Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Optimum barrel length for the range

Optimum barrel length for the range

Here's a topic not often discussed so what would you consider the best length for 25~50 yard range gun? I suppose caliber should come into play.

I rarely get the chance to shoot a pistol that far anymore but when I did my HK USPc .45 did quite well with it's short barrel and slow bullets. But my choice of caliber would be 9mm or .38 super with a 4-5" barrel. FWIW.

Is it correct to assume you're using irons vs. red dot/scope? I would guess, if using irons, the longer barrel the better to take advantage of longer sight radius. While velocity is better (shoots flatter), I don't necessarily think the longer barrel equates to better accuracy. As an example, I've read repeatedly, and also my own experience suggests, a G26 with <4" barrel is as accurate, if not more so than a G19 or G17 with >=4" barrels.

Quote Originally Posted by rauchman View Post
    Is it correct to assume you're using irons vs. red dot/scope? I would guess, if using irons, the longer barrel the better to take advantage of longer sight radius. While velocity is better (shoots flatter), I don't necessarily think the longer barrel equates to better accuracy. As an example, I've read repeatedly, and also my own experience suggests, a G26 with <4" barrel is as accurate, if not more so than a G19 or G17 with >=4" barrels.
    Iron vs Dot, that adds a good twist!

I did mean to say pistol didn't I

Quote Originally Posted by Audioi View Post
    I did mean to say pistol didn't I
    Well, I mean, you did post this in the Semi-Auto Pistols forum...

Optimum barrel or realistically applicable barrel?

I'd want a 10+ inch barrel with a nice optic if I had to game the shit out of it - look at competition/olympic guns.

Reality is that we don't know what type of range we are going to find ourselves in and training with whatever firearm you have and whatever sighting system you have is more important than worrying about barrel length.

Carry a 17L if you are worried about pistol barrel length, throw an RMR on it and you'll have a serious pistol meant for 50y engagements.

You can do the same with a 26 and iron sights if you practice enough.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    Well, I mean, you did post this in the Semi-Auto Pistols forum...
    Success again!

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Honestly I think the fitment of the gun is more important than barrel length. I don't really like barrels longer than 5" on any of my guns. Too unwieldy and muzzle heavy. YMMV.

Doesn't matter, really with a pistol unless you insist on an asininely short barrel. For over 25 yards to 50 yards, you have to go with a red dot.
    #RESIST

User Tag List