Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: 308 Semi Auto

I just snagged a new PWS Mk216. We've been so busy I haven't had a chance to test it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    I love DD rifles. What concerns me about the DD5V1 (other than price) is that the upper receiver extension is all proprietary. Do you know if the rifle will take a standard AR10 barrel? No swapping out hand guards either correct?
    Sir, you are correct. I am sure that DD will offer options in the future. I would expect a M-LOK hand guard option. It is on the light side of AR-308 style carbines.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Creek View Post
    Sir, you are correct. I am sure that DD will offer options in the future. I would expect a M-LOK hand guard option. It is on the light side of AR-308 style carbines.
    Saw the DD5V1 yesterday - very nice rifle and light (unlike the LMT MWS I fondled - very sexy and no doubt solid and accurate but at 45 I ain't the young stud I once was and I have no illusions to walking around the bush hunting pig or whitetails with a 13 lb rifle). Perhaps a deal killer for me however is that on their Kalifornia bullet button version the BB is proprietary and the dealer stated that it can not be easily changed out.

Thanks for all the help folks - especially the OP!
    Last edited by Suvorov; 06-17-2016 at 10:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    As someone who has been around Browning BAR sporting rifles for quite a while, it is really hard for me to believe that FN has gone and turned that rifle into an accurate and reliable military grade system. Not saying your wrong by any stretch (I believe you) but just saying that I've had nothing but frustration with BARs.
    I was worried for the same BAR reasons. It has been solid, but it is susceptible to short stroke malfunctions depending on ammo/gas regulation settings.

harveyspecter
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianB View Post
    I know its been hashed to death multiple times in the past but there are some new products out now. I just can't do a 308 for three + grand. Are there any 308 semi auto rifles less than $2000 that are recommended?
    I have an HK91 clone, the PTR-91. They're chambered in .308 and run from about $1000 - $1500.
    I got the carbine model, which is a 16 in. barrel, but it's still really accurate. I think the standard is 18 in. on those models, but I think they may have a model with a longer one.

I own and can speak to the HK, FN FAL, LMT and the gem of the bunch an original Beretta M62.
    The M62 is very handy, plenty accurate and uses M1 internals with a few exceptions.
    Durability favor the other three and all weigh ten pounds but the M62 at about nine.
    For me the HK is the least ergonomic and it is impossible to close the bolt quietly, if that matters to you.
    The DSA mount on the FN works great but adds some weight.
    The LMT is wonderful but DI guns crap where they eat and the 91 gets filthy pretty fast as well.
    Running out the back door fleeing the black helos I would take the FAL.
    Just my two cents.
    Last edited by Shumba; 07-30-2016 at 08:12 AM.

The PWS MK2 series of rifles are rock solid. I have owned a MK1 Diablo that I can't kill. I also owned a MK214 that was an awesome rifle. I sold it to buy a SCAR-H because I have always wanted one. If I were to buy another AR .308 platform it would be a PWS. Along with quality, their customer service is excellent..

I saw the Ruger 762 mentioned. While many laugh at them, I own one as a beater, 4x4, GP .308 AR rifle. Are they MOA? No but they do work. I've shot mine quite a bit and have been happy with it. With good ammo I can hold 1.25 to 1.50 MOA. I bought it as a rifle to take with me off road when camping or remote travel and it fills that bill great.

With that, stay above 10k serial numbers. Those prior to that had some minor issues. From what I gather, Ruger did fix or replace each rifle with any issues.

Hope this helps.

The OP PM'd me about my experience with my PWS so for the rest of everyone's benefit I'll share my reply.

I've been meaning to do a write up. Mixed results sadly as it will be going back to the factory for repair this week. The rifle itself is shooting well with about 500 down the pipe so far. I've seen excellent results with 175 gr Federal Gold Metal Match ammo (sub MOA 5-shot groups out to 200 yards) and decent results with other ammo. Have run everything from 40 year old hunting ammo to Wolf to various 1970s-1980s NATO spec ammo to the good stuff. One instance of short stroking with MagTech ammo but not sure why.

Sadly however it is going back to the factory this week due to the bolt catch plunger seizing up which resulted in the bolt catch engaging on a full magazine. Unlike a standard AR, the bolt catch is held in place with a set screw and not a roll pin. In my attempt to correct the problem myself I stripped the set screw and now the screw is stuck in the receiver. Rather than risking screwing up the threading, I'm just going to return the lower for repair. Hopefully the fix will be quick and painless.

Quote Originally Posted by P.E. Kelley View Post
    I was worried for the same BAR reasons. It has been solid, but it is susceptible to short stroke malfunctions depending on ammo/gas regulation settings.
    That is great to hear, especially for those of us in ban states as without the pistol grip these rifles will comply (or as the anti's like to say, "work the loophole") with most laws. I recently came across someone telling about the excellent accuracy they were getting with a BAR. Makes me want to take the old rifle out and give it another whack.

I am still happy with my Colt 901 that replaced my LaRue Ranger Rifle. My Ranger Rifle is a work of art and I love it, just too valuable now to beat the crap out of. The 901 met my critical criteria of a gun I don't care about shooting a bunch, transporting, and good factory support (not Bespoke custom or small boutique company). The other big criteria....runs on P-Mags. A gun shipped with P-Mags is good. I also have the 5.56 kit, so in a pinch or for training it can take any 5.56 upper with P-Mags. Has a Battle Comp and that is about it for modifications. I still lust for an HK MR 762, but the Colt is good for a beater.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

User Tag List