier shot accidentally with an M16 M193 bullet from a distance of about ten feet. The bullet entered his left thigh and traveled obliquely upward. It exited after passing through about 11 inches of muscle. The man walked in to my clinic with no limp whatsoever: the entrance and exit holes were about 4 mm across, and punctate. X-ray films showed intact bones, no bullet fragments, and no evidence of significant tissue disruption caused by the bullet’s temporary cavity. The bullet path passed well lateral to the femoral vessels. He was back on duty in a few days. Devastating? Hardly. The wound profile of the M193 bullet (page 29 of the Emergency War Surgery—NATO Handbook, GPO, Washington, D.C., 1988) shows that most often the bullet travels about five inches through flesh before beginning significant yaw. But about 15% of the time, it travels much farther than that before yawing—in which case it causes even milder wounds, if it missed bones, guts, lung, and major blood vessels. In my experience and research, at least as many M16 users in Vietnam concluded that it produced unacceptably minimal, rather than “massive”, wounds. After viewing the wound profile, recall that the Vietnamese were small people, and generally very slim. Many M16 bullets passed through their torsos traveling mostly point forward, and caused minimal damage. Most shots piercing an extremity, even in the heavier-built Americans, unless they hit bone, caused no more damage than a 22 caliber rimfire bullet.”

Fackler, ML: “Literature Review”. Wound Ballistics Review; 5(2):40, Fall 2001

Site Supporter
    You have green tip and M193 at affordable prices.

PSA has recently had Gold dot .223 on sale at $9.99 / 20 which is $.50 per round.

Other wise it is $ .80 a round and up. Some 5.56 LE bonded duty ammo is $1.50 to $2 per round.

FYI most of the "military" 5.56 ammo you see for sale is not actually "Mil Surp" it may be produced by a military contractor / arsenal / production line but it is produced for commercial sale. The balance are factory seconds / military rejects.

Where are you finding Mk 318 at $.80 ?

http://usarmorment.com/ammunition-c-...se-p-1701.html

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    You have green tip and M193 at affordable prices.

PSA has recently had Gold dot .223 on sale at $9.99 / 20 which is $.50 per round.

Other wise it is $ .80 a round and up. Some 5.56 LE bonded duty ammo is $1.50 to $2 per round.

FYI most of the "military" 5.56 ammo you see for sale is not actually "Mil Surp" it may be produced by a military contractor / arsenal / production line but it is produced for commercial sale. The balance are factory seconds / military rejects.

Where are you finding Mk 318 at $.80 ?

Site Supporter
    Another option in the M318 price range is Federal fusion.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/feder...box-of-20.html

User Tag List