26 19.85%
  • 9mm CZs

9 6.87%
  • Other - write in

6 4.58%
  • None - spend the money on ammo!

14 10.69%
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: "Passion of the Gun" - what platform next?

Be advised that a Sig Sauer P225 A1 is an all new model capitalizing on the cult popularity. It has nothing in common with the original P225/P6 but the bare similarity of a single stack 9mm. No parts interchangeability.
    This may be a good thing, my stock commercial P225 has a notably tough DA, even in comparison with other Sig Sauers.
    Also they have presumably fixed the magazine peculiarities of the P225/P6 series, probably along the same lines as the P239.

Apropo which, I think a good stockmaker could make a P239 feel like a P225, it has such a skinny butt that you could shape almost anything around it.

Hi-Powers are easy to fall in love with. As are Colt 9mm Commanders

I don't think the differences in running Smith vs ruger revolvers are big enough that you need to be exclusive to one. J frame + WC gp100 ( or 3"686+) is about as practical as you can get with a revolver, and you can justify buying all the old revolvers you want because it's good practice for your carry guns.

I turned to the Wilson Combat Beretta Brigadier Tactical 92G when my relationship with the G17 grew stale. Great pistol - and the challenge of learning DA/SA was what I needed to renew my interest in shooting. I'd heartily recommend the WC model - but I'd also give strong consideration to the new Beretta M9A3.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    I am not wholly opposed to buying internal lock Smiths - I just wouldn't really want to carry one without disabling the lock. Plus - from my limited experience anyhow - I've found that new Rugers are generally better built than new Smiths (in a wholly subjective + unquantifiable way), and are cheaper too - thus it makes me sort of hard up to justify buying an internal lock smith when I can get a revolver as well or better fitted than the Smith for less money, and without an internal lock.

That said I am not so dogmatic as to be unwilling to listen to a counter-argument if you have a good one. I am known to be wrong now and then...
    I'm guessing you buy/load 38 in much, much smaller batches than 9mm. The 986 is a 9mm that will use the same ammo as the guns you shoot the most and uses the same grips as the K-frame'd S&W 19 you like so much (square/round butt notwithstanding). It should balance similarly. Also moonoclips (10 TK clips for less than the cost of 2 Glock magazines) and 7 rounds. Since it's part of the pro series it will have a no-tools-needed front sight and a lighter action (OEM is Wolff Type 2 spring + longer strain screw).

By all means, buy as many pre-lock guns as you care for, but if you insist on the daily driver being the same you're drastically limiting your options. For a 9mm auto guy looking to branch out, the 986 is about as logical a conclusion as there is. It's not competitive in the common games, but that wasn't on your list. Match the grips on your 19 and you should be able to do the bulk of your practice with the 986 9mm and just do fam fire with the more valuable/collectible guns (e.g. your 19, or 19s plural if you want to get another one).

And there's nothing wrong with a WC or Match Champion Ruger. (I think the WC and MC both use a dovetailed front sight, so you lose the standard 'easy to change' GP sights that you listed as a plus. But in general the guns are fine.)

I'm biased towards TDA pistols so I voted SIG. Followed by CZ and Beretta, and specifically I'd be looking at a 225-A1 (NOT a 225/P6). If you look around you can find great deals on P239s which are fantastic guns but the grip is ergonomically inferior to the 225s (the frontstrap in particular has an unpleasant blockiness to it). And I don't think anyone here has a whole lot of experience with the -A1s and it would be cool to see a long-term evaluation of them.
    Last edited by ReverendMeat; 05-08-2016 at 01:22 PM. Reason: phrasing
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

Nothing wrong with buying another platform, although you might consider shooting USPSA with your Glock and see if that doesn't reignite some passion.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I agree with GJM--you don't need another handgun.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    I agree with GJM--you don't need another handgun.
    +1...it sounds like you already have a few guns....I'd focus on competition with them. Crushing fools in USPSA is more fun than buying a new gun, holster, mags/loaders and mag/loader pouches.

Buying guns doesn't make me happy. Buying ammo and being good at shooting guns makes me happy.

ETA-

Buying holsters makes me happy too,
    Last edited by 60167; 05-08-2016 at 02:47 PM.
    If you're not going to learn to use the front sight properly, don't bother with it. If pointing the gun, screaming "Ahhhhh!" and cranking on the trigger is all you can learn to do, work on doing that safely. -ToddG

User Tag List