Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu vs Krav Maga Part II

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu vs Krav Maga Part II

This is a follow up to my original post: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....u-or-Krav-Maga

Really good thread and informative if you are bored but to make along story short, there was a lot of quality information that I gained from the comments. So to all that took the time to post thank you. Well from all the quality suggestions I joined a bjj academy this past week and attended a few classes already. Needles to say, it's been challenging to say the least. Seems simple, as each move is described, but not as easy to execute properly. (I've got a long way to go). I find my self thinking way tomuch of what the heck I'm supposed to do, and getting my butt kicked, but they clearly they are taking it easy on the newbie. (Thankfully) But overall pretty fun. Now I'm no spring chicken, wish I would have discovered this in my 20's. I'm 51 years old but for my age in pretty good shape (worked out in varies ways most my life). Body is sore is some odd places, mainly my lower back but no big deal. Definetly need to start stretching.

Anyway I look forward to the journey, my expectations at this point is just try to learns the basic fundamentals and see where it goes, and have some fun. I post this mainly because I wanted to thank all who took the time to share their thoughts and they because of that you've motivate me to take action. So thank you.

Really nice to see someone following through like this.
    #RESIST

^^^This. Way to go, dismas316.
    Last edited by Totem Polar; 05-06-2016 at 07:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dismas316 View Post
    This is a follow up to my original post: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....u-or-Krav-Maga

Really good thread and informative if you are bored but to make along story short, there was a lot of quality information that I gained from the comments. So to all that took the time to post thank you. Well from all the quality suggestions I joined a bjj academy this past week and attended a few classes already. Needles to say, it's been challenging to say the least. Seems simple, as each move is described, but not as easy to execute properly. (I've got a long way to go). I find my self thinking way tomuch of what the heck I'm supposed to do, and getting my butt kicked, but they clearly they are taking it easy on the newbie. (Thankfully) But overall pretty fun. Now I'm no spring chicken, wish I would have discovered this in my 20's. I'm 51 years old but for my age in pretty good shape (worked out in varies ways most my life). Body is sore is some odd places, mainly my lower back but no big deal. Definetly need to start stretching.

Anyway I look forward to the journey, my expectations at this point is just try to learns the basic fundamentals and see where it goes, and have some fun. I post this mainly because I wanted to thank all who took the time to share their thoughts and they because of that you've motivate me to take action. So thank you.
    Great to hear this, as I'm your age and am soon to join as a newbie with a (much younger) co-worker, who is now a purple belt in his 6th year of BJJ training.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Not like I'm a gerontologist or anything...but I bet after six months of doing this, you'll feel younger than when you started.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Quote Originally Posted by misanthropist View Post
    Not like I'm a gerontologist or anything...but I bet after six months of doing this, you'll feel younger than when you started.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk
    I hope your right because I certainly feel every bit my age right now.

Quote Originally Posted by ubervic View Post
    Great to hear this, as I'm your age and am soon to join as a newbie with a (much younger) co-worker, who is now a purple belt in his 6th year of BJJ training.
    That's a great idea to have a friend to train with, it'll accelarate your learning curve to have someone to work with all the time. Good for you.
    Last edited by Dismas316; 05-06-2016 at 08:13 PM.

I started a couple months ago (largely because absolutely every instructor this community looks up to seemed to recommend it). I dunno about feeling younger... I'm 32 and in good shape, and I feel like I've got something new aching every day. But damn if it isn't already slowing down a little bit.

If you haven't already, read the free "A Roadmap For Brazilian Jiu Jitsu"

http://www.grapplearts.com/free-bjj-book-online-course/

Then come back in a month or two and read it again and actually understand it.

I don't watch any UFC, so I was just swimming in confused terminology for my first couple weeks. This helps with that a bit.

I also watch the heck out of youtube ahead of and after every lesson. Lots of content there from good instructors, and sometimes the extra mental reps can help when you aren't working on the physical ones.
    Last edited by ford.304; 05-06-2016 at 08:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ford.304 View Post
    I started a couple months ago (largely because absolutely every instructor this community looks up to seemed to recommend it). I dunno about feeling younger... I'm 32 and in good shape, and I feel like I've got something new aching every day. But damn if it isn't already slowing down a little bit.

If you haven't already, read the free "A Roadmap For Brazilian Jiu Jitsu"

http://www.grapplearts.com/free-bjj-book-online-course/

Then come back in a month or two and read it again and actually understand it.

I don't watch any UFC, so I was just swimming in confused terminology for my first couple weeks. This helps with that a bit.

I also watch the heck out of youtube ahead of and after every lesson. Lots of content there from good instructors, and sometimes the extra mental reps can help when you aren't working on the physical ones.
    Thanks, I actually downloaded that this morning for the exact reason you mention. Just understanding the language is a bit of a challenge so thanks for the confirmation that it's just not me.

I was getting discouraged with myself because I felt like I was the Lennie Smalls of the gym.

Then I read this and realized that it was just normal. Maybe this'll help you too:

The Four Phases of Learning When Starting Out in BJJ

This is something I’d thought I’d share for all the people relatively early in their training career. I can distinctly remembering considering quitting a number of times when I was a white belt out of frustration and thinking that I did not have the athletic ability to train BJJ. The real problem is I didn’t have perspective on how the learning process in BJJ works. And I didn’t gain that perspective and understanding until almost a year in. A lot of people quit before then just because they think they are doing so poorly when, in reality, what they were experiencing is fairly common. So, for those of you having a hard time with starting BJJ here is, in my experience, what you should expect:

One thing just about everyone struggles with when starting Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is remembering all of the steps involved when learning a new technique. This is multiplied by the fact that not only are new players trying to remember the technique they just saw but the three other ones the instructor showed earlier in the class. It can be a huge source of frustration when you’ve just learned how to do all of these cool moves and you can’t remember how to do a single one of them after. I missed many an exit on the highway driving to and from BJJ class, rapt in concentration and trying to remember all of the steps to the techniques I just learned. I wanted to let everyone experiencing something similar that it’s ok, relax. This is completely normal. BJJ is a marathon not a sprint. The most important thing is to show up and be consistent. If you do that, the rest will take care of itself. In the meantime expect to go through these four phases for just about every technique you learn for quite a while.

Phase 1 - I have no clue what I’m doing You just saw this move for the first time, we’ll call it the ‘sushi bar’. It is literally like nothing you’ve ever done before. You have no idea where anything goes. It’s like some bizarre game of Twister except on another human body. You remember steps 3 and 4 on the first rep, then you realize you forget steps 1 and 2. Next rep you get steps 1 and 2, forget 3 and 4 and try to skip to 5. You look and feel totally awkward and by the end of the drill you only have a vague idea of how this works but then you forget most of it anyway in a few days.

Phase 2 - I saw the opportunity but I was too late to take advantage of it. After seeing the instructor show the sushi bar a few times in class and drilling it you can finally remember all of the steps. You’re rolling in class and you see the perfect set up but your opponent moves before you even have a chance to try. You spend the ride home after training kicking yourself for missing that golden opportunity and you resolve that you won’t miss it the next time, but you still do.

Phase 3 - I can’t quite finish it It’s been a month or two since you first learned the sushi bar. You’ve seen a lot of different moves since then and you have varying degrees of understanding for all of them. Some you still can’t remember and some you have a decent grasp on. The sushi bar is old hat, you could probably even show a newbie how to do it at this point. Now you see the opportunities when you’re rolling, you react and try to apply it but your opponent always seems to be able to just escape or counter it enough so it doesn’t work.

Phase 4 - Success! You finally pull it off. After seeing the sushi bar a few months ago, drilling it a bunch of times, just missing the technique while rolling you finally, finally, finally catch someone in it and get the tap! Congratulations! You’ve learned to apply a technique against a fully resisting opponent. The feeling is just awesome, like crushing a golf ball off the tee or hitting a home run.

Learning how to apply a BJJ technique in live sparring is a long process. When you look at how much time it can take to learn how to apply just one technique, let alone master it, you can begin to understand why it can take much longer to get a black belt in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu than other martial arts. This is just a rough idea of how learning every technique will go at first. There is good news. It’s only this hard and this slow in the very beginning. The more you train and the more techniques you know, the easier it gets to learn new ones and the faster you get at the whole process. You can even speed it up significantly by doing extra drilling for moves that you’re having trouble remembering. So if you’re feeling frustrated and overwhelmed by everything you’re learning remember that everyone goes through this. It’s all part of the process. Be patient, be consistent, remember to drill the moves and most of all, enjoy your time on the mat. Hopefully this gives some insight into what it’s like to start BJJ and can relieve some frustration and anxiety for anyone feeling overwhelmed by all there is to learn. Regards, Phil at BJJNation.com Edit: metaphor correction
    https://www.reddit.com/r/bjj/comment...arting_out_in/
    "Well you know, it's a toolbox. You put the tools in for the job." Sam

Jay585. That is spot on!! While it's only been a week phase 1 is exactly what going on. Sucks that it likely will be that way for some time but I'm saving this article as a reminder. On my second day I'm watching the moves being taught and I'm like "I got this" and then when it's my turn to doing I go blank thinking "what was the first move again". Thank you for this, I'm sure I'll be reading this fairly often.

User Tag List