Thread: In rural Maine, a life of solitude and larceny

Site Supporter

In rural Maine, a life of solitude and larceny

An interesting look at a rural burglary spree.

In rural Maine, a life of solitude and larceny

Police say hermit stole to survive 27 years in woods

OME, Maine — Christopher Knight told police he had lived undetected in the woods for 27 years, spoken to only one person in that time, and not made a single purchase since the mid-1980s.

But Knight knew how to steal, authorities said, and how to stay hidden even though his tent lay within 600 yards of the nearest cabin.

Such is the singular world of the man dubbed the North Pond Hermit by the long-spooked residents here, where Knight is believed to have committed more than 1,000 burglaries for food, fuel, tools, and clothing since he left a computer-technician job and retreated to the forest.

Now, the 47-year-old is residing in the Kennebec County Correctional Facility in Augusta, facing burglary and theft charges, as banjo players rhapsodize about him and bewildered Mainers shake their heads at the thought of 27 winters in the open.

“It’s ironic that someone who wanted to be completely anonymous is now the most famous citizen in Maine,” said District Attorney Maeghan Maloney. Knight’s attorney, Walter McKee of Augusta, declined to discuss the case.
    For year-rounders and seasonal visitors to North Pond, about 75 miles north of Portland, Knight is also a scavenging thief.

He never physically harmed anyone, but his unseen presence frightened children and unnerved adults for years. The shores of bucolic North Pond became blanketed with a sense that someone always was watching.

Knight’s impact was one of “absolute terror,” said Jodie Mosher-Towle, who sits on the board of the North Pond Association, which promotes responsible use of the lake. “I don’t even think he knew he was doing such emotional, mental harm.”

As a result, locks were changed and windows replaced. Anxious youngsters were comforted with the thought that the hermit was simply a “hungry man.”
    https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/ma..._ReadMore_Pos2

Is that what you call living off the land ... I mean, the neighbors? I can't help but wonder why authorities didn't connect some dots before 27 years had passed.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Site Supporter
    There's reasons to carry guns out into remote areas beyond the wild life.

God Bless,

Brandon

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    OME, Maine — Christopher Knight told police he had lived undetected in the woods for 27 years, spoken to only one person in that time, and not made a single purchase since the mid-1980s.

But Knight knew how to steal, authorities said, and how to stay hidden even though his tent lay within 600 yards of the nearest cabin.

Such is the singular world of the man dubbed the North Pond Hermit by the long-spooked residents here, where Knight is believed to have committed more than 1,000 burglaries for food, fuel, tools, and clothing...
    And I'm wondering what kind of a person does that, why he felt the need to...

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    ...since he left a computer-technician job and retreated to the forest.
    Ah.

So it all makes sense then.

I read this to my wife and she said, "Don't people in Maine have shotguns?"
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

I am both impressed by his prowess and the fact that no one blew him to pieces.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    I spent a solid 20 minutes cruising the rest of that site - they have some awesome headlines.

The Rumford Meteor inspired a "label" on my blog, "The Art Of The Headline."

Disclaimer on the bottom of the page reads "Copyright 2016 | MH Newsdesk lite by MH Themes | If you haven't figured it out yet, the stories are real, and only the headlines have been changed."
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

User Tag List