26 19.85%
  • 9mm CZs

9 6.87%
  • Other - write in

6 4.58%
  • None - spend the money on ammo!

14 10.69%
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: "Passion of the Gun" - what platform next?

A Wilson in 9mm makes me think dirty thoughts. I'm so glad my California overlords are protecting my from myself and don't allow us peons to purchase such a dangerous thing here.

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    Cool thanks. Someone asked me about good entry level 1911s and I recommended colt or Springfield in the 5 inch variety in 45
    I think you gave good advice. It isn't that you CAN'T get a 1911 in another configuration to run reliably. It's just that they can become a project, something that can be highly discouraging to a first time 1911 owner. A basic Colt Govt. Model, or a Springfield like those in the Range Officer series can be had for somewhere north or south of the $800 mark. Those are the only ones in that bracket I can recommend with a clear conscience. I've had both and used both hard. Heck, I used my first RO enough that I recently had to rebuild it with a new hammer, sear, etc. and it remains my main trainer/beater. The 9mm SA RO is running fine but it's only around the three thousand round mark, so I'm still wondering about that one.
    Last edited by Trooper224; 08-19-2016 at 02:35 PM.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    I think you gave good advice. It isn't that you CAN'T get a 1911 in another configuration to run reliably. It's just that they can become a project, something that can be highly discouraging to a first time 1911 owner. A basic Colt Govt. Model, or a Springfield like those in the Range Officer series can be had for somewhere north or south of the $800 mark. Those are the only ones in that bracket I can recommend with a clear conscience. I've had both and used both hard. Heck, I used my first RO enough that I recently had to rebuild it with a new hammer, sear, etc. and it remains my main trainer/beater. The 9mm SA RO is running fine but it's only around the three thousand round mark, so I'm still wondering about that one.
    They wanted 45, I tried to convince them a 4.25 9mm was the way
    Last edited by breakingtime91; 08-19-2016 at 02:50 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    So the question becomes, does +P ammo reduce reliability?
    I would say no, just the opposite.

1911 was designed around the 45 acp which has more energy than 9mm. Theoretically, a lighter slide, like on a 4 or 4.25" gun would take less energy to cycle reliably than the slide on a 5" gun (more mass/ weight).

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    I would say no, just the opposite.

1911 was designed around the 45 acp which has more energy than 9mm. Theoretically, a lighter slide, like on a 4 or 4.25" gun would take less energy to cycle reliably than the slide on a 5" gun (more mass/ weight).
    Well, the 45 ACP has more momentum but not more kinetic energy (Both have about 350 ft/lb IIRC). I don't know which one is more important to reliability in a 1911 format. Also, wouldn't a +P make the lighter slide cycle faster, which could have an effect on reliaibility?

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    I'm debating a 38 super just because Great Depression Gunfighter... and that means either that or a 38/44 Triple Lock...and of the two, the 1911 would be cheaper...

Now that's weird to say.

But also because 38 super is just kewl.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    I'd just get a 10mm at that point

Ammo is probably more available and no need to deal with the semi rim either.

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    They wanted 45, I tried to convince them a 4.25 9mm was the way
    Communist
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by pastaslinger View Post
    I'd just get a 10mm at that point

Ammo is probably more available and no need to deal with the semi rim either.
    That seems more logical...really it does. I reload so availability is a bit of a moot point as long as components are available and I do need to find some caliber to use my 8lb jug of Power Pistol on...plus a 9mm has compatibility with a 38 super and there's already a 9mm commander in my stable...plus I've been considering building a government model 9mm and just having a .38 super barrel would be nifty

User Tag List