Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Revolver realities - Living with the revolver as a duty sidearm

We're hosting a S&W Revolver Armorer's class later this year. Can't wait!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post

I didn't read any surprise in his post, but I admit that I'm struggling to keep up with the, let's call it angst, that's been common the last several days so I'm probably not reading everything as carefully as I should.

I really do think that we're going to have to bump up PFestivus this year.
    Where I work, we deal with a lot of the unhappy public and they seem to get more unhappy as the temperature and the humidity rises. Don't know if that is relevant to internet angst, but there it is. When I get hot and sweaty and not in a good way I become cranky and am occasionally referred to as Crank Master Flash.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    I attended Rangemaster's Revolver course last year. We had 14 students. Three revolvers bit the dust; hard. If memory serves, one was a Wiley Clap Ruger, and the other two were S&Ws. Two belonged to the same shooter.

Course review from the revolver class is here.

I assisted with the instructor course this weekend. I didn't see the cause of the wheelgun malfunction. I do believe he was able to get the cylinder open eventually.

Nice write up. Thanks for sharing.

That location looks like a neat little spot.

I have seen several mentions in this thread, of crumbs of incompletly burned powder under the extractor star. This can be the nemesis of tightly-fitted revolvers, but there are preventative measures. The first is to use the cleanest-burning ammo, for carry purposes.

Secondly, run the revolver fairly dry, and especially keep the underside of the extracto, and corresponding parts of the cylinder dry. Oil and grease cause stuff to stick!

Third, because the unburned crumbs are falling from the chambers, and landing on the star, I do not hold the weapon vertical during the ejection stroke, but at a bit of an angle, which clears the empties as well as straight vertical, but does not provide a nicely horizontal surface on the star to catch the crumbs.

Notably, these crumbs of unburned powder can be crushed quite flat when the cylinder is forced closed. What appears, at first glance, to be a clean, flat surface, can include very-much-flattened crumbs/flakes of unburned powder, in enough quantity to interfere with closing the cylinder, and/or free rotation of the cylinder.

One of my Ruger GP100 revolvers, an uncommon fixed-sight 4" version, is particularly susceptible to binding induced by unburned powder fouling. It can start a range session scrupulously clean, and foul enough on the first reload to interfere with free rotation.

Two of my older GP100 revolvers were made when Ruger cared enough to machine grunge grooves, to accomodate a degree of powder fouling under the extractor star.

Finally, of course, yes, the toothbrush.

Well, actually, there is one fool-proof way to prevent fouling under the extractor star: Single Action Sixgun, which has no extractor star!
    Last edited by Rex G; 08-22-2016 at 07:42 PM.

Just don't reload the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    Third, because the unburned crumbs are falling from the chambers, and landing on the star, I do not hold the weapon vertical during the ejection stroke, but at a bit of an angle, which clears the empties as well as straight vertical, but does not provide a nicely horizontal surface on the star to catch the crumbs.

Finally, of course, yes, the toothbrush.

Well, actually, there is one fool-proof way to prevent fouling under the extractor star: Single Action Sixgun, which has no extractor star!
    Interesting. I greatly reduced the accumulation of crud under the extractor star when I turned the muzzle straight up and gave the extractor rod a sharp slap to clear the empties. I started doing it in the K-22, the improvement was immediate and pronounced. Ive done it with my centerfire Smiths ever since and had little or no problems with powder crud under the star since. I don't use cheap reman ammo, which several have mentioned being problematic in department guns, the majority of what Ive shot in Smiths is my own loads in centerfire.

Single actions are pretty simple machines. They don't go out of time either, at least none of mine ever have, and I don't recall hearing of one that has. The transfer bar in Rugers is a weak link if the gun is dry fired without snap caps. Ive had more Ruger single actions break (3) than Smith revolvers (1). Meaning actual broken part that stopped the show. Colt single actions can be improved in a couple ways to reduce problems with the hand spring and trigger and bolt spring.
    Last edited by Malamute; 08-22-2016 at 11:15 PM.

I'm guessing the asshattery in the thread is why he hasn't posted yet, but if any of you are in NJ anytime you may want to reach out to rsa-otc for some wheel gun shooting. That man is a fucking artist with wheel guns. I think I remember him running reliable 6s FASTs. He's got a harder q-course for his people than any PD I've read about, and an accrediting body even told him that he should make his q-course easier. He refused, and I think last time I asked he's only had 1 failure his entire career as an instructor.

He's also maintained an inventory of wheelguns for longer than many of us have been alive.

In the spirit of our friend and mentor Todd Green, consider this a "giving thanks" to rsa-otc as an infuence in my shooting career. One of the best things I ever did was break out my 4" 19-4, borrow a Safariland from him, and say "teach me".

I sold that 19-4. I want to get a 3" or 2.5" K-Frame (especially an AYY date code) and refresh myself.
    Last edited by TGS; 08-23-2016 at 03:55 AM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Agreed. I always like to read Rsa's take on things.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    Hey TC, it's Givens, he is a jinx.
    Gen2 Glock 17 with, like, 1,000+ malfunction-free rounds in the books since I bought it had something like four FTEs in 800 rounds over two days... Probably because Tom glanced at it.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    In the spirit of our friend and mentor Todd Green, consider this a "giving thanks" to rsa-otc as an infuence in my shooting career. One of the best things I ever did was break out my 4" 19-4, borrow a Safariland from him, and say "teach me".
    TGS & Nyeti - Thank you for the compliments. The reason I haven't posted is that I'm busy very rarely anymore viewing the Net on anything other than my tablet or phone, and only have time for quick "drive by posts". I feel these kinds of threads require more attention than that. I'm trying to make time to reply on the last revolver reliability thread.

Thanks again.

Scott
    Scott
    Only Hits Count - The Faster the Hit the more it Counts!!!!!!; DELIVER THE SHOT!
    Stephen Hillier - "An amateur practices until he can do it right, a professional practices until he can't do it wrong."

User Tag List