Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What's your nonlethal choice?

Site Supporter

What's your nonlethal choice?

A lot of people have been talking about the value of having a nonlethal adjunct to deadly force...seeing as not every situation requires a bullet, I've been considering adding one. My sisters carry pepper spray and my brother in law uses one of those collapsible batons because he's trained in Escrima for essentially his whole life...so what's your preference?

Is any one choice considered more effective...and would an impact weapon be considered "deadly force"

I'd sooner stay away from electrical weapons, mainly because carrying a Taser is illegal here...as are blackjacks.

A further question...how do you carry one. Are there a lot of holsters available for batons or OC spray?

All of the good less-lethal choices are illegal here in the land of Rahm. To include pepper spray, collapsible batons, blackjacks, saps, knuckles...But if one were inclined to carry a less-lethal option...

Sabre Defense is a solid choice - Stream is my preference - https://www.copsplus.com/prodnum8464.php - This one has a pocket clip and I slip it in my jeans or jacket pocket when walking home. At the office I just stick it in my bag.

A Boston Leather Midget Sap can be a lethal option if used incorrectly, but if used correctly, it is vicious - https://www.copsplus.com/prodnum3906.php

A pair of hard knuckle gloves might pass scrutiny here in winter - https://www.copsplus.com/prodnum10643.php

Then there are a host of other options out there...single-finger, multiple-finger knuckles, kubatons (pointed, not pointed, to include the "tactical" pens of the world), flashlights (either as impact tools or as threat deterrents). When considering these items - I think you have to assess your own needs.

I like flashlight - OC - impact tool - gun/blade as my continuum. A flashlight for threat ID, OC, and then work your way up the continuum. Of course like all things - none of it matters - in the absence of training. And keeping in mind that these tools, especially impact weapons, are meant to be deployed up close.

Site Supporter

What's your nonlethal choice?

I have always liked flashlights as improvised impact weapons, although I prefer to avoid the prominent crenellations that so many lights have.

A defensive pen is often carried, since I always carry a pen anyway. My current favorite is the Inpax Response Pen.

Pepper spray is a solid choice as long as it has an active ingredient with at least 2 million Scoville heat units, with at least a 10% concentration. I have used an ASP Key Defender for years, since it doubles as a Kubotan, but I have bought a lot of Sabre products for family members.

With 1 child in school and another starting this fall, my nonlethal choices are often selected so that I can bring them into a school without running afoul of the law, and the light and pen fill this role nicely.

With or without tools, the most important assets are good unarmed training and good physical fitness.
    Last edited by BillSWPA; 05-03-2016 at 10:08 PM.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Personally, I like simple force multipliers like these little gizmos.

The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

One of these days I'm going to make myself a nice, ebony & black palm walking stick, trimmed in brass.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    I have always liked flashlights as improvised impact weapons, although I prefer to avoid the prominent crenellations that so many lights have.

A defensive pen is often carried, since I always carry a pen anyway. My current favorite is the Inpax Response Pen.

Pepper spray is a solid choice as long as it has an active ingredient with at least 2 million Scoville heat units, with at least a 10% concentration. I have used an ASP Key Defender for years, since it doubles as a Kubotan, but I have bought a lot of Sabre products for family members.

With 1 child in school and another starting this fall, my nonlethal choices are often selected so that I can bring them into a school without running afoul of the law, and the light and pen fill this role nicely.

With or without tools, the most important assets are good unarmed training and good physical fitness.
    Pretty much my thinking as well...I've also heard some interesting arguments made for the practice of "fist loading" ala a flaslight, a can of pepper spray, or a roll of quarters...mostly that it doesn't so much rely on the weight of a stack of coins, but that it has more to do with the idea that you hit harder with a fist that is clenching something than a fist that is folded over on itself...

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I don't. The incidents that less lethal can be a realistic option for me off duty where simply leaving is not a better option have been non-existent. On duty, I like a baton or a Taser. Off duty it's talking, walking, punching, or shooting. I guess my flashlight sorta counts, I could whack someone with it and it's got a bezel that would make a decent boo-boo.

I wouldn't *mind* carrying a sap, but holy crap I've got so much stuff I carry already and the game just doesn't seem to be worth the candle.

Bare hands and a good strangle, better yet using an article of BG's clothing like a collar or even a rolled up t-shirt.

So many options...lights out in 7, 6, 5, ....

ASP Key Defender, although the option of using OC is almost always limited by the sea breeze. I've been thinking about a sap, just haven't ordered one.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

I have a duplicate of my PD issued duty spray in my car.

Not because I want to use it, but because its better than just going gun.

When taser comes out with their pulse I'll buy one of them.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

User Tag List