Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu vs Krav Maga Part II

Glad to help.

If you can get though Reddit's strange posting order (it's nothing like a regular forum), there's some real gold on there. It's literally a lot like gold panning - there's a lot of crap you just flush down stream but every once in a while a piece of gold like that article shows up.
    "Well you know, it's a toolbox. You put the tools in for the job." Sam

Quote Originally Posted by Jay585 View Post
    Glad to help.

If you can get though Reddit's strange posting order (it's nothing like a regular forum), there's some real gold on there. It's literally a lot like gold panning - there's a lot of crap you just flush down stream but every once in a while a piece of gold like that article shows up.
    The BJJ subreddit is one of the best subs on there, IMO. Very friendly people, some very experienced people post there, and tons of threads with useful info.
    "I think we ought always to entertain our opinions with some measure of doubt. I shouldn't wish people dogmatically to believe any philosophy, not even mine." - Bertrand Russell

Just wait until you get your first stripe. Then your feeling of confusion will be replaced by occasional feelings of accomplishment... that are immediately crushed because your excitement left you open to get choked/armbarred :/

Just remember Master Ken's ultimate BJJ escape

Last edited by ford.304; 05-11-2016 at 12:16 PM.

Typical exchange during the Q&A session of a BJJ seminar or class:
    "Professor, every time I try x from position y, my opponent does z and escapes/ I get submitted."
    Answer: "Then don't do x from y, do this" or "Why are you trying that from there/against a higher belt? ”

The answer always involves something you've learned from day 1, and is followed by looks of ”Why didn't I think of that, holy shit that's cool!" by everyone from white belt all the way up to the other black belts.
    BJJ is exactly that simple, and exactly that complicated 😀
    Or as one of the Gracies said "You do this,I do that. You do that ,I do this. Forever."

Quote Originally Posted by ford.304 View Post
    Just wait until you get your first stripe. Then your feeling of confusion will be replaced by occasional feelings of accomplishment... that are immediately crushed because your excitement left you open to get choked/armbarred :/

Just remember Master Ken's ultimate BJJ escape

love the amount of red stripes he has on his belt hahahaha
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Are you training Gi or no Gi? I found that my time training in a Gi was more for sport and when it came to applications where it involved the use of a heavy color I was a little lost in a more realistic application. Aside from that the BJJ training is beneficial and it's a real mental game.

Good on you for doing your research and then executing your plan! I think the hardest thing about Jits is having the courage to walk through the door (yeah, and then to roll around the floor with sweaty guys wearing pajamas). I train at a school with many guys who started in their 40's or 50's, including several black belts now in their 60's. Great advice on perusing Kesting's "Roadmap to BJJ." It can be confusing for newbies, and an important first step is understanding where you are (i.e. this is closed guard, this is half guard, etc). That free ebook does a good job of explaining vocabulary, the fundamental positions, and what you should think about doing from each. Also, as a mature white belt (or any white belt for that matter) - tap early and often. There's no prize for riding out a choke or armbar too long in training. Tap, learn, and start again. You've already done the hardest part, now enjoy and let the addiction take hold

lawdogx do you train at ATT with J.W.?

Yes Sir, started a few years back after he stomped my guts in your ECQC class

Man you need to come back and show those hard earned skillz!!

User Tag List