Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: What's your nonlethal choice?

Quote Originally Posted by misanthropist View Post
    In my fairly limited experience, a well-executed hip throw is brutal, and people close enough to throw are too close to hit you with any real power. My preference as a tall guy has always been to stay out of range but it's about as good to be inside range. As one of my instructors likes to say, "hate him like you love him". Of course, I can hardly understand a word he says, but I believe he means fight from extremely close range.
    As the demonstratee of the technique during HS wrestling, I can attest to the effectiveness.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Cecil Burch View Post
    I have taken away the exact opposite the more I train.

Body punches and kicks are also the hardest strikes to set up, take much longer to effectively learn to execute against a resisting opponent, give much less consistent results, and leave you far more vulnerable when throwing them. And, most importantly, are the hardest to maintain the older and/or broken down we become.
    Cecil, recognizing that some striking is taught as a portion of your curriculum*, are there any strikes that you (generally) recommend for more consistent results against a resisting opponent?

*Without compromising/revealing the curriculum that you've taken considerable effort to develop. If you wish to decline to answer, to protect your curricula, no worries.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    In all honesty, I don't have one. Barely have the time/energy to stay proficient with a sidearm as a hobby - don't want to tote an extra device that I don't know how to use.

Site Supporter
    Armored motorcycle gloves, jacket and helmet are usually on me (almost always in transitional spaces) since I decided to go moto only. I have thought about adding pepper spray to the mix.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Cecil, recognizing that some striking is taught as a portion of your curriculum*, are there any strikes that you (generally) recommend for more consistent results against a resisting opponent?

*Without compromising/revealing the curriculum that you've taken considerable effort to develop. If you wish to decline to answer, to protect your curricula, no worries.

Dude, I put so much out there discussing this stuff online or with videos and podcasts that I sometimes feel my entire course content is freely available! Nobody ever said I was a particularly clever businessman

The three strikes I think are most useful because of replicability and less time needed to train them are:

1) cross - my go to in anything where striking is warranted. It's the best bang for your buck strike. It is one of the easiest strikes to learn, it is fairly easy to understand how to generate power, it is the longest punch so it helps to keep distance if you do not want to crash in, and it leaves you less open while throwing it.

2) rear uppercut - it does not take long to generate massive power and it takes advantage of where most people (even experienced fighters) are almost always open. It is also a simple technique to learn. The lead uppercut is just as easy to learn and generates almost as much power, but it leaves you more open to counters because your closest limb to the opponent is doing something other than protecting you. With the rear uppercut, you can cover with the lead arm so it is a tad safer.

3) eye jab (the quick snatch-y style that Craig Douglas advocates) - this is NOT a power shot in any way, but it is very simple to learn and to get good at. It should only be used as a quick distracting technique to buy you a second to do something else (i.e. run away, go to weapons, or punch with a harder strike).

Add in Default Cover, and a tight uppercutting elbow and you have strikes that will take care of about 99.5% of your needs in most true self-defense situations.
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

User Tag List