Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 9mm carry ammo question

Another standard pressure 124 gr. Gold Dot HP fan for the 9mm.

thanks for all the food for thought answers.

Lehigh Defense Xtreme Penetrator. Great for short barrel pistols & through heavy (Winter) clothing. See You Tube video testing results for some other recommendations and their performance.

Sent from my Apple thang.

Quote Originally Posted by busykngt View Post
    Lehigh Defense Xtreme Penetrator. Great for short barrel pistols & through heavy (Winter) clothing. See You Tube video testing results for some other recommendations and their performance.

Sent from my Apple thang.
    I have yet to find ANY 9mm JHP loading that has trouble penetrating through heavy winter clothing and then adequately penetrating the body. I figured this myth was done with by now.......

The ONLY time a 9mm JHP has "trouble" with heavy clothing is if the hollow point is plugged by the clothing material and the JHP fails to expand......thus making it a deep penetrating FMJ with a cutting meplat. Even a plugged JHP has more cutting/crushing ability than a FMJ.

As for the LD Xtreme Penetrator......it is overpriced junk. Dr. Roberts has had a few choice words about it. Sure it makes a moderate temporary cavity stretch in ballistic gel......that is the primary design function so it looks good for potential buyers. Read up on Duncan McPherson's "Bullet Pentration".....such bullet designs have been tried before and they have no terminal effects advantage other than looking good in a specific test for the snake oil market.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by busykngt View Post
    Lehigh Defense Xtreme Penetrator.
    Jesus, no.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Jesus, no.
    Oh come on. Not only does it defeat the laws of physics but it has some of the best ad copy around. Anybody can buy a good performing 9mm round, but genius advertising hype is a scarce good. I think the only thing it doesn't claim is to have a depleted uranium penetrator, but I might be behind the times.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    One upside to the CD is that it mimics cheaper 115gr ball ammo, like the WWB, in recoil and typically is very close in POA=POI
    From the defunct firearmstactical.com website

A Word of Caution about Hornady’s Critical Defense Handgun Ammunition
    - by Shawn Dodson

According to Steve Johnson, Hornady Marketing Communications Manager, the Critical Defense line of handgun ammunition:

"...is not designed to shoot through glass, is not designed to shoot through a car door, and is not designed to shoot through a wall. If you have to shoot through something like that in a personal defense situation you're probably going to jail."

-- NRA's American Guardian TV

Thus if you carry a concealed handgun for personal defense and need to shoot from the inside of your car, through glass or sheetmetal, then you cannot rely on Hornady Critical Defense handgun ammo to perform. If you're stopped at the side of the road changing a flat tire and you're attacked, you cannot rely on Hornady Critical Defense handgun ammo to shoot through glass and sheetmetal, if that's what it takes to stop the attack.

Laminated automotive windshield glass is an especially difficult barrier for handgun bullets.

Ironically at least one TV commercial for Hornady Critical Defense handgun ammo depicts a couple stopped on the side of a road, in a remote location, changing out a flat tire. In a scenario such as this you might have to shoot through a raised trunk lid, glass hatchback, raised engine hood, or through the sheetmetal of an open car door.

If you use Hornady Critical Defense handgun ammo for home defense you cannot rely on it to perform if you have shoot through concealment, such as the corner of a wall or through sheetrock and 2x4 studs near a door jam, to hit the center mass of a violent home intruder who's partially concealed, if that's what it takes to stop the attack.

Hornady Critical Defense handgun ammo is not designed to shoot through anything other than clothing. It's not tested against anything other than bare gelatin and clothing. Performance against commonly encountered light barrier materials is untested and unknown. Therefore if your self-defense requirements include the capability to shoot through commonly encountered light barrier materials then Hornady Critical Defense handgun ammo is not your best choice.

The human target presents the same challenges to private citizens as it does to law enforcement. Is a law enforcement officer more likely to have to shoot through glass, sheetmetal or the corner of a wall than a private citzen? Probably. But because the odds are probably greater for law enforcement to encounter these kinds of situations does not mean that the odds are zero for a private citizen.

Personal defense ammo designed especially for "private citizens" is a niche market. Perhaps it's somehow more morally/socially appealing for a private citizen to use handgun ammunition with less terminal performance capability compared to common law enforcement handgun ammunition?

If you're looking for specific advice about what handgun ammunition to choose for self-defense then I suggest you consider the loads that have been tested and found to provide outstanding terminal performance which are...posted by Dr. Gary K. Roberts ("DocGKR")...

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    I'm sure Chuck is fully aware of the difference between Critical Defense and Critical Duty. And I'm using the word "sure" literally. I'm also using the word "literally" literally.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    I'm sure Chuck is fully aware of the difference between Critical Defense and Critical Duty.
    My response was for the original poster's benefit.
    Last edited by Velo Dog; 05-16-2016 at 01:30 PM. Reason: Typo

Site Supporter
    This thread and a few others, and the ammo section on this site. Motivated me to order 500 rounds of Winchester 9mm Ranger Q4392 147 gr Bonded JHP today. Got it for a better price then the local shops. As near as I can tell this is the current FBI load for 9mm.

https://www.outdoorlimited.com/Winch.../q4392case.htm

Now I hope you all don't tell me I ordered the wrong one!
    Last edited by Whirlwind06; 05-16-2016 at 02:33 PM.

User Tag List