Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of grabbing a G19.....

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    Fair enough. I may very well give that a shot then. I've gotten used to the serrated trigger again at this point, but I have to say that I much preferred the smooth trigger. Not exactly a night and day difference, but it was noticeable.
    I *really* like the dot connector/Gen 3 trigger bar combo in my Gen 4s. the only other modifications I do are light polishing with Q tips/mother's mag on the trigger bar + connector interface surfaces - the rest is all stock and untouched. In my guns, this gives me a very light takeup and then a "wall" with a short rolling trigger with minimal overtravel. Really pretty much perfect. For whatever reason I do much better with it in my g4G19 than my g4g17 but I am still experimenting with the backstraps on the latter pistol.
    Last edited by Nephrology; 05-04-2016 at 08:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    I *really* like the dot connector/Gen 3 trigger bar combo in my Gen 4s. the only other modifications I do are light polishing with Q tips/mother's mag on the trigger bar + connector interface surfaces - the rest is all stock and untouched. In my guns, this gives me a very light takeup and then a "wall" with a short rolling trigger with minimal overtravel. Really pretty much perfect. For whatever reason I do much better with it in my g4G19 than my g4g17 but I am still experimenting with the backstraps on the latter pistol.
    Can't say as I've ever done any trigger group polishing, but I might try that. We'll see.

As far as backstraps on Gen4 guns? I'll have a G17Gen2 in a few months and given how common Gen3 guns are I've decided to just run medium backstraps to keep things the same. I wear a medium to large sized glove and I seem to have shorter fingers than average and don't really have that much of a problem reaching the trigger. YMMV of course.

I greatly prefer the gen4 Glock 19 over the gen3 guns. I prefer the stock magazine release and the ability to use the interchange back straps and over time I actually prefer the triggers. I prefer the texturing on the frames of the gen4 guns over the gen 3 guns.

I also find the gen4 guns to be slightly more accurate than the gen3 guns.

I have larger hands with long fingers and the large back strap with the beaver tail makes this gun fit my hand perfectly. I played around with trigger combo's to include the OEM "-" and the included dot connector. I've settled on the plated connectors from Taran Tactical.

I've played around with slightly polishing a few of the trigger parts. I had one gun that I didn't polish anything, just applied a bit of oil here and there and dry fired the crap out of the gun. When I'm dry firing, I can tell a slight difference between the gun I polished and the gun I didn't (Both having a Taran Tactical connector installed). When I'm shooting both guns, I really can't tell a difference between the two guns.
    Last edited by Beat Trash; 05-04-2016 at 11:45 AM.

Site Supporter
    I am definitely in the minority here but for my medium sized hands, I find the 2nd and 3rd generation finger grooves fit my hand perfectly.

The 4th generation Glock triggers I have dry-fired were nicer than any previous generation gun I had seen with the exception of the "minus" connector with the standard trigger spring. (I use an 8 lb. NY1 trigger spring with a "minus" connector on my Glocks). I would not feel the need to modify the 4th generation triggers I have seen.

OP - you might have a look at the last couple of pages of this thread when you set to picking one out. FWIW https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ensator/page52
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

The Gen 3 G19's fingergrooves were actually (and very quietly) modified in late production-there is a subtle, but noticeable difference between my 2010 and 2006 G19s-the later production one had slightly sharper or more peaked groove humps. Shooting-wise, the difference is not discernible, at least to me, but I'm guessing that the later-production ones are very slightly more user-friendly to a greater variety of hand sizes.

Otherwise, between a Gen 3 and a Gen4 I think it's just a matter of personal preference. It seems that the earlier problems that plagued the Gen4 G19 (and the initial MIM-extractored Gen 3 G19s) have been pretty much resolved. I like the Gen4 grip texture and extended magazine release, but I never had any issues whatsoever with the Gen 3's texture and magazine release.

Reportedly Gen4 accuracy is up a tad from the Gen 3, but my two Gen 3s have been quite accurate in their own right. The Gen4 nested recoil spring assembly should reduce recoil a tad, and is longer-lasting, but it's also more expensive to replace when necessary-so once again, I think you're back simply to the personal preference thing.

The grip adjustability of the Gen4 via the 4 additional backstraps (giving 5 grip options) is nice. If you can, I'd play with both a Gen 3 and a Gen4 as part of your decision process=both shooting and playing with the gripstrap options. It's not like one vs the other will be a game-changer per se with the G19s frame, but you might find a Gen4/Gen4 options work better ergonomically for you as opposed to the Gen 3 once-size-fits-all approach (which actually is quite good for most, it seems).

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Hauptmann View Post
    I haven't owned a Glock since the early 2000s, but I'm kinda getting a bug for a G19 9mm. I guess my question is, should I go 3rd Gen, or 4th Gen? Advice?
    IMHO

Gen 4
    better grip more options
    ambi mags doesn't matter to me

Gen 3
    better trigger

IMHO overall Glock quality/consistency has declined and you will probably have to dick around with little things to get it the way you want. Not that you should have to, but easy and cheap to do. I still say they are UGLY as hell, but run for a long time, reliable and durable.

I started buying Gen 4 9mm Glocks as soon as they became available and eventually traded all my Gen 3 9mm Glocks. I prefer the Gen 4 models but own fewer than before.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hauptmann View Post
    I haven't owned a Glock since the early 2000s, but I'm kinda getting a bug for a G19 9mm. I guess my question is, should I go 3rd Gen, or 4th Gen? Advice?

How big are your hands? I had a 30S that would not allow me to easily reach the mag release, leading me to sell a pistol I otherwise really liked. The G19's previous to the Gen 4 presented the same problem. Then I picked up a Gen4 - pass the Kool Aid, please.

I much prefer the gen 4 to the gen 3.

User Tag List