Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hard sided travel bags

I have a 4 wheel hardside polycarbonate spinner from Delsey, bought over 20 years ago, that has a combination lock plus two key locks and a solid perimeter (no damn zippers). Of course, they don't offer it anymore, since it isn't "TSA compliant".
    I've been carrying sidearms within CONUS using it all that time, and never yet had anything stolen.

The airlines have managed to break it a couple times (broke a wheel mount and a handle mount at different times), but so far I've been able to get it professionally repaired with satisfactory results.

I'm glad to know about those currently-available cases as listed by several of the above posters, since my old faithful Delsey can't last forever. I'd thought I was going to have to get a Pelikan (good and strong but really heavy), but maybe not.
    Last edited by SAWBONES; 05-05-2016 at 07:53 PM.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

Site Supporter
    Rimowa is a metal hard sided suitcase with latches. I know nothing about them other then seeing ads for them. Pricey but look really well made. Rimowa also has polycarbonate cases n
    http://www.rimowa.com/en-us/

And gearpatrol.com has an article on the best hard sided luggage available. And rimowa is included as a bonus write up.
    http://gearpatrol.com/2013/12/06/bes...ell-suitcases/

Site Supporter
    If you are checking your bag Pelican makes good hard cases. Get any size you want since you won't be fighting to put it in an overhead compartment. As an alternative, if you are carrying on, which means no gun, take a look at Red Oxx bags. Soft sided, no wheels. I pack a weeks worth in their Air Boss and it fits into the smallest overheads. They also work as checked luggage. Very durable, don't rip and zippers stay shut.

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    Nothing is going to hold up very long to baggage handlers. Nothing.
    The OP said no Pelican, but my pelican cases have been all over the world, and are no worse for wear. I incur overweight charges every time, but, well, I don't care. If I had to foot the bill every time, I might look elsewhere.

OP,

My wife uses an inexpensive Samsonite case, and just plans on having to replace it every year or two. About $100, iirc. They are hard plastic, lightweight, and have buckle closure instead of zippers. With a strap around them, they have never come open by accident.

I looked at every bag on the gear patrol site review posted above not one had the ability to accept NON-TSA locks? That is a requirement for traveling with firearms, I recently purchased a pelican 1510 lap-top overnight case for that specific purpose and yes it is heavy but it did not push me over the limit. My other is a very large EMS rolling duffle with heavy duty zippers and fastex straps to secure it all.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    The OP said no Pelican, but my pelican cases have been all over the world, and are no worse for wear. I incur overweight charges every time, but, well, I don't care. If I had to foot the bill every time, I might look elsewhere.

OP,

My wife uses an inexpensive Samsonite case, and just plans on having to replace it every year or two. About $100, iirc. They are hard plastic, lightweight, and have buckle closure instead of zippers. With a strap around them, they have never come open by accident.
    The reason for no Pelican case is to keep a low profile. I typically run a pelican case inside my regular checked luggage. With rifles its a different story so I do run one of those if I am taking it with me. Jackdog, I will look into the metal case.

The airlines are brutal on bags. Just this evening while sitting on the plane in Denver, I observed a baggage handler driving the cart so fast that two bags decided to jump ship in the middle of the tarmac. Another handler came by in another cart and picked them up and slung them into the back of his cart and proceeded on.

Hard sided travel bags

They don't sell it in the states but if you get to Germany (for example) Samsonite makes an excellent series called f'lite.

This is the 31" (which I own and use for family vacations). Samsonite F'lite GT Spinner 31, Black, One Size https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005SLEEFI..._0OclxbADFNBY8

I have a 19" international carry on that is my day-in-day-out bag. I only use hardsided latched cases.

I have not yet bought a Rimowa -- they're very dear -- but if I can't get f'lite in the future I will have to do so.

Credentials: around 2.5 million international miles and a million domestic.
    Last edited by JAD; 05-06-2016 at 12:29 AM.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by GOTURBACK View Post
    I looked at every bag on the gear patrol site review posted above not one had the ability to accept NON-TSA locks? That is a requirement for traveling with firearms, I recently purchased a pelican 1510 lap-top overnight case for that specific purpose and yes it is heavy but it did not push me over the limit. My other is a very large EMS rolling duffle with heavy duty zippers and fastex straps to secure it all.
    If you're traveling frequently with a firearm, my suggestion is to use a standard suitcase, and place your firearm in a hard case that is locked to the frame of the bag. I use a Pelican 1150 to carry a handgun and ammunition, lock it with a non-TSA lock, cable it to the frame of the suit-case, and then lock the suitcase with a TSA lock. They either cut the cable and steal the case or steal the whole suitcase. Nothing about that is different than them stealing an entire pelican case with a gun in it. It just saves you from trying to find super secure luggage, which is harder to find than a Abloy padlock and a short steel cable.

I am extremely happy with my Pelican, and I know the OP said no Pelican, but not sure if he knew about the Elite line. I got 3 pieces, 1 of each size. They are super durable, and great with warranty. I bent a handle in Russia this winter by landing on it on ice. Can't fault it. They had me field destroy that bag at home and sent me a new one. They do not look like gun bags, but are latching with a built in TSA lock, hard sided and you can get them with a top liner organizer. I've been through 20+ airports and countries since I got them and they only have rub marks on them. When I get to a match the carry on one becomes my range bag. The field destroyed one at home had been repaired (drilled holes in it and then patched them) straightened the handle and it is my range bag at home (medium size)
    ...and to think today you just have fangs

Rob Engh
    BC, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Slavex View Post
    I am extremely happy with my Pelican, and I know the OP said no Pelican, but not sure if he knew about the Elite line. I got 3 pieces, 1 of each size. They are super durable, and great with warranty. I bent a handle in Russia this winter by landing on it on ice. Can't fault it. They had me field destroy that bag at home and sent me a new one. They do not look like gun bags, but are latching with a built in TSA lock, hard sided and you can get them with a top liner organizer. I've been through 20+ airports and countries since I got them and they only have rub marks on them. When I get to a match the carry on one becomes my range bag. The field destroyed one at home had been repaired (drilled holes in it and then patched them) straightened the handle and it is my range bag at home (medium size)
    Not aware of the Pelican Elite. I will look into those as well. Thank you!

User Tag List