Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frank Proctor's Performance Pistol AAR

Frank Proctor's Performance Pistol AAR

14MAY2016

Got home safely after taking a Way of the Gun Performance Pistol Course with Frank Proctor at the WOTG Range in Eastaboga AL. This is considered an advanced course and I'll recommend it to anyone with a good amount of trigger time who wants to develop efficient pistol handling skills, speed, and consistency. As for entry level courses Frank and his team offer them as well (I suggest them as you will not get bad habits)

Going in I wanted to work on trusting my subconscious shooting more. The past couple of months I've noticed that before the buzzer goes off Ricky Bobby gets in my head and as a result I try too hard, rush, and get some pretty messy runs. I've also wanted to take one of Frank's courses after numerous recommendations, watching videos, his interviews on Ballistic Radio with John Johnston, and his Performance Pistol Course fit the bill. If you take a course in his home range of Eastaboga, AL you will have access to the pro-shop and also be able to purchase ammo for the class.

Before class you will need to fill out a vetting form and background form to help the instructor get an idea of how to teach you and what to look for. This information isn't shared with the rest of the class but the instructors read them to help diagnose problems and how to approach instruction.
    There were lots of great shooters today and without giving away a lot of the course it was great and really focused on performance shooting and efficient pistol manipulation. This is also paired with drills that are proven to help with pistol handling skills from shooting on the move, sight alignment, and most importantly trusting your subconscious while increasing speed (I've surprised myself a lot today). Frank has no problem going one-on-one for instruction and I like his teaching style that just works. He is very approachable and will answer any questions or concerns if you ask him. If you can't make a course just yet he offers a good amount of training DVDs available on his website.
    This course will run 600 rounds so be sure to have adequate magazines and a decent rig. I ran 450 rounds through my Wilson Combat CQB 9mm modifed for USPSA and 150 rounds through my GLOCK 19 (HD/Carry) gun in tandem with my USPSA rig. Frank was also kind enough to let me shoot his STI Marauder with prototype slide release that makes activating it with your non-dominant hand a lot faster.

I've taken a good amount of notes, I'll remember to fully "see" the gun when shooting USPSA or under the timer (really helps me not rush) and brush off mental barriers. I'll also keep the note Frank was nice enough to write in my range bag with his mantra in case my derpiness or Ricky Bobby talks to me at a match.

See what you want to do
    See what it takes to do
    Let it Do!

I'll probably edit this post more for formatting and to declutter the rambling, typing after a 4.5hr drive tongue emoticon
    Special thanks to JV_ for the advice and help picking this course.

What? No Doge avatar?

Welcome aboard.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the report!
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by _JD_ View Post
    What? No Doge avatar?

Welcome aboard.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk
    Fixed!

Such Tactical, Very NVG, Wow, So Operator

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Thanks for the report!
    You're welcome!

Good review! He is having a match tomorrow night if anyone is local. All steel uspsa match. No pasting or resetting steel!
    i used to wannabe

Awesome! Yeah he loves his steel targets. His main reason for opting to use Steel Targets for his classes was because his target stand were getting torn apart for paper/cardboard targets.

Good stuff! I'm taking the same class on June 10 and definitely looking forward to it!
    Jeff Martin
    Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    Good review! He is having a match tomorrow night if anyone is local. All steel uspsa match. No pasting or resetting steel!
    Where does he post his match schedule?

He was running 2 gun matches last year but they aren't on the calendar this year.

Yea no schedule. I called a couple months ago and asked what the uspsa schedule was and they said they aren't having matches. I found out about this match from a buddy who is on speed south shooting on Facebook.
    i used to wannabe

User Tag List