Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Quality AR

Get a Colt (6920/6720/6940 variant), BCM, FN, or M&P 15 & you'll more than likely be just fine.

First, I really appreciate the input on RRA and on what I am looking to do with this particular rifle. The information and opinions have been very helpful. I am still researching as I have a fundamental aversion to spending money on objects exhibiting shortcuts in assembly, especially where I want a precision product. I am also refining how I want to use this rifle. I see two use cases, one probable and one possible. The probable one is a shooting from a field-improvised rest on a coyote at ranges from 30 yards to 400 yards. The 400 yard high side limit comes from a shot I made with a Browning 1885 in .243 Win on a coyote on my property. The possible use case would be walking with the rifle, identifying a target, and shooting off-hand. Due to the size of my property, I generally keep a rifle and my P30 with me. Unfortunately I have dealt with rabid animals. Experience has taught me that letting a rabid animal get close is something I do not wish to repeat. It also is the reason the 1885 is being replaced by an AR in this role. The 1885 is a very trim and easy to carry rifle with the very short action and tapered octagon barrel, but the single-shot restriction is an issue.

I also have gotten to the age where carrying extra weight results in fatigue. The eleven-plus pounds of the RRA with scope is more than I want, so I was looking for some lighter options. I have some experience with the PRI carbon fiber handguards on an AR upper, and I really like this product without the rails.

Secondly, I probably made a bad mistake as far my wallet is concerned and spent some time on the Bravo Company USA web site after some Google-fu on the PRI handguards. I found BCM offers 16" and 18" uppers with the PRI handguard. With all of the rails on the PRI, it weighs 3.5 pounds for the 16" variant. Getting rid of the rails should drop the weight to under three pounds. The issue I see is the muzzle device, which is not needed, wanted, or on this rifle. Funny thing is I have an upper configured just like that. Only issue is that it now wears different optics and has the muzzle device, which is not being removed.

That led me to White Oak Armament. Hence the comment about my wallet. More research to follow.

Coyotes... I was grilling steaks on the back porch 3 weeks ago and saw a coyote way out in the pasture. I ran inside, grabbed my modified colt 6920, two sets of muffs and my binoculars. Wife was my armed with the nocs and she spotted for me. Used the BDC 400 yard hash, listened to my spotter and killed him on the 3rd shot.

Didn't burn the steaks either.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BWT View Post
    It's still a very innovative rail, and I appreciate their willingness to stretch outside the pool of 7075 grade Aluminum for rails for better or for worse.
    FYI, the vast majority of AR handguards/rails are made of 6061, not 7075. BCM has stated that their Alpha rails are slightly stronger than their Al/Mg blend; I suspect their Alpha rails are made of 6061 like most rails.

In fact, the only non-6061, non-monolithic rails I can think of off the top of my head are the Mega WedgeLocks (7075), BCM KMRs (Al/Mg blend), and V7 Enlightened handguard (Li/Al blend, AKA Alloy 2099). The Hodge Defense WedgeLock is suppose to also come in both 7075 and 2099 flavors, but that remains vaporware for now.
    Last edited by Default.mp3; 05-19-2016 at 09:25 AM.

6061 and 6063 are both used in electronics for heat sinks. Why? Both are among the least costly aluminum alloys and there is not a vast difference in the thermal conductivity of the various Al alloys. I frequently use 6063-T5 as it is bit more thermally conductive (~200W/m-K) than 6061-T6 (~170 W/m-K). Air is on the order of 0.02W/m-K (good insulator) and copper (great thermal conductor) is around 300-400. Higher number mean the material conducts more heat.

I am not sure I want an alloy I use for heat sinks for my rails.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    6061 and 6063 are both used in electronics for heat sinks. Why? Both are among the least costly aluminum alloys and there is not a vast difference in the thermal conductivity of the various Al alloys. I frequently use 6063-T5 as it is bit more thermally conductive (~200W/m-K) than 6061-T6 (~170 W/m-K). Air is on the order of 0.02W/m-K (good insulator) and copper (great thermal conductor) is around 300-400. Higher number mean the material conducts more heat.

I am not sure I want an alloy I use for heat sinks for my rails.
    You're supposed to stop thinking at "aircraft grade."
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Oils and Lotions SME
    Out of curiosity, I wonder why LaRue Tactical rifles seldom come up in these discussions?
    Hokey religions and ancient lubricants are no match for a good Group IV PAO

Owner 360 Performance Shooting

This handguard material discussion is great. It's a great example of too much minutiae. Engineers think "well 7075 is 'better' so that's what I want", but clearly "better" in this case is irrelevant if all the known standard handgaurds are 6061, performing fine, and nobody can produce a specific case of a 6061 failure where 7075 would/did not fail.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    This handguard material discussion is great. It's a great example of too much minutiae. Engineers think "well 7075 is 'better' so that's what I want", but clearly "better" in this case is irrelevant if all the known standard handgaurds are 6061, performing fine, and nobody can produce a specific case of a 6061 failure where 7075 would/did not fail.
    Well, one might be able to argue that with the superior strength to weight ratio, 7075 is a better material as it would allow for a lighter handguard of similar strength.

And there's also the question of where there are rail failures; the vast majority would probably be on the military side of things, which are still constrained to Picatinny. The difference between 7075 and 6061 might be better appreciated in identically designed KeyMod or M-LOK rails.

And, being an engineer, I'll be the first to admit that one of the big draws of the WedgeLocks over other quality M-LOK rails is the 7075 construction, just because I'm a spec sheet whore.

Oh, and the Wilson Combat TRIMs are made of 6005, rather than 6061.
    Last edited by Default.mp3; 05-19-2016 at 12:22 PM.

I'd bet most decisions are based on manufacturing rather than material properties.

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using an owl
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

User Tag List