Thread: Duty Ammunition For Glock 19

Duty Ammunition For Glock 19

My agency is in the process of moving from .45acp to 9mm. The powers that be are leaning toward choosing the Glock 19 as a service pistol over the Glock 17 in hopes that more officers will carry off duty. The word is that they are planning on going with the 147gr Gold Dot. I know that 147gr Gold Dot is on the list of approved ammunition for duty and self defense but I am under the impression that FBI test are conducted using full size handguns. I am a little concerned how the 147gr Gold Dot will preform from the Glock 19. Will the Gold Dot still perform well with the smaller hand gun or should we go with the 124gr +p Gold Dot instead. Thanks for any help you can give.

Doc Roberts says the gold dots are good to go for 4+ inch barrels.

As I understand it, the 124 +P is preferable to the 147 gr for all length barrels. But I also understand that the rounds on doc's approved list are good in barrels down to 3.5 inches.

I could be wrong, but that's what I've understood from reading his commentaries.

Obviously, using published data that you can point to as to why your department chose a certain round might actually be as important as "what is actually the best".

A 95% solution that gives your department some solid legal backing is probably better than a better opinion that comes from an Internet forum.

I can't speak to terminal ballistics, beyond what I have read Gary and Chuck Hazzard say, but in the last five years, I have run thousands of rounds of the 124+P Gold Dot through multiple 17/19/26 pistols, and found it to be reliable and accurate in a Glock. There are also at least some people who think 124+P might offer an edge over standard 147 with a dirty gun or compromised grip.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

We test our ammo in 4" barrels.

There is NO difference in terminal performance when properly engineered duty ammo is fired from 3.5-4.5" barrels. None.

115 gr, 124 gr +P, 135 +P, and 147 gr loads that are properly designed will all offer adequate performance--I would be happy to carry whichever one I got for free.

FWIW, my G19 has been loaded with Federal P9HST2 147 gr HST for the past decade.
    Last edited by DocGKR; 05-12-2016 at 04:29 PM.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post

FWIW, my G19 has been loaded with Federal P9HST2 147 gr HST for the past decade.

Might be time to change your ammo out! I try not to go more than a month or so before I shoot it out and load fresh ammo. :-)

HST is my issued ammo. Can't say I've been disappointed.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    Might be time to change your ammo out! I try not to go more than a month or so before I shoot it out and load fresh ammo. :-)

LOL - pretty good - there's one of you comedians in every crowd - keep 'em comin, SLG!

User Tag List