Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Battlefield Vegas This Weekend

Battlefield Vegas This Weekend

So I'm headed to Vegas this weekend and a little birdie told me that I'll be making a stop at the Battlefield Vegas range. I'm ridiculously stoked as there's just a ton of really cool stuff there that I'd love to get my mitts on. Problem is, I'm not made of money and I don't want to waste my time on stuff that just isn't worth it. That's where you guys come in. I'm looking for suggestions on stuff that is a "must try" for someone that hasn't had their hands on a bunch of different small arms. Here's a sample of what I'm thinking about trying to go with:

Glock 18
    Luger P-08
    FN Five-seveN (probably not worth it?)
    Tokarev
    USP-45
    Mauser C-96

AK-47 (never actually shot one, but now that I think about it, I think I know of a local range that can rents one)
    Steyr AUG
    STG-44
    FN FAL
    AK-74

MP5-SD
    Thompson M-1928

Barrett M107A1
    Springfield M-1903A4

M-249 SAW
    M1918-A2 Browning Automatic Rifle

Obviously I'd love to shoot everything there, but I'd like to try to keep it realistic without breaking the bank. I'd also love to get my hands on the ma deuce, but that might be a bit too rich for this trip.

What are your thoughts?

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Well... what is it you are looking to get out of this, exactly?

If you already own a bunch of handguns and/or aren't specifically looking to pick up a new platform, I'd skip handguns altogether. The Five-SeveN is fun for one magazine but otherwise the ergos are crappy and the grip texture is unpleasant.

For full auto stuff, I really like MP5s and Uzis. did not love the Sten I shot. Never fired any rifle-caliber FA.

If you like historical weapons, I'd definitely try the STG44 and the BAR. Maybe P08 and the C96. I would definitely pass on the tokarev.

AKs are cool. I'f shoot the 74 if you had to pick between the two. I don't find them that much fun to shoot though to be honest. I owned one in x39 for a while, sold it, don't have any particular longing to buy another.
    Last edited by Nephrology; 05-04-2016 at 09:34 AM.

Really I'm just looking to shoot some stuff that isn't common to find for rent at most places and/or I haven't personally shot before. I'm not super huge into historical weapons, yet, but I could see myself nerding out over it in the future. I'd definitely like to try the full-auto options as I've never shot anything full auto before. The MP5 just looks intriguing. I'd probably never own one, but it looks cool as hell and it's reputation precedes it. I've never shot an HK pistol ever (*gasp*, yes I know, a PF member that hasn't shot an HK before, oh the humanity...). Who wouldn't want to get their mitts on a C-96 or a P-08?

The tip about the Five-seveN being over rated I kinda figured would be the case. I'll probably pass on it ultimately.

Site Supporter
    I'd give the G18 a go. MP5's are always fun especially in SD form. I enjoyed the Thompson I shot and would like to give it another go. Belt fun is always a hoot for me. I'd pass on the FAL, AK's, and AUG but I've also owned or at least fired them before. STG-44 sounds cool

I went there a month ago. Got the "Special Ops Package" so I shot 20 rounds each from an mp5, Uzi, M4 and AK. The range officer loaded and charged the gun before handing it to me.

You could buy into a package like I did, or rent guns al a carte. I would do the latter if I were to do it again.

It wasn't a bad time, but in the end I spent the equivalent of two cases of ammo for 10 minutes of shooting. I'd rather have the ammo. That's just me.

They will drive you back to your hotel in a humvee. That was the coolest part.
    If you're not going to learn to use the front sight properly, don't bother with it. If pointing the gun, screaming "Ahhhhh!" and cranking on the trigger is all you can learn to do, work on doing that safely. -ToddG

Quote Originally Posted by 60167 View Post
    I went there a month ago. Got the "Special Ops Package" so I shot 20 rounds each from an mp5, Uzi, M4 and AK. The range officer loaded and charged the gun before handing it to me.

You could buy into a package like I did, or rent guns al a carte. I would do the latter if I were to do it again.

It wasn't a bad time, but in the end I spent the equivalent of two cases of ammo for 10 minutes of shooting. I'd rather have the ammo. That's just me.

They will drive you back to your hotel in a humvee. That was the coolest part.
    Yeah, I looked at the prices for those packages and they look RATHER expensive for 100rds total. Do you have the option of buying more ammo for the a la carte options?

I don't recall. I'm sure you could work something out.
    If you're not going to learn to use the front sight properly, don't bother with it. If pointing the gun, screaming "Ahhhhh!" and cranking on the trigger is all you can learn to do, work on doing that safely. -ToddG

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Honestly given the expense I'd probably just rent the MP5 and however much ammo is financially sensible. It's the pinnacle of full auto fun, IMO.
    Last edited by Nephrology; 05-04-2016 at 03:53 PM.

I've never shot a BAR or an STG-44, so I would shoot those. You sound like you haven't had the opportunity to shoot much stuff before? I'd go with whatever you are most curious to shoot.

Site Supporter
    Full auto is worth trying once, but outside of a belt-fed weapon in a military context, is just a quick way to dump a lot of ammo down range with suboptimal accuracy.

Try whatever you think would be the neatest and whatever you are least likely to get another chance to try. For me that would be the Glock 18, Thomson, and maybe 1-2 other submachine guns. Once you have tried it once, I would prefer that case of ammo for real practice as well.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

User Tag List