Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 308 Semi Auto

Got it and I think it is great input.

Quote Originally Posted by shane45 View Post
    Just to clarify, I don't mean high round count in terms of thousands of rounds, although that information is interesting to me. I mean a high round count for a class. In other words its easy for a rifle to do an easy pace of 150 round range sessions. Its not so easy for it to do a fast paced 500 rounds hard use in one day.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

308 Semi Auto

I know I'm swimming against the tide here, but just for kicks...

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Even if you consider the mechanical accuracy and reliability equal ( which I would for a PTR vs a S&W or Armalite) ergonomics, trigger and adaptability to optics favor the AR 10.
    I think Norway and Mexico speak well to the reliability of the delayed roller lock system. Do any countries utilize a .308 AR as a weapon system? Current PTRs come with an optics rail and a paddle mag release which addresses some of the ergo issues. The correct Manual of Arms makes reaching the safety easy. I admit ergos are not great, charging handle etc. But, weight is the same as an AR-10,9.5 lbs. 40inch OAL with a 18inch barrel. A base model PTR can be found for under $900. A fluted 16in. barrel model runs $1,300. Denny Williams will do a very nice set trigger for $280. Mags are less than $10. Seems well within the OP's price range.

I know it's not as accurate or ergo as an AR-10, but is a 91 obsolete as a general purpose rifle? No I don't work for PTR, 8 years ago when I had a $1,000 budget for a semi .308 a PTR seemed to make the most sense. At that time AR-10 were very hit or miss, I know they continue to improve and they will be the answer some day, Has that day come yet?
    Last edited by Alembic; 05-12-2016 at 07:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianB View Post
    Sorry I wasn't clear. I prefer the eye relief 3-4 inches. Is long eye relief an incorrect term for this application?
    3-4" is standard scope eye relief. Scout scopes have intermediate relief usually. Pistol scopes have long eye relief. Standard is definitely faster.
    Last edited by SLG; 05-12-2016 at 07:34 PM.

Sorry I wasn't clear. I prefer the eye relief 3-4 inches. Is long eye relief an incorrect term for this application?
    Scouts are usually referred to as intermediate eye relief. Pistol scopes are long eye relief, and everything else is, I guess, normal.

I am much faster with a scout scope, except when the sun is at my back, so I keep my shadow behind me.
    Ignore Alien Orders

I've tried the Scout concept rifle and found for me I am much faster on target with a long eye relief scope.

Good input thanks. It seems really hard to find any high round count reviews of any AR-10.
    Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    3-4" is standard scope eye relief. Scout scopes have intermediate relief usually. Pistol scopes have long eye relief. Standard is definitely faster.

http://www.xssights.com/Detail.aspx?...93608&CAT=8286
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Alembic View Post
    I know I'm swimming against the tide here, but just for kicks...

QUOTE=HCM;443427]Even if you consider the mechanical accuracy and reliability equal ( which I would for a PTR vs a S&W or Armalite) ergonomics, trigger and adaptability to optics favor the AR 10.
    I think Norway and Mexico speak well to the reliability of the delayed roller lock system. Do any countries utilize a .308 AR as a weapon system? Current PTRs come with an optics rail and a paddle mag release which addresses some of the ergo issues. The correct Manual of Arms makes reaching the safety easy. I admit ergos are not great, charging handle etc. But, weight is the same as an AR-10,9.5 lbs. 40inch OAL with a 18inch barrel. A base model PTR can be found for under $900. A fluted 16in. barrel model runs $1,300. Denny Williams will do a very nice set trigger for $280. Mags are less than $10. Seems well within the OP's price range.

I know it's not as accurate or ergo as an AR-10, but is a 91 obsolete as a general purpose rifle? No I don't work for PTR, 8 years ago when I had a $1,000 budget for a semi .308 a PTR seemed to make the most sense. At that time AR-10 were very hit or miss, I know they continue to improve and they will be the answer some day, Has that day come yet?[/QUOTE]

A properly built G3 variant isn't going to get you "kilt in da streetz" any more than an AK but I've been there and done that and IME AR-10 > G3. Same for the FAL and M1A/M14.

Mexico, Norway and many other countries adopted the G3 decades ago when 7.62x51 battle rifles as general issue were a thing. That time has passed. Most military's are only acquiring new 7.62x51 rifles in a Designated Marksman Rifle (DMR) or Semi Auto Sniper System (SASS) role. The US KAC M110 and the UK / New Zealand use of the LMT MWS would be the largest scale use of the AR-10 in those roles.

The only exceptions I know of are the SCAR 17 in limited use by USSOCCOM as a battle rifle and the Turks. The Turks are transitioning from locally produced G3's and HK33's to a license produced HK 416 and a locally produced variant of the HK 417.

Norway issues the HK 416 5.56. The Mexican Navy and Marines use M16's, The Mexican Army is transitioning to a Mexican made G36 knock off.

You will see G-3's hang around in specialized roles in places which issued them like Germany, Norway etc because they are "in the system", the same reason you still see M-14's in use by US forces.

The current Armalite company in IL has been building AR-10 for over 20 years now and they have learned a few things and made improvements along the way. Their current guns (anything from the last 10 -15 years) run well.

Site Supporter
    Good input thanks. It seems really hard to find any high round count reviews of any AR-10.
    There is a thread on M4C by a guy who ran a Ruger SR 762 for a couple years, including 800 or 900 rounds in a Pat McNamara Carbine class:

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread....ht=Ruger+sr762

The pat mac class info is around page 26 or 27.

S.W.A.T. magazine did a review of several .308 ARs in 2013. It was an interesting article and may be worth a read for the OP.

https://www.swatmag.com/issues/view/...omparison_test

As I recall, the Armalite rifle was well received by the reviewers. I shot and handled an older model and it was a nice rifle. Plus, now the newer version, which I believe is the "B" model uses the standard P-Mags available versus the old M14 mags.

I've been interested in a .308 AR myself, but other than using it for a range toy it would have no practical use. If I lived in an area with large bears or other animals, then I would pick one up.

Armalite has been around a while making these rifles, so it stands to reason they do likely know what they are doing.

P.S. The LMT is nice, but very heavy and over $2K.

An overlooked winner. FN's FNAR

Solid MOA performance, good trigger, low recoil impulse and about a grand$

What about the Sig 716?
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

User Tag List