Thread: Truisms

Truisms

The Pat Rogers quote thread got me to thinking about common themes, ideas, ideals etc I see from what I consider influential instructors.

I particularly like this one from Pat:

“Theory has a nasty habit of falling by the wayside when the enemy has a vote...”

I'm continually amazed, and maybe I shouldn't be, by the commonality of thought and advice I see in the words of guys like Awerbuck, Smith, Cooper and Rogers. (And there are others I haven't listed.)

Their Gunsite lineage obviously plays a role and so does their military experience. (BTDT and have the scars to prove it kind of thing.)

I see the same basic principles expressed in one way or another by these guys and I'm left with the impression that maybe I really need to take stuff like this to heart. It's like they know what's good, what works and what's BS.

It's good to see this stuff repeated. It helps keep me focused and away from "gotta have new hardware" time sink holes.
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

When Ayoob wrote down what he called the, "Survival Priorities," 30 some years ago, he probably was inspired to do so by the words, and ideas of his predecessors and his peers, as well as his own education and experience.

Probably the same/similar thing happened with all of the other great minds in the firearms training industry. After all, there are no advanced gunfights...and there are only so many ways a guy can get robbed at an ATM or in a parking lot. None of that ever boils down to equipment...hence why Ayoob listed it last in his hierarchy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My late friend Louis Awerbuck was very much the same.
    I spent lots of range time with him and marveled at his ability to cut through the BS.
    Shumba

Thread reminded me of a recent Claude Werner article:

https://tacticalprofessor.wordpress....mong-trainers/
    Last edited by warpedcamshaft; 05-05-2016 at 03:24 PM.

All of those guys believe that only hits count, and with the conspicuous exception of Cooper, they all came to focus on that rather than get worked up about the rest of it.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

User Tag List