Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu vs Krav Maga Part II

Quote Originally Posted by krav51 View Post
    Question for the BJJ guys here,when you grapple do you usually begin on the the ground or standing? thanks
    It's based on what we're working on. In some gyms it's also based on the membership. I have a lot of wrestlers and judoka in my gym, and two of my assistant coaches also coach wrestling at the collegiate and high school level. A few of our guys have medaled at Judo Nationals, numerous times. We also have a 9th Dan Judo black belt on staff so our guys don't really need the standing work during BJJ when they could use that time to focus on escapes or finishing submissions. As a result we might start with guys pinned against the fence standing or on the ground, other times we start with guys under side control, or knee on belly, again it all depends on what we're working on. I'm testing for my black belt/dan rank in Judo in a couple months so I'm hyper focused on my Judo game as a result I've been starting almost 100% of my training time from the feet. Once I reach that objective I might do a focused block on De La Riva guard for a month or something similar, again all dependent upon my goals.
    Last edited by Paul Sharp; 06-21-2016 at 08:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sharp View Post
    It's based on what we're working on. In some gyms it's also based on the membership. I have a lot of wrestlers and judoka in my gym, and two of my assistant coaches also coach wrestling at the collegiate and high school level. A few of our guys have medaled at Judo Nationals, numerous times. We also have a 9th Dan Judo black belt on staff so our guys don't really need the standing work during BJJ when they could use that time to focus on escapes or finishing submissions. As a result we might start with guys pinned against the fence standing or on the ground, other times we start with guys under side control, or knee on belly, again it all depends on what we're working on. I'm testing for my black belt/dan rank in Judo in a couple months so I'm hyper focused on my Judo game as a result I've been starting almost 100% of my training time from the feet. Once I reach that objective I might do a focused block on De La Riva guard for a month or something similar, again all dependent upon my goals.
    Makes sense to start from a position of disadvantage and train from there.We try to never go to the ground,and if we end up there,our main goal is to do damage and get up before a weapon can be used or a friend(bystander) decides to kick you in the head.I got a chance to train with a high ranking BJJ guy a while ago,very impressive.Wish i had the time to cross train in BJJ as well as Krav,used in the right context in a fight i think it would be highly effective.

Quote Originally Posted by krav51 View Post
    Question for the BJJ guys here,when you grapple do you usually begin on the the ground or standing? thanks
    I would like to start standing (for the most part) but we just don't have the space.
    "I think we ought always to entertain our opinions with some measure of doubt. I shouldn't wish people dogmatically to believe any philosophy, not even mine." - Bertrand Russell

I'm lucky in the fact that my Krav gym also offers BJJ. I just tested for my orange belt in Krav a few weeks ago. Now I'm planning on taking more classes "on the other mat" as we call it. My Krav instructors talk about how the two compliment each other very well... to the point where they have started integrating more BJJ into the "standard" Krav training. We spent an entire class working forward rolls, back rolls, back and side breakfalls, then moved onto starting on the bottom, bucking, either hipping out or trap and rolling out, then gaining mount on our partner.

User Tag List