Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice for those accepted into the academy - repost

Advice for those accepted into the academy - repost

I posted this on reddit and JD Buck Savage reposted a link on FB.

lets see...

do not talk back, answer only when asked.

"sir" "ma'am" for everything - "yes sir" "thank you ma'am" if you speaking to anyone who isn't another recruit.

learn to love running, a lot, buy good running shoes.

arbitrary and random PT is not a form of punishment, though it may seem that way, it is a way the instructors/teachers make you able to pass the tests without issues.

the material is not hard, the books are not difficult, they all just require a lot of time and effort to make sure you pass every test.

speaking of time and studying, while in the academy consider yourself a hobbit, no friends, no life, nothing other than the academy.

Do not go out on friday nights, do not go out on dates, do not go out at all. The chance of something happening that could get you kicked out (be it a traffic citation or even a stop in some cases to being at a place where a fight occurs and you have to be a witness - good luck explaining how it wasn't your fault to your supervisor).

Staying in will allow you time to study, train and focus on the things that really matter in life, like this career, saving money and staying of trouble.
    If you are single, the academy is not a time to find your spouse. Stay away from other cadets/recruits of the opposite gender (or same gender? we don't judge) in this context, you will have plenty of time to figure out that dating other officers is not the right move.

If you are dating, this is the time you sit down with your boy/girl friend and tell them you are not going to be going out because this is a very important period in your life that requires your undivided attention and that literally anything can get you kicked out of the academy. They should be understanding and keep you stress free, they need to come over to your place and have stay-in dates. This is very important, stress will manifest into mistakes at the academy and the instructors do not care about your personal life.

If you are married tell your wife/husband and kids that this is very important and that you need them to give you the room and time you need to study, train and rest.

Every single day is / should be very tiring and you will want to go to sleep early.

Always be early for roll call, if its a 7am start time, be there at 630am. This makes you get up earlier, go to sleep earlier, make sure you have enough to shower and shave, eat in the morning and get a good parking spot. Have a check list of stuff you need to bring with you everyday and do not forget anything because it may mean you get the unwanted attention of the instructors.

Never be at the back of the pack and unless you want to be in the spot light, do not be in the front. If you excel at something like running or understanding law/policy, awesome, keep your mouth shut and only offer help if someone asks for it or the instructor tells you to help. You do not want unwanted attention from anyone, it is best to be in the middle of the pack and keep to yourself.

You will make friends and enemies, this is a fact of life and the human existence. Accept it and move on. Do not show all your cards and understand that any one of you can be kicked out any at any moment.

Learn to love sleep. This is the only time in your career you will ever have day shift and weekends off unless you eventually make a high enough rank or get a special unit position. Enjoy it. Sleep in on the weekends, do not shave on the weekends, relax and unwind, you will need it.

Stay away from alcohol.

Stay away from questionable activities (protests, fundraisers/political stuff).

Stay out of bad areas.

Some of the classes are boring and some of the instructors will be very dry and lacking knowledge of the subject matter. Accept it and move on, do not say a word just do your own thing and once you are done the academy and on your FTO you can go back and say they sucked, but not before.
    Learn to love coffee.

Follow the rules / policy. If the rules say you have to have a certain item on you at all times, that means you better not be caught without it. If the rules / policy say you have to do a certain thing you better do it.

Do not sleep in class, stay awake.

Do not expect special attention or special anything. You are literally just a number to the instructors and they will treat you like one if you give them a reason to.

Did I mention running? Start doing that now.

Learn how to stretch properly - injuries are a deal breaker and will make you get kicked out or held for another class, both are bad things.
    If an injury happens that you cannot walk off (broken bones, twisted ankle, head trauma, etc) report it to your supervisor, they will explain the process to you.

Accept that you are not perfect, you will make mistakes and so on, use this time as a learning opportunity.

Time in the academy is like being at the gym, for months on end. This is the time you quit smoking. This is the time you start eating right, and stopping the junkfood. No chocolate, no sugar, protein packed food preferable.

Learn to love black coffee, no additions in it - yes I said this twice it is important.
    Not an all inclusive list, but covers most of the important stuff.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    I posted this on reddit and JD Buck Savage reposted a link on FB.

Not an all inclusive list, but covers most of the important stuff.
    Understand that they can't kill and eat you. It's just mind games.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    Understand that they can't kill and eat you. It's just mind games.
    So says you...

VDMSR.com
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Good list. You mean all those recruits who disappeared didn't get eaten? Dammit.

And for God's sake don't forget your Sgt's pen!
    Last edited by Coyotesfan97; 05-03-2016 at 07:58 PM.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Timely. I left my old place and moved to a different dept after 4 years on patrol and other side assignments. I will go through a 6 month academy.

I'm still going to keep my mouth shut and ears open. I think this will be the same as reading a book the second time through- you get so much more out of it once you know what to pay attention to.

I don't want to be the guy who talks constantly about whatever he did in a past career or military deployment. Nobody cares.
    Last edited by 60167; 05-04-2016 at 02:39 PM.
    If you're not going to learn to use the front sight properly, don't bother with it. If pointing the gun, screaming "Ahhhhh!" and cranking on the trigger is all you can learn to do, work on doing that safely. -ToddG

Site Supporter
    To add a couple to Voodoo's list:

For those that are attending a POST style academy and are not yet hired, remember that you are attempting to join a club to which your instructors already belong. Many departments that are considering a new hire will ask academy instructors about a recruits performance, attitude, integrity etc....

PT instructors, contrary to some foolish recruit's opinions, know how to count. If you only get 16 reps when 20 are required, say so and finish up! Anything else is seen as an integrity/work ethic issue.

The instructors are there to be your instructors not your friends. They can always be approached when you have questions or a problem but trying to swap stories with them as a peer is not appropriate in the academy. They may be your co-workers later and then peer to peer interaction would be appropriate.

Unless otherwise instructed (exams, individual performance evaluations etc), help your classmates! Be the embodiment of "team player".

Once you are on the job, be a good example rather than a cautionary tale for those in the academy. The blue lifecycle depends on it.

I'll add two. I've taught at one of our local academies for ten years.

1) If you're sponsored (have a job and are getting paid to be there), treat it like a job. You're still a probationary employment and they can end that probation whenever they feel like it.

2) Socialize with classmates with great caution. There are some who get it, some who will never get it, and some that shouldn't be there. Guilt by association can ruin a career before it starts. Whatever you do, do not treat your classmates as a dating pool. There have been two that I've seen in ten years that ended well. There have been dozens that have made it a lot harder for the people involved.

Site Supporter
    WOW! That's a really great list, but I can't believe it came from a trouble maker like you

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pink View Post
    WOW! That's a really great list, but I can't believe it came from a trouble maker like you
    who'da thunk it
    VDMSR.com

Wow. And here I am thinking about doing it all over again after a 5 year break.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

User Tag List