Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Former SEAL retains right to carry handgun while with his 3-year-old daughter

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    Thanks for clearing that up. I just always figured that lying to a judge under any circumstances was a big deal. Guess I'm old-fashioned that way.

Okie John
    I have a colleague who got divorced and it had to go to trial. The colleague's ex-wife was lying so badly on cross-examination that the judge ( a woman) stopped the lawyer and explained to the ex-wife that she really had to try to tell the truth because she was under oath.

The ex-wife was incredulous. She angrily asked the judge how she could be expected to tell the truth when her husband was trying to take away not only their kids (he was applying for joint custody) but her undoubted right to a huge amount of lifetime alimony (they had been married 6-7 years). The ex-wife thought her ex-husband's positions were so outrageous that justice allowed her to do anything to defeat them, including lying under oath.

The judge then again begged the ex-wife to concentrate on telling the truth, but obviously that instruction was so ridiculous that the ex-wife immediately ignored it and went back to lying. (I couldn't believe the story when it was told to me, so my colleague gave me a copy of the transcript and sure enough that is exactly what happened.

No perjury referral, of course, though the ex-husband did get joint custody and alimony stopped after a while.

As they say, family court is where the law goes to die.

They say there are a minimum of three sides to every story. His, hers and the truth.

One time I got roped into appearing at the magistrate's office and had to wait for the prior case, a domestic dispute, to get done. I was truly amazed at the judge's patience while she explained to with an irate man who kept screaming about "God's law" that she was required to enforce the Commonwealth's statutes.

User Tag List