Thread: F.B.I. Director Says ‘Viral Video Effect’ Blunts Police Work

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar

F.B.I. Director Says ‘Viral Video Effect’ Blunts Police Work

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/12/us...-fbi.html?_r=0

My professional opinion is "no duh."

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    but the FOP says he's wrong!!

Site Supporter
    Let's blame the videos instead of the elected officials without spines. Yeah.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Let's blame the videos instead of the elected officials without spines. Yeah.
    In the day of public shaming over the pettiest of shit, manufactured outrage for ratings and clicks, etc? Yeah, the videos themselves matter as well. I'd rather not expose myself or family to Ferguson-esque levels of scrutiny because my "viral video" made national news.

Videos are a mere symptom not the root cause of the issues we are having as a society. Used to be a time when folks thought through the issue at hand. Now we just react without thought. Kind of like Pavlovian dogs. Bell rings and even if you just ate a full meal your mouth waters. We have abdicated all form of personal responsibility. Right down to he concept of making a sound decision. Shown a snippet of video we all jump to conclusions rather than ask where is the rest of the story? Until you change that mentality among others no matter what you video or don't video you're screwed as a people.

I don't mind public shaming, that's a good and effective tool.

However, when public opinion is swayed very quickly it puts unneeded political pressure on DA's and top brass which will sway investigations in a negative way. Especially concerning police actions.

In my opinion the best policy should be a complete blackout of video's that depict an ongoing police investigation.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Says Comey who misuses his civil rights division to discourage cops from doing police work and police management to take the fire and indict approach to use of force videos.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    In the day of public shaming over the pettiest of shit, manufactured outrage for ratings and clicks, etc? Yeah, the videos themselves matter as well. I'd rather not expose myself or family to Ferguson-esque levels of scrutiny because my "viral video" made national news.
    But if the people who were supposed to act like adults acted like adults, the overreaction to videos would be substantially attenuated.
    Instead we get "leaders" like Deblasio sympathizing with BLM after they video themselves chanting about wanting dead COPs.

I completely agree that social media is changing policing.
    I'm not convinced that is has to be for the worse. A vacuum of leadership is allowing it to be so.

YMMV
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    But if the people who were supposed to act like adults acted like adults, the overreaction to videos would be substantially attenuated.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....highlight=uber

Not policing, but same effect. There's no "leadership" involved.

Some guy here made the news because his dog was in the back of the truck during a rain storm. A dog. In the rain. He got ahead of it, got on the news and said he stopped at the next overpass and let the dog in the cab and that pretty much killed it, but come the fuck on. Manufactured outrage is big business. Literally. There's an economic incentive to rile people up over the pettiest of shit, and civic leaders are just more people reacting to it.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    I don't mind public shaming, that's a good and effective tool.

However, when public opinion is swayed very quickly it puts unneeded political pressure on DA's and top brass which will sway investigations in a negative way. Especially concerning police actions.

In my opinion the best policy should be a complete blackout of video's that depict an ongoing police investigation.

In MY opinion as well, vdm. If the "15 minutes of fame" feature (no screen time) could somehow be removed from the POS's who think they are so bad, is it a stretch to think there'd be less of their crap?
    I think not.
    Last edited by 11B10; 05-12-2016 at 11:28 AM. Reason: error

User Tag List