Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: AR - build or buy?

For any kind of duty or self-defense use stay with a standard trigger; for a sniper/DMR/SPR type rifle a Geissele trigger is the way to go.

F2S hit the nail on the head...........Rock River falls into the "No thanks" category. At one time they had a decent product........not sure what happened, but they suck now.

And I will double tap what Doc and Al have already mentioned. If the gun is meant for any sort of serious work, then stick to a MilSpec trigger. Match triggers are good for match accuracy out of match grade guns. They don't hold up over long term high volume use.

Of course, all of this said..........if you are looking for a gun that will see no more than maybe 5k in a lifetime of shooting, in the form of 100 rounds every 3 or 4 months, some of the "No thanks" rifles will do fine.

But why? When you can buy guns off the "Yeah, I'd shoot that gun" list for about the same price.................
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

F2S, Sean, DocGKR

Thanks for the heads up on the Rock River. Sounds like I was given erroneous or "old" advice. An neighbor of mine works for a Sheriffs department and said his RO told him to buy a Colt or RR. And he said that Colt was going to be using some MIM parts in the future so to get one from immediate inventory if I went that route.

Sounds like I need to spend more time at PF.com and less time listening to my neighbor. Thanks again for the advice and thanks to Mr Green for providing the forum where true experts can share their knowledge. Fortunately I can afford to buy the quality products and don't have to settle for a "starter" AR - in my case it is just total ignorance on which mfg's make the quality products.

I know nothing of what Colt might or might not be replacing. But Colt still makes the M4 for the DoD. As long as they are making them to MilSpec, it is cheaper for them to build all of their guns the same way. Which is why Colt has been such a good deal buy, getting a gun you know was built to spec at a decent price. Also, Colt cannot take it upon themselves to change the MilStd. If they bring in non MilSpec parts to use in Civilian guns, they need to be very careful they don't end up in MilSpec guns.......not something I would want to worry about if I was in charge of QA/QC.

Bushmaster learned a hard and painful lesson about getting awarded a DoD contract, then using non-MilSpec parts and claiming they did. (Also why Bushmaster is among the bottom feeders, shitty product combined with lack of intergrity). The end result was Bushmaster's contract with DoD being voided, and ordered to return the original MilSpec design drawings, and to never claim to build to MilStd again.

Not something I see Colt wanting to tempt fate with by using different parts for Civ and Mil guns.

However, my standard disclaimer is that I have been wrong before. On multiple occasions, about a multitude of topics. I could be wrong here too.
    Last edited by Odin Bravo One; 11-03-2011 at 11:19 AM. Reason: can't spell
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post

AR's built to a standard and at some point, issued to/purchased by DoD entities with high volume round counts on their agenda.

Hk 416
    Daniel Defense
    Noveske Rifleworks
    Colt
    LMT
    FN
    Noveske and DD have been bought/issued by DoD? This is just a curiosity question. I know DD supplies components, didn't know about complete weapons.

DD and Noveske provide/provided complete uppers to drop onto existing Colt and other MilSpec lowers in the DoD inventory.

User Tag List