Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New 2 part casing design

Site Supporter

New 2 part casing design

Two part case, nickel plated aluminum case head with stainless case walls. Supposed to be reload able using proprietary dies.

Westport, Conn. (Ammoland.com) – Shell Shock Technologies, LLC. (SST), a start-up technology and manufacturing company focused on developing disruptive case technologies for the ammunition industry, has officially launched their first product; the NAS3 two-piece 9mm Nickel Alloy Shell
    The NAS3 two-piece case consists of a solid nickel-plated aircraft aluminum head and a proprietary enhanced nickel alloy stainless cylinder. The 9mm case is 50% lighter and costs significantly less than conventional brass cases. The weight savings will be even more dramatic for rifle cases.
    http://www.ammoland.com/2016/05/firs...#axzz47VtX5dDk
    Last edited by HCM; 05-06-2016 at 02:38 AM.

Saving about 30 gr compared to a brass case in 9 mm is meaningless, that's only about 18% of total round weight with a typical 124 gr bullet.
    This is 0.2 lbs if you carry three 15 round mags.

Solution looking for a problem.

Real breakthrough will be when metal (SS or alum) base + polymer body becomes available AND truly works, for rifle/carbine rounds. That's where the big weight savings are. Currently there is 50 BMG ammo of this type being field tested. We'll see...
    Last edited by TiroFijo; 05-06-2016 at 07:51 AM.

I want bullets that explode, like mini he rounds.

That would be a solution to a problem I'd pay for.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

I'm hoping for 10mm explosive tipped caseless rounds and the pulse rifles to fire them.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911guy View Post
    Yeah, but you look like a tactical hobo in flip flops.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    A world without violence is about as likely as a world where I get to, um, "date" at least 3 A-list actresses and/or supermodels every single day. Ain't happening.

Quote Originally Posted by TiroFijo View Post
    Saving about 30 gr compared to a brass case in 9 mm is meaningless, that's only about 18% of total round weight with a typical 124 gr bullet.
    This is 0.2 lbs if you carry three 15 round mags.
    That'll be a big deal when fuel prices go back up. For the guy carrying 45 rounds it's a couple ounces, for the manufacturer shipping 45 million rounds 18% more cargo for the same weight is significant.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Testers have reported up to 40 reloads. NAS3 cases eject cool to-the-touch and can be picked up with a magnet (great for outdoor ranges).
    Cheaper than brass and 40 reloads per case? Magnet pick up instead of the lobster crawl to get your brass back? You've got my attention.

Depending on the type of stainless I wouldn't bet on a magnet pickup.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Cheaper than brass and 40 reloads per case? Magnet pick up instead of the lobster crawl to get your brass back? You've got my attention.
    Oh yeah......that is awfully tempting.....

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Indeed; one wonders what the "proprietary dies" are like, how much they'll cost, and whether they'll work properly with "normal" brass cases. (I get most of my brass from cleaning up after matches, and I imagine these will take a while to become popular, so it'd be preferable to be able to load both types of cases with the same dies.)

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    Indeed; one wonders what the "proprietary dies" are like, how much they'll cost, and whether they'll work properly with "normal" brass cases. (I get most of my brass from cleaning up after matches, and I imagine these will take a while to become popular, so it'd be preferable to be able to load both types of cases with the same dies.)
    I dunno. To be honest, I came to this thread expecting to hate the idea and pounce on why it was stupid to not fix whats not broken blah blah blah because new things suck and old things are awesome. I'm intrigued, though.

User Tag List