Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: What's your nonlethal choice?

Red saber pepper spray ..at home Dog Muzzle Attack
    http://vid925.photobucket.com/albums...Movie_0001.mp4
    Last edited by Robert Mitchum; 05-05-2016 at 02:47 PM.

What's your nonlethal choice?

Name:  fist of fury.jpg
Views: 575
Size:  12.8 KB

I'm a firm believer that at least 98% of the problems people encounter are going to require a non-lethal response, not gunfire. You can't shoot belligerent drunks, assholes, or democrats just for being themselves. I can OC an asshole and say I'm sorry if I have to. Hard to ventilate someone with your blaster for mouthing your wife, and get away with it. You simply cannot go from saying "STOP!" to lighting someone up when they are unarmed (assuming no disparity of force), or where all your t's aren't crossed and your i's dotted. The world we live in doesn't work that way. I couldn't imagine being a police officer today and facing this stuff day in and day out.

I've never had to shoot anyone in over 20 years of carrying a gun, but I have OC'd several people, and several hundred dogs (occupational hazard). I've also applied a sap and a Maglight a few times. I've had to do a whole lot of talking myself and others out of bad situations, and this is a great skill to have, for times when you can reason with people.

I really try to have OC on me all the time, as well as a light. I never leave home without a folding knife as well. Options are a good thing.

You guys that don't have a non-lethal option or sufficient empty hand skills need to think realistically and take care of this serious deficiency. The old hammer and nail syndrome. You can't solve your most common problems with a gun. If you try, you'll find yourself in a world of shit.

Having the ability, and the options/tools to move up and down the force ladder as needed, is an absolute requirement in my opinion.
    Last edited by Clay; 05-05-2016 at 10:13 PM.

Now that the Taser Pulse has been out for a bit, does anyone have any experience with them? I will be picking one up come spring for molding holsters but am curious about making it a less-lethal option for myself while I'm at it. Particularly for days I'm stuck indoors around people where spraying a room with OC might leave me with more problems than I'd started with. And I could tuck it away AIWB or in a pocket more readily than I've ever been able to deal with OC to make it more attractive at first thought than a can of foam.

To avoid hijacking an old thread, I've always leaned toward pocket sticks and more recently OC. My ASP Key Defender is handy as a reasonably serviceable example of both and on me most always. I've got a Piexon JPX for woods bumming to get more standoff from bears and aggressive dogs that rides in the CCW slot of my bike bag when not being carried. Days I feel like I should have a more meaningful OC than my key defender, I'll slip a horizontal kydex pouch on my belt for a stream can of Fox 5.3 and deal with it being less convenient than my usual little ASP for the day.

Working nights and commuting any number of ways except by car, I've got a kubotan-size flashlight clipped on me during the week. If it's a necessary item and one regularly in my hand, it may as well be something I can bonk someone with in a pinch. Also have a S&W pen when on the clock for paperwork but that's more because I wreck disposable pens and just wanted it than anything.

German Shepherd.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by Clay View Post
    I'm a firm believer that at least 98% of the problems people encounter are going to require a non-lethal response, not gunfire. You can't shoot belligerent drunks, assholes, or democrats just for being themselves. I can OC an asshole and say I'm sorry if I have to. Hard to ventilate someone with your blaster for mouthing your wife, and get away with it. You simply cannot go from saying "STOP!" to lighting someone up when they are unarmed (assuming no disparity of force), or where all your t's aren't crossed and your i's dotted. The world we live in doesn't work that way. I couldn't imagine being a police officer today and facing this stuff day in and day out.

I've never had to shoot anyone in over 20 years of carrying a gun, but I have OC'd several people, and several hundred dogs (occupational hazard). I've also applied a sap and a Maglight a few times. I've had to do a whole lot of talking myself and others out of bad situations, and this is a great skill to have, for times when you can reason with people.

I really try to have OC on me all the time, as well as a light. I never leave home without a folding knife as well. Options are a good thing.

You guys that don't have a non-lethal option or sufficient empty hand skills need to think realistically and take care of this serious deficiency. The old hammer and nail syndrome. You can't solve your most common problems with a gun. If you try, you'll find yourself in a world of shit.

Having the ability, and the options/tools to move up and down the force ladder as needed, is an absolute requirement in my opinion.

That is good. Very good. OC should be carried if you are carrying a gun. Claude Werner has written about the need to have non lethal options available. Myself I may not always have a gun but I always have pepper spray, flashlight, and a knife. (And less that is taken wrong I have NO interest in using the knife). My opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_L View Post
    That is good. Very good. OC should be carried if you are carrying a gun. Claude Werner has written about the need to have non lethal options available. Myself I may not always have a gun but I always have pepper spray, flashlight, and a knife. (And less that is taken wrong I have NO interest in using the knife). My opinion.
    I agree fully.

My 11 year old Son and I recently completed the SABRE Civilian program and it was great. Very economical too. I don’t leave the house without OC, and I don’t recommend that any gun carrier does.

I’m a large mammal. If I’m in a non-lethal confrontation where I could OC someone or beat the pee out of them with my bare hands/shod feet, I’d much rather OC them. Like Clay said, worse case scenario some Johnson & Johnson baby shampoo or sour cream to decontaminate, and it’s over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    I have pretty persistent nerve issues in my right forearm/elbow from shooting and typing and at present I don't think I'll be quitting either task any time soon.

I have actually found a Foster Impact Devices midget works well to break down knots in my arm so that's what I use it for all the time but as a result I always have it with me.

My wife carries a Foster Cable Jack. The braided leather is kind of a sentimental thing for her, but her keys are on it so she's always got it handy.

Either one would suck to get hit with, even if that's not their current primary goal.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Site Supporter
    Needle nose pliers.

Muay Thai teep or cut kicks.
    A well aimed and well delivered teep to the solar plexus or liver is a heck of a fight stopper.
    Not only effective but they're completely unexpected and don't carry the same risks (to your hands or their head) that come along with punching someone in the head.
    With a 37" inseam it's my go to "jab" in MMA or Muay Thai sparring.
    My teep has about 6" more reach than my jab and I usually have 2"+ of reach on most people so I can throw it from relative safety.

Cut kicks are also really effective against someone who isn't conditioned to deal with them.
    A full power cut kick from a well conditioned shin against the soft inner or outer thigh of your average person is brutal.
    I still remember the first time I took a solid cut kick without shin pads, even with several months of conditioning behind me it almost took me down.

A 7" Foster #31 to the back of the hands, elbows, ribs, collar bones, etc. is also very effective yet still "less lethal".

I've seen too many people walk right through OC to make it worth carrying.
    Maybe when I get older and stop training as much.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

User Tag List