Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread: Quality AR

Here is the plan for this. I have the optic, a Leupold M8 8X with adjustable objective, a target elevation knob, and a standard windage adjustment. I like having just the target elevation knob and a regular windage knob as I usually just need to fiddle with elevation based on range and can hold off on windage. It also is one less big knob sticking out the side of the rifle when being carried on my property. I am not sure of the mount yet. I have the time it will take for the upper to arrive to figure out the mount. The Bobro mounts intrigue me due to the tool-less mounting and removal, and I need to call and discuss mounting options with them as there are quite a few.

The load will be built around a 55-grain JHP and SP bullets. I am probably not going to run it at 3300 fps as I see no need to stress the barrel. I am going to experiment with speeds closer to 3000-3100 fps. I am looking for "flat enough" for my maximum range while not punishing the barrel.
    Last edited by farscott; 05-20-2016 at 08:41 AM.

WOA uppers are solid. I have one sitting here waiting to be shot. Friend has one for Highpower that is quite accurate and the one I shot prior was able to get me groups were right there with the best in the match.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

I have 3 rifles that I used WOA barrels and one barrel not yet mounted. Great shooting barrels.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    19 ARs built by 4 different companies and my number one recommendation is a toss up between Daniel Defense and Colt. I've a abused the piss out of both in the worst environmental conditions possible, and nothing else comes close to that level of performance anywhere near that price point.
    Would you recommend buying the entire rifle as one? Or buying upper and lower seperate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    And even if you do, it probably won't matter anyway because it's real purpose is to simply sit in the driveway so you can look at it.
    Got a chuckle out of this one. I have run across a number of people whose real hobby is collecting and discussing firearms rather than shooting them. They spend a lot of time tinkering, discussing, altering, and then discussing some more the cool stuff they intend to do to their firearms. They then might actually go shooting every February 29th.

Sample of One ..

This thread has been very illuminating concerning the AR platform and things that matter. I was in a local gunshop recently and spotted a very "pretty" AR cericoated to a light grey and out fitted with Magpul "zombie" furniture. It was topped with a EOtec holosight, cericoated to match, and felt very light and comfortable in hand.

The weapon itself is a Windom Weaponry, a spin-off of Bushmaster (which gets no love here) but their website professes a commitment to quality that resonated with me (after the purchase). I liked the circle with dot that the EOtec provided, only learning later about "issues" with the EOtec product.

I bought a bag of .223 reloads with the weapon and have only just recently got a chance to zero the gun. I shot credible 3 shot groups with it, on the way to zeroing it onto the bullseye. My final three round firing produced a group with all three holes touching (25 yards) all in the red. This for me was "good enough" for the weapons intended use as a plinker that my wife can shoot.

The weapon is light and tight, shoots extremely well (so far) and is quite handsome. Only time will tell if the zero holds and the weapon will continue to shoot groups that touch at short range. By comparison my SIG MCX in 300 blk also shot well during the zeroing process, but failed to produce 3 shoot groups as tight as the AR. When I get the chance to fire both at longer ranges more will be known about the weapons ability to hold zero and produce consistent tight groups.

Digiroc

Name:  AR 15.jpg
Views: 678
Size:  46.1 KB

Name:  Sig MCX.jpg
Views: 651
Size:  72.7 KB

Name:  target.jpg
Views: 671
Size:  33.3 KB
    Last edited by Digiroc; 07-23-2016 at 07:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    FWIW, PWS also uses S7 for their bolts, haven't heard too much about those having issues, even in the 7" shorties.
    Just as an update, I had a sheared bolt lug on my MK110 Mod 1 today. Round count is approximately 2238, >80% of it being 5.56 NATO (I don't shoot much .223 Rem); was shot mostly suppressed, with the AGB set to the lowest setting, lower had a Vltor A5 RE, buffer weight ran from 5.3 oz to 10.0 oz, depending on the different experimentation I'd done through the shooting, and had a Sprinco Green Spring. Stacey over at PWS told me that this would be covered under warranty; currently going through the RMA process.

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    Just as an update, I had a sheared bolt lug on my MK110 Mod 1 today. Round count is approximately 2238, >80% of it being 5.56 NATO (I don't shoot much .223 Rem); was shot mostly suppressed, with the AGB set to the lowest setting, lower had a Vltor A5 RE, buffer weight ran from 5.3 oz to 10.0 oz, depending on the different experimentation I'd done through the shooting, and had a Sprinco Green Spring. Stacey over at PWS told me that this would be covered under warranty; currently going through the RMA process.
    S7 is a great material for bolt-lugs.
    On paper.

In practice, I think that it's not such a hot idea based on all the failures, when dealing with the M4 bolt specifically.

Vending Machine Operator
    My two cents in the ongoing cost-for-performance discussion.

I knew that - aside from keeping a stripped lower and parts kit on hand at all times in case legislation gets going - I would most likely only want a single AR-platform 5.56 rifle for the rest of my life. So I got a Daniel Defense M4V1. It was expensive, but I was able to have the comfort and assurance that I was buying quality.

In 6 years, I have had no occasion to think that was the wrong decision, and it's nice to know that even though I suck with it until I get proper training, I have an AR that I don't have to wonder about in terms of quality as long as I properly maintain it.

Colt 6920 or higher. Life is too short to wonder if your gas key is properly staked.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

deleted by oldtexan
    Last edited by oldtexan; 03-18-2017 at 12:31 PM.

User Tag List