Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Revolver realities - Living with the revolver as a duty sidearm

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    Semi autos have some serious advantages, but it has never been the gun that matters, just the man.
    Yea I agree, of course, but the Polish had all the training in the world when they rode their horses at the Nazi's...who were in their tanks.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by SMD View Post
    Ruger DA revolvers bring their own baggage, but they do eliminate the first and third maladies.
    I'd be interested in hearing technical details about PM/servicing for Ruger GP/SPs and the LCRs. Especially the LCRs.

I like Rugers, but know next to nothing about them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherman A. House DDS View Post
    Ejector rods backing out, I burnt powder underneath the ejector star, screws coming loose. You know, the usual. I have an old fleet. Some days it's more compliant than others!
    Just do what my old agency did with the first gun they issued me....just use glue. They gave me the biggest pile of shit in the fleet to take through the academy to teach the "gun guy" a lesson about following in lockstep. The gun fell apart in my hands during the top gun shoot (I had already won the combat shoot by a mile.....with half a rear sight). Turns out the yoke retention screw was stripped, so it was just glued into the gun. Imagine my surprise when I went for my last reload and had the entire cylinder assembly in my hand. Even after having to find the screw on the ground and reassembling the gun, I still made time and took 2nd place...against a deputy with a 6" heavily customized 686.

Like I said, we had Smith & Wesson screw drivers on the range so you could tighten all your screws up everytime you shot.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    Just do what my old agency did with the first gun they issued me....just use glue. They gave me the biggest pile of shit in the fleet to take through the academy to teach the "gun guy" a lesson about following in lockstep. The gun fell apart in my hands during the top gun shoot (I had already won the combat shoot by a mile.....with half a rear sight). Turns out the yoke retention screw was stripped, so it was just glued into the gun. Imagine my surprise when I went for my last reload and had the entire cylinder assembly in my hand. Even after having to find the screw on the ground and reassembling the gun, I still made time and took 2nd place...against a deputy with a 6" heavily customized 686.

Like I said, we had Smith & Wesson screw drivers on the range so you could tighten all your screws up everytime you shot.
    Loctite 242 is love. Loctite 242 is life.

The new yoke screw assemblies (the ones with the spring loaded plunger) have what looks like red threadlocking compound cured on the screw. (It's not the permanent red loctite). The screw comes out easy once you get it started, but whatever that plasticy glue/paint shit is, it does a really good job of keeping them from backing out. I'm surprised they don't also put it on the sideplate screws...

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    The other day, I called an old friend who is retired LAPD. In 20 years on the street, he let the air out of five miscreants in six separate gunfights, all with the same 6" K-38
    I was going over my Larry Mudgett class notes the other day, and they are loaded with 6" K-38 OIS stories. Great gun!

S&W even made a gun for LAPD, the Model 68, a stainless K-38. Cool gun IMO.
    Last edited by Dave Williams; 05-12-2016 at 08:02 AM.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Givens View Post
    Later, if you survive,
    This made me laugh out loud.

Fantastic post, Tom. Thanks!
    3/15/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Williams View Post

S&W even made a gun for LAPD, the Model 68, a stainless K-38. Cool gun IMO.
    Actually, the M-68 was originally made for CHP... LAPRAAC (the gun/gear store at the LAPD academy) procured some for sale to the troops. I don't think the M-68 was ever an issue piece for LAPD... but I could be wrong.

Anybody know how to get in touch with Bob Kolesar? He would know.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherman A. House DDS View Post
    Ejector rods backing out, I burnt powder underneath the ejector star, screws coming loose.
    Ah... okay. I got in the habit, a long time ago, of routinely brushing underneath the extractor star... whether it needs it or not. Likewise, checking the ejector rod for snugness. And the secret to snug screws that don't get loose is a proper-fitting screwdriver.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    Ah... okay. I got in the habit, a long time ago, of routinely brushing underneath the extractor star... whether it needs it or not. Likewise, checking the ejector rod for snugness. And the secret to snug screws that don't get loose is a proper-fitting screwdriver.

I've never had much of an issue with the sideplate screws, strain screws, etc backing out if I used the Brownells magna-tip bits. Same with the extractor rod once I got the tool and tightened them properly. But I could definitely see worn or ragged out guns being a problem. If I had a loaner with a stripped yoke screw (like in nyeti's case) or an extractor that just wouldn't stay put I'd definitely just douse it in loctite for the last few miles of its service life.

Mostly once I've got one that's in good shape and been put together correctly I just drop bullets in it and go. The chambers and cylinder face get at least a dry brush before every match. Beyond that..
    Last edited by jh9; 05-12-2016 at 09:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    I'd be interested in hearing technical details about PM/servicing for Ruger GP/SPs and the LCRs. Especially the LCRs.

I like Rugers, but know next to nothing about them.
    I knew I was going to like the GP series when I bought my first GP100, cracked open the manual, and found instructions on how to detail strip the gun. To me, Ruger innards are much less of a black box than their Smith counterparts; no matter how many times I remove and replace a S&W side plate, I still have fears of warping or otherwise butchering that closely fitted piece of metal.

As far as PM, good question. I've never had to do any on a Ruger DA revolver beyond cleaning and a detail strip about once a year or if I take an unexpected dunking whilst fishing or backpacking.

User Tag List