Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Looser but not longer shirts?

Delta Busta Kappa fratboy Hot Sauce's Avatar
    As others have said, tailoring is your friend. The other option, of course, is figuring out what brand of shirts works well for you. After I found Nike Dri-FIT and Delta shirts, that's most of what I get. Sometimes there are variances, but mostly I can buy what I've determined is my size on the internet and it fits.

You can also check out a discount retailer such as Nordstrom Rack or Burlington Coat Factory. Just go in and try stuff on until you find what you're looking for. If you don't find anything, you can come back in a few weeks and there will be a bunch of new/different items. The likelihood that you won't be able to find something good after a few trips is low. Wear your gear like on any other normal day, and you'll see how it conceals right there in the mirror.

All of this applies equally whether we're talking t-shirts, polos, or button ups.
    Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    Most shirts you'll just have to have shortened/hemmed. Remember that you want the bottom of the shirt no longer than your wrist, when your arms are hanging straight down. This is VERY important, for a quick presentation.
    This is a good rule of thumb (or wrist, as it were).

For me, I like when t-shirts hang right around/above where the hot dog attaches to the pubic bone. Sorry to get graphic, boys and girls. When doing very aggressive draws, I can practically slap myself in that region while trying to get a hold of my shirt, and nothing detrimental happens. When I have shirts that are a little longer than that, I have sometime tapped myself in the balls. Gets old very quickly.

After seeing what LSP972 wrote, I stood upright and checked out where my wrist falls. Guess what, right in the same place I was talking about liking my t-shirts, on my body anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    I normally leave the last center button unbuttoned for easy draw access.
    This is certainly an option. The other option is to get a snap button sewn in underneath the last button. So it looks like shirt is buttoned normally, but the tails unsnap easy peezy.
    Gaming will get you killed in the streets. Dueling will get you killed in the fields.
    -Alexander Hamilton

I would also recommend TheWilderness Sonoran shirts, but they don't have any in stock. They are expensive when they are in stock. I checked a month ago and again just now. No shirts. :-(
    The Duluth Trading Polo's are very nice. They run large. I can wear a size smaller than I normally do, but I don't use them untucked.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Anything hanging mid thigh is an outright liability, IMO. Way too much material that is sure to fumble or otherwise slow your draw.

For polo shirts, I've never had a problem buying whatever and just using it. I usually buy my polos at Kohl's like someone else mentioned. I've found that t-shirts and polos in the correct size have always concealed better than oversized shirts.

As for button downs, the concealment shirts from 5.11 are a decent option if you carry on the hip. If you are carrying appendix, the absolute best shirt I've found is the Kuhl "Stallion". It's a cotton/poly blend with a little spandex for stretch, and woven in a seersucker sort of fabric. The result is that it doesn't really wrinkle, has a lot of stretch compared to regular cotton/poly button downs which is important for the draw, and is also very, very cool and breathable in warm weather. Compared to everything else I've owned, it is sort of in a league of its own.

The bottom of the shirt is the right length for concealing and still having a clean draw without extraneous material.

http://www.kuhl.com/kuhl/mens/short-sleeve/stallion/

In any case, button down shirts will need to have some stretch. Poly shirts will typically lack this unless they're woven like the Kuhl Stallion. If it's too pricy, try to stick with cotton or wool lumberjack type shirts....That's what I do for the winter.
    Last edited by TGS; 03-26-2017 at 02:48 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

I was going to recommend the kuhl shirts too. My problem with most button down shirts is the back hem is too long and gets caught on my glutes when I pull my shirt up to draw from AIWB. The kuhl shirt's hem is even all the way around and pulls up like a t-shirt. I found some on sale

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Been wearing different 5.11 casual shirts for 5+ years, both for after work & also the older ones in matches.

I like the button snaps in front, since I went to AIWB sev. yrs ago even more so now & also used the inside pockets for cash when traveling.

You can find them @ 20-25% off on 5/11 days direct from 5.11, which is their annual sale date.
    Last edited by OldRunner/CSAT Neighbor; 03-27-2017 at 10:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    I have become pretty fond of these Coolmax blended shirts from Cabelas. You don't need to iron them and they dry extremely fast. The pattern helps hide any printing as well.

Attachment 7977

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/produ...ax%26CQ_st%3Db
    @Greg What body type are you? What size fits you best. Those would be nice for Savannah in the summer as long as they don't have a tailored fit.

Tmoore - I wear an XL, 6 foot 215 lbs.

They are not tapered in the waist if that is what you mean by tailoring.

In tradition with my cheap skate clothing habits, I've also had success with Champion brand of polo shirts at Target. Round $20 -$25 each.

User Tag List