Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New 2 part casing design

Site Supporter
    I have no stake in this, and no information other than the article. But the idea seemed interesting. cheaper ammo which is still in reloadable cases is what got my interest.

They've been working on two-part cases with metal case heads and polymer case walls for sometime. It seems like they are using the same design here but substituting inexpensive stainless steel for the polymer.

The bit where they say these cases have been tested to 65K psi is interesting, too. That's almost 30K psi above the SAAMI limit for 9mm. Sounds like in theory, at least, they're good to go for Open shooters loading 9mm to major PF.

Site Supporter

The new sizing dies use a spring that pushes the case out from the inside, instead of pulling the case out from the outside. This suggest that a high traction force from the base may damage the interlocking parts, and this would be a concern when a spent case gets stuck in the chamber and the only practical way to rapidly extract it is using the pistol extractor.

The brass cases work well and are not too expensive. In 9 mm you can reload them almost forever, they usually get lost before they get worn, I don't see much future for these cases.

A quick overview of what is being developed for the .mil, from page 13:

http://www.dtic.mil/ndia/2016armament/18260_Schatz.pdf

They have been tinkering with case telescoped ammo and two-part cases with metal case heads and polymer case walls for quite some time. I wonder if the technology will eventually mature to replace brass cases, and when. There is also a lot of work done on monolithic steel and aluminum cases, but apparently is less promising for some reason.

The US .mil is mixing the search for lighter cases with experimentation of new calibers, and they will probably take a looong time to decide.

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    The bit where they say these cases have been tested to 65K psi is interesting, too. That's almost 30K psi above the SAAMI limit for 9mm. Sounds like in theory, at least, they're good to go for Open shooters loading 9mm to major PF.
    That is REALLY interesting. Since I don't think the chambers for 9mm pistols can handle those pressures...

User Tag List