Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu vs Krav Maga Part II

[QUOTE=ford.304;443170]Just wait until you get your first stripe. Then your feeling of confusion will be replaced by occasional feelings of accomplishment... that are immediately crushed because your excitement left you open to get choked/armbarred :/

Just remember Master Ken's ultimate BJJ escape

Haha, that is the one move I have perfected already.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    I highly recommend taking notes, once you're a little more comfortable with the terminology. You're going to have a lot of information thrown at you, and a significant percentage will go in one ear, and out the other.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    I highly recommend taking notes, once you're a little more comfortable with the terminology. You're going to have a lot of information thrown at you, and a significant percentage will go in one ear, and out the other.
    I've thought about that and I think what I'll do is keep kind of a log after each session. Been reading many of the suggestions by others and get a couple of newsletters that will help familiarize me with the lingo. To add to the challenge is the professor is Brazilian and not the easiest to understand. But so far the people there have been very helpful in working with me to understand what I'm doing. Good suggestion, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NCmtnman View Post
    Are you training Gi or no Gi? I found that my time training in a Gi was more for sport and when it came to applications where it involved the use of a heavy color I was a little lost in a more realistic application. Aside from that the BJJ training is beneficial and it's a real mental game.
    I don't know about that. Most people walk around in clothing or jackets which produce a lot of friction like a GI does.

Quote Originally Posted by GAP View Post
    I don't know about that. Most people walk around in clothing or jackets which produce a lot of friction like a GI does.
    Yup, shirts tend to hold up well enough to choke and/or make grips to move/sweep/etc. A gi is merely something that won't tear after each choke.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by Dismas316 View Post
    This is a follow up to my original post: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....u-or-Krav-Maga

Really good thread and informative if you are bored but to make along story short, there was a lot of quality information that I gained from the comments. So to all that took the time to post thank you. Well from all the quality suggestions I joined a bjj academy this past week and attended a few classes already. Needles to say, it's been challenging to say the least. Seems simple, as each move is described, but not as easy to execute properly. (I've got a long way to go). I find my self thinking way tomuch of what the heck I'm supposed to do, and getting my butt kicked, but they clearly they are taking it easy on the newbie. (Thankfully) But overall pretty fun. Now I'm no spring chicken, wish I would have discovered this in my 20's. I'm 51 years old but for my age in pretty good shape (worked out in varies ways most my life). Body is sore is some odd places, mainly my lower back but no big deal. Definetly need to start stretching.

Anyway I look forward to the journey, my expectations at this point is just try to learns the basic fundamentals and see where it goes, and have some fun. I post this mainly because I wanted to thank all who took the time to share their thoughts and they because of that you've motivate me to take action. So thank you.
    You'll be fine. Conditioning comes with work and it's a never ending battle. Like everything else that's physical, you can certainly help yourself by running, hitting weights etc whenever you can. In other words, just because you're doing BJJ, don't ignore other conditioning activities or opportunities. Nick and Nate Diaz do a lot of long distance running and cycling. Personally, I think a good martial arts conditioning program includes running, jumping, core work and weights. Frequency depends on how often you're going to practice and how much time you have.

The terminology and execution will come with time, drilling, working outside of class etc. My martial arts experience has been that it takes everyone time to pick up the finer details. That's okay. And to me, this is a great time for you to take it up. You're learning just because you want to learn. That's the best time.

Into my 3rd week and I just finally getting a grasp of what the heck I'm doing. Starting to understand the terminology a bit better. I actually have an idea of what I want to do but it's a lot harder to execute for sure. I have always been pretty fit and have been working out fairly regularly for years but man my back, particularly my lower back has been really sore all the time. Had to google some back stretches and exercises that have helped. Anyway been fun so far and as I begin to scratch the surface I realize that this is a long journey but hopefully my body holds up and this becomes a regular routine.

Thanks for all the great advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Dismas316 View Post
    ...but man my back, particularly my lower back has been really sore all the time. Had to google some back stretches and exercises that have helped. Anyway been fun so far and as I begin to scratch the surface I realize that this is a long journey but hopefully my body holds up and this becomes a regular routine.

Thanks for all the great advice.
    http://www.amazon.com/Stretching-30t...C+bob+anderson

Seriously.

So it seems BJJ is favored here. I have a sidebar question if I may. For those of us who have seriously flexibility issues and limitations, is BJJ still the way to go over Krav? As a result of a motorcycle racing accident, went off the bike at over 130mph, Ive got some serious hardware in my spine. I simply can not bend or move the way I used to. So Im looking for the discipline that can cope with that limitation. Additionally Im not terribly interested in belts etc etc, Im just interested in improving my unarmed self defense capabilities.

Regards,
    Shane

Lots of people have limitations, they merely shape your game. Most people can't bend the way they should be able to and flexibility is the limit for many.

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using an owl
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

User Tag List