26 19.85%
  • 9mm CZs

9 6.87%
  • Other - write in

6 4.58%
  • None - spend the money on ammo!

14 10.69%
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: "Passion of the Gun" - what platform next?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    I am not wholly opposed to buying internal lock Smiths - I just wouldn't really want to carry one without disabling the lock. Plus - from my limited experience anyhow - I've found that new Rugers are generally better built than new Smiths (in a wholly subjective + unquantifiable way), and are cheaper too - thus it makes me sort of hard up to justify buying an internal lock smith when I can get a revolver as well or better fitted than the Smith for less money, and without an internal lock.

That said I am not so dogmatic as to be unwilling to listen to a counter-argument if you have a good one. I am known to be wrong now and then...
    There is nothing wrong with the design of the new smiths, and you can get the plug for the Hillary hole. The QC on the newer guns is a bit of a crap shoot. I wouldn't buy a newer SW revolver without examining it in person.

Site Supporter
    Given your parameters, the SIG is the safest bet. G-10 grips and the short reach trigger can help with the small hands issue.

I'm partial to 1911's and revolvers.

If you go 9mm 1911, For $1k to $2k I would take a very hard look at the Dan Wessons (Valor,Valor Commander, Silberback, PM9) or an STI single stack like the Trojan or Lawman. For under $1k - the Colt Competition.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Given your parameters, the SIG is the safest bet. G-10 grips and the short reach trigger can help with the small hands issue.

I'm partial to 1911's and revolvers.

If you go 9mm 1911, For $1k to $2k I would take a very hard look at the Dan Wessons (Valor,Valor Commander, Silberback, PM9) or an STI single stack like the Trojan or Lawman. For under $1k - the Colt Competition.
    I'd probably be leaning towards under $1k as I am somewhat price sensitive - this is why 9mm 1911s are on the list, but not high up on it.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    There is nothing wrong with the design of the new smiths, and you can get the plug for the Hillary hole. The QC on the newer guns is a bit of a crap shoot. I wouldn't buy a newer SW revolver without examining it in person.
    Do you know what sort of problems I would be looking for specifically?

Site Supporter
    I'd probably be leaning towards under $1k as I am somewhat price sensitive - this is why 9mm 1911s are on the list, but not high up on it.

Do you know what sort of problems I would be looking for specifically?
    Re 1911's- I have been looking at SA Range Officers for some but little QC issues like dis-connector drag dissuaded me. I recently picked up an SA Combat Operator and as noted it had to go back for warranty work, as did Voldgrad's and JHC's. If I knew DW had finally released the Valors in 9mm I would have bought the DW over the SA. DW is a $1300 to $1800 gun but it "hits above its weight. It is the best built, best running 1911 you can get south of Wilson Combat money.

Sub $1k, the Colt Competition is very impressive. I believe PF member Farscott like his so much he bought a second !

Re; Revolvers, LSP 972 would be the best one to ask but some things I would look for are; Timing, trigger return, finishing on the crown and forcing cone.

I can make the doublestack 9mm SIGs work with factory plastic grips - if I was to get into SIGs, I'd probably start with a used 9mm P229 and then move into the single stack P225/P239s over time.

Are the new P225s worth the premium over the old used german ones?
    In my opinion yes. The trigger makes all the difference to me. Better magazines, new parts availability, new magazine availability. Nothing needs to be done to a new 225. The sights, grips, magazines are all good to go right out of the box.

Plus, I'm not sure how much you would save on a used 225 in good condition.

Maybe I'm talking myself into selling stuff to buy one and not you. I just really like the pistol.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Site Supporter
    There are lots of good choices on your list. Since this gun will be mostly for enjoyment I think either a 1911 or revolver are attractive options. If you do decide on going the 1911 route then you should either spend up for something like a Wilson Combat or be prepared to invest time and effort into the process of getting the most out of the gun's potential. If you go with a Colt or other good brand there is a decent chance you will get a gun that runs properly but the potential for getting a gun that needs some tuning is a bit higher than other options.

The last S&W revolver I bought was fine out of the box with no issues either mechanical or cosmetic. The trigger was a little heavier than I prefer.

Either a Sig P226 or Beretta 92G-SD would be pretty cool.

I went "all in" with revolvers. I currently own 5 Rugers; a Redhawk, an LCR, SP101, Match Champion, and a new GP100.
    The Match Champion I just put the new adjustable rear sight from Novak on. The GP100 is a "project" gun, and the SP101 is my EDC.
    Can you guess which way I voted?

Site Supporter
    My last fun gun was a SW 632 SS comp'ed model in 327 mag with the 3 inch barrel. Revolvers are fun. 1911s are a mix of practical and fun. 9mm are carry and related competition practice.

I go for fun revolvers in a new purchase.

There's alot of excellant choices on your list, unless I missed it, how much are you willing to spend? That would narrow the field down a bit, as far as Berettas go maybe check out a Vertec, the grip is a bit diferent than a 92, but it's designed for people with shorter fingers the LOP is about perfect for me. The CZ pcr is'nt a bad choice either, ( I own one)however the LOP to the trigger is longish, this can be fixed with some vz grips and a trigger swap, go to a older cz75 style trigger that cgw sells.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ralph View Post
    There's alot of excellant choices on your list, unless I missed it, how much are you willing to spend? That would narrow the field down a bit, as far as Berettas go maybe check out a Vertec, the grip is a bit diferent than a 92, but it's designed for people with shorter fingers the LOP is about perfect for me. The CZ pcr is'nt a bad choice either, ( I own one)however the LOP to the trigger is longish, this can be fixed with some vz grips and a trigger swap, go to a older cz75 style trigger that cgw sells.
    I am willing to spend what it takes to do right by whatever I finally choose, but I would prefer to opt for something that is a good value (i.e. best balance of quality per dollar). This would let me spend the rest of my money on backup guns, smaller carry versions of the original platform, support gear, etc. So, while 1911s are on the list, I am averse to them for that reason (price of .45 + price of making a 9mm 1911 run).
    Last edited by Nephrology; 05-08-2016 at 11:53 AM.

User Tag List