Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Herpestes edwardsii

Site Supporter
    Mt Olympus, Los Angeles, CA, United States
    Quote Originally Posted by NEPAKevin View Post
    There are probably people who want nothing less than a Korth, to stuff in their Birkin Bags.
    When you have played with mechanisms long enough, you come to realize that their total cost of ownership is the only cost that matters. I buy Swiss, French, and German guns in Switzerland, France, and Germany. I have owned dozens of Korth revolvers. Not one of them cost me more than the going rate for a comparable Colt Python. Their current resale value is more than twice that, pushing their total cost of ownership in the negative four digits.

Would I buy a Nighthawk-branded Korth revolver? Probably not. Not when I can get two Ratzeburg originals for the price of one of their lower-tier Lollar successors. But shooters who cannot maintain their firearms are better off buying new guns covered by their manufacturers’ warranties. Given this preference, I have no doubt that these revolvers represent a real upgrade in quality from their contemporary S&W and Ruger counterparts.
    Michael@massmeans.com | Zeleny@post.harvard.edu | westcoastguns@gmail.com | larvatus prodeo @ livejournal | +1-323-363-1860 | “If at first you don’t succeed, keep on sucking till you do succeed.” — Curly Howard, 1936 | “All of old. Nothing else ever. Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.” — Samuel Beckett, 1984

Quote Originally Posted by zeleny View Post
    Would I buy a Nighthawk-branded Korth revolver?
    Sorry if this has been asked elsewhere and I just haven't seen it, but can you share any thoughts on this:

Quote Originally Posted by jh9
    More seriously, are these made by Korth, made by Nighthawk on Korth-provided tooling, a new Korth design made by Nighthawk simply "under license" or something else?
    edit: The Nighthawk guns seem to be marked differently than the Korths from your link on page 2, though the design looks the same. These are marked Berryville, AK not Germany and have an NHK serial prefix.

I'm getting the impression these are made or at least assembled in the US. Do you know if this is correct?
    Last edited by jh9; 05-16-2016 at 03:50 PM.

I doubt that.
    It is hard to imagine Nighthawk tooling up to make revolvers.
    Badge engineering.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    I doubt that.
    It is hard to imagine Nighthawk tooling up to make revolvers.
    Badge engineering.
    Hope so. I know guns have to be marked with maker or importer, but I'm not sure on the requirements for both. E.g. Glock will have "made in austria" for Austrian guns with Smyrna, GA as the US location. What is legally required I don't know off hand. If just the importer then the Nighthawk markings could be legit.

But then they also all had NHK0001 as opposed to the German gun serial numbers. Prototypes gonna prototype maybe...

If one looks on the current Korth website, Nighthawk is listed as their sole US importer. The only question that remains is what Nighthawk does in terms of fluffing before stamping and selling. Probably a question for Nighthawk.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    If in fact the Korth is truly better by enough to justify its cost (and I am in no position to say whether or not that is the case), then if I had that kind of money budgeted, I would rather have one really nice gun than several not as nice guns.
    Well yeah, but you need a dry fire gun, a carry gun, and a "carry in case the police take my carry gun into evidence" gun...

Three is one and one is negative two or something right?

Site Supporter
    Mt Olympus, Los Angeles, CA, United States
    Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    The Nighthawk guns seem to be marked differently than the Korths from your link on page 2, though the design looks the same. These are marked Berryville, AK not Germany and have an NHK serial prefix.

I'm getting the impression these are made or at least assembled in the US. Do you know if this is correct?
    I cannot tell one way or the other, except by noting that 2" revolvers aren’t importable under the ATF criteria.
    Michael@massmeans.com | Zeleny@post.harvard.edu | westcoastguns@gmail.com | larvatus prodeo @ livejournal | +1-323-363-1860 | “If at first you don’t succeed, keep on sucking till you do succeed.” — Curly Howard, 1936 | “All of old. Nothing else ever. Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.” — Samuel Beckett, 1984

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Well yeah, but you need a dry fire gun, a carry gun, and a "carry in case the police take my carry gun into evidence" gun...

Three is one and one is negative two or something right?

I don't know about here in IL, but in Texas if you've been charged with a Class B Misdemeanor or above - you won't need a spare gun, because your permit is revoked. Now, if its seized as an investigation, but you are not charged then you might need a spare, but most people are charged quickly.

User Tag List