Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Microaggression training for campus police

Site Supporter

Microaggression training for campus police

http://chronicle.com/article/How-Bia...ampaignId=3128

There's a presentation you can view.

BTW, faculty have to go through these sorts of presentations also.

Just FYI

It may be locked, let me know if it is. I can probably get a copy if you are truly interested.

Or you might try: https://assets.documentcloud.org/doc...esentation.pdf
    Last edited by Glenn E. Meyer; 05-16-2016 at 10:53 AM. Reason: futzing around with options

This shit drives me nuts. Not that there are not some legitimate issues hidden deep within all this micro aggression stuff but, in my experience, campuses have a long ways to go combating macro aggressions first before worrying about picking nits. The HR dept in one institution of higher ed I am familiar with does a great job of sweeping tenured professors chasing female grad students down the stairs, or body checking smaller colleagues in the halls, under the rug. There are bigger and closer problems to go to work on, nationwide, than police using the wrong pronoun during a contact. JMO.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    The presentation author's name is really, "NiCole"? We're off to a good start. And the article is locked content, by the way, but the PDF works.

ETA: "Office for Inclusion & Intercultural Initiatives". "Thought police" has never had such an innocuous title.

ETA2: "Prejudice in favor of or against a object, person or group". "A object"? Really?
    Last edited by Chance; 05-16-2016 at 11:39 AM.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Site Supporter
    Did the pdf link work?

This thing is a neurotic person's guide to anxiety. Acknowledge you're a different race? Microagression. Don't acknowledge you're a different race? Microaggression.

Look at someone in a store? You don't belong here: microagression. Don't look at someone in a store? You don't belong here: microagression.

This is how you build people with anxiety disorders.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    ETA2: "Prejudice in favor of or against a object, person or group". "A object"? Really?
    Sure, don't you bet NiCole & company have a preconceived inherent bias against firearms?

After everyone has received this reprogramming, er, "training", immediately file a noninclusivity complaint against the college dean for micro aggression against gun owners, devaluing our worth as humans through systematic bias of associating us with criminals who may happen to use a gun and therefore technically be a gun owner (momentarily only, perhaps) but shouldn't be held as representative of us all because we are all unique and special individuals of high worth.

After all, if the majority of armed robberies involve guns, therefore gun owners are dangerous and should be controlled, then it only makes sense that the majority of violent crime is committed by minorities, and therefore they are dangerous and should be controlled, correct? Well, obviously not.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Did the pdf link work?
    Unfortunately for our blood pressure, yes.
    --Josh

Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    Sure, don't you bet NiCole & company have a preconceived inherent bias against firearms?
    I was actually remarking on the incorrect usage of 'a' vs 'an'. Is me not considering every possible reading of my snarkiness a microagression? Who should I apologize to, or does apologizing belittle someone? Is me simply conceiving that you may find what I say a microagression, in and of itself, a microagression?
    Last edited by Chance; 05-16-2016 at 01:05 PM.

This thing is a neurotic person's guide to anxiety. Acknowledge you're a different race? Microagression. Don't acknowledge you're a different race? Microaggression.

Look at someone in a store? You don't belong here: microagression. Don't look at someone in a store? You don't belong here: microagression.

This is how you build people with anxiety disorders.
    This is how you tear down a functioning society into little tiny completely nonsensical bits that you hope can be used to Lego your way into some fucked up utopia.

Actually, this is how you get an army of useful idiots to do the above, out of probably mostly good intentions* (with a lot of vengeful spite mixed in), thinking they'll built a utopia, while meanwhile planning to swoop in and assume control amongst the chaos on the other side.
    --Josh

I was actually remarking on the incorrect usage of 'a' vs 'an'. Is me not considering every possible reading of my snarkiness a microagression? Who should I apologize to, or does apologizing belittle someone? Is me simply conceiving that you may find what I say a microagression, in and of itself, a microagression?
    The "o" in object self-identified as a consonant, it's your fault for not asking before assigning article adjectives based on your societal grammar constructs.
    --Josh

User Tag List