Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Quality AR

19 ARs built by 4 different companies and my number one recommendation is a toss up between Daniel Defense and Colt. I've a abused the piss out of both in the worst environmental conditions possible, and nothing else comes close to that level of performance anywhere near that price point.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    I would add Rock River to you Nope list and LMT to your Go To list. Two newer, smaller AR companies which are Good to Go IME are Sionics of AZ and Sons of Liberty Gun Works of TX. SOLGW is local to me and I highly recommend them, both for complete rifles and parts.

Now that I can buy a COLT OEM for $750, $100 to $1200 for an LMT does not make equal sense.
    I don't get it.

and I'm not just picking on you, you just happened to post what I think is conflicting advice in one post, where as most people seem to split it up into two.

Why would you suggest Sionigs or Liberty, if Colt is $750? Just like the LMT "does not make equal sense" at the higher price, I would suggest that neither does the bubbagump gun company make equal sense if Colt can be had for the equal or lesser price.

In fact, the more I think about this thread in general, and the responses of the OP, we don't need the thread he suggests. Just buy the Colt. If AR? is the question, COLT is the answer.

If you ask 100 knowledgeable people "what AR should I buy", 50 of them will just say "Colt" immediately. Of the 50 that don't say "Colt", if you ask them specifically about Colt, 25 will say "well, yeah, those are good too". 24 more will have some reason they prefer something else but will begrudgingly acknowledge Colt. 1 will say "don't get a Colt because:nonsense".

So, just buy a Colt. In the "buying odds", it's the odds it's the least likely to cause you problems.

/Thread.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I don't get it.

and I'm not just picking on you, you just happened to post what I think is conflicting advice in one post, where as most people seem to split it up into two.

Why would you suggest Sionigs or Liberty, if Colt is $750? Just like the LMT "does not make equal sense" at the higher price, I would suggest that neither does the bubbagump gun company make equal sense if Colt can be had for the equal or lesser price.

In fact, the more I think about this thread in general, and the responses of the OP, we don't need the thread he suggests. Just buy the Colt. If AR? is the question, COLT is the answer.

If you ask 100 knowledgeable people "what AR should I buy", 50 of them will just say "Colt" immediately. Of the 50 that don't say "Colt", if you ask them specifically about Colt, 25 will say "well, yeah, those are good too". 24 more will have some reason they prefer something else but will begrudgingly acknowledge Colt. 1 will say "don't get a Colt because:nonsense".

So, just buy a Colt. In the "buying odds", it's the odds it's the least likely to cause you problems.

/Thread.
    Answering only for myself: the question was best AR, not "cheapest AR that will work".

Just because Toyota or Honda make great cars that work, doesn't mean that a Range Rover is a bad vehicle.

They can all be listed as fine vehicles. Not everyone has the same budget constraints. Many people in this thread own 5-20 ARs. Surely they can afford one expensive AR. That's not everyone's situation, but it doesn't make the expensive one a "worse" choice, only a more expensive choice.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I don't get it.

/Thread.
    The Colt OEM is $750 is the choice IF you can find one in stock to buy, but just like when I bought my LMT's 10 years ago, Colt availability is an issue.

SOLGW and SIONICs are both small companies trying to follow the BCM model, building a quality gun, from quality components ( Schmidt Tool small parts, Microbest BCG etc.) The SOLGW complete lower and East India starter kit upper will give you a quality equivalent to the Colt OEM at a comparable price.

If you already have a couple good AR's in the safe it's easy to wait for a Colt to pop up. For others that may not be an option. Colt 6920 and Aimpoint PRO has been my recommendation for years. Of 20 or 30 Co-workers who've bought AR's in the last few years ONE guy bought a 8920 and a PRO. If $$$ are an issue, I'd rather see one of my guys buy a SOLGW upper and lower or a S&W Sport than a PSA Freedom, Bushampster or "parts is parts" gunshow build.
    Last edited by HCM; 05-10-2016 at 04:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Runkle View Post
    Answering only for myself: the question was best AR, not "cheapest AR that will work".

Just because Toyota or Honda make great cars that work, doesn't mean that a Range Rover is a bad vehicle.

They can all be listed as fine vehicles. Not everyone has the same budget constraints. Many people in this thread own 5-20 ARs. Surely they can afford one expensive AR. That's not everyone's situation, but it doesn't make the expensive one a "worse" choice, only a more expensive choice.
    My question to this would be, "what are you getting for more expense?" Unless you're talking match grade SS barrels from Noveske, or something custom built, there is nothing that is functionally better than the Colt in a more expensive AR. This assumes that triggers and handguards are accessories and not part of the actual rifle.
    Last edited by ASH556; 05-10-2016 at 04:07 PM.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    19 ARs built by 4 different companies and my number one recommendation is a toss up between Daniel Defense and Colt. I've a abused the piss out of both in the worst environmental conditions possible, and nothing else comes close to that level of performance anywhere near that price point.
    To be fair: an issued TDP Colt isn't necessarily the same as the "small pin, then large pin, now small pin again" civvy Colts.

Big differences between civilian Colts depending on model and when it was made and offered.

I agree that all of them are still better than say, a DPMS. And additionally, I would expect you to be a guy that actually checks a weapon over when he gets it.

Are you referring to off the rack civilian guns? Or LE/Mil guns, SBRs that were produced on the LE/Mil side, or are we talking about a Colt you get at Cabela's or Wally World? Because I've seen some shit 6920's at Cabela's. Just saw one a few weeks ago at the Wheeling, WV location that I would never take home.

Not trying to be argumentative, just saying that your "average" experience may have better QA/QI at the plant, then with an armorer and then with you going over it with a fine-tooth comb than the experience of an inexperienced user/buyer getting the cheapest off-the-rack experience.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    Says the guy who spent 3 days at a Pat Rogers class convincing me "everyone needs a Noveske rifle" ;-)

It took a few years but I'm very happy with my Noveske. Not even close to the price point of a Colt though. I traded into my Noveske but if I were starting from scratch, hunting down a Colt OEM and re-barreling with a Noveske barrel would be the way to go.

To be fair: an issued TDP Colt isn't necessarily the same as the "small pin, then large pin, now small pin again" civvy Colts.

Big differences between civilian Colts depending on model and when it was made and offered.
    Please clarify for those of us who thought, "OK, I'll just go buy a Colt".

To be specific, Which Colt model would you recommend if one wanted to buy a 16in, heavy barrel, A-2 front sight, flat top AR to which you could add an Aimpoint Pro and a WML?
    Last edited by Alembic; 05-10-2016 at 05:15 PM. Reason: ask a clear question

Because I've seen some shit 6920's at Cabela's. Just saw one a few weeks ago at the Wheeling, WV location that I would never take home.
    Could you please share what specifically was wrong with the 6920's you refer to?
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

I too am curious

As one who is just dipping his toes into the last quarter of the 20th century, arms-wise, I too would be curious what issues you've seen with Colt 6920s for retail sale, Josh.
    (I need to learn what to avoid, for one thing. What I know about ARs is pretty slim compared to what I know about, say, Lee-Enfield or Mauser rifles.
    I knew enough in 2001 to not buy Oly Arms back when they were popular with the MSFT gun club folks.)

The wise folks I know outside this forum say "No-drama-get-what-you-pay-for-AR? Colt. Now go practice and get good instruction. And for Pete's sake don't eat that donut."
    Last edited by Lex Luthier; 05-10-2016 at 05:02 PM.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

User Tag List