Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone heard of/have experience with these guys?

Anyone heard of/have experience with these guys?

http://tacticalfirearmstrainingaustin.com

Apparently they are coming here to do a class; couple of locals asked me about them. Never heard of 'em.

Yes. They are a quality group and run a safe hot range. Have taken two classes with them; Active Shooter with range drills as well as shooting out of a vehicle with partner passenger; Second half of Active Shooter day was Simuntion FoF training key tactical issues they taught.

I've also done their tactical trauma med class for citizen/LEO first responders. HABC's, AVPU's, tourniquets, etc. Class had a practical at the end with dishsoap blood and a trauma scene to deal with using their supplied equipment.

For those interested in car and pocket carry trauma kits, they (and I) use/carry these: https://darkangelmedical.com/product/dark-3-upgrades/ and https://darkangelmedical.com/product...-d-a-r-k-mini/

They are focused, run a tight time line, and are very helpful with questions, seeing/fixing problems, etc. Very hands on.

I recommend them.
    Last edited by StrikerFire; 05-03-2016 at 04:12 PM. Reason: added detail

Site Supporter
    I'm an hour away and I've never heard of them. KR training and Sheep Dog Solutions ( Dr. No here on PF) would be my go to's for Austin area training.

I'm not seeing anything which screams stay away on their website.

I took a class from them, wrote an AAR: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....-13-Houston-TX

They're nice guys, and have some good ideas/mindsets; I met Vernon through a ShivWorks ECQC, and ran into him again at a ShivWorks EWO, along with another one of his former AIs (doesn't not appear to be with CWS anymore), and they also have done stuff with Dark Angel Medical, who are good dudes. I originally took the class with them because they offered me a good price on them and the shared ShivWorks alum status. However, they're also skewed toward the whole CFS school, so I'd be wary of the bullshit that comes with that. Also, they teach from the ALERRT curriculum for some of their tactics, which I understand to be less-than-optimal, though still workable.

Overall, I would not recommend them if given a choice between them and a more reputable training group; however, they do have a lot of good points, just that with the misinformation mixed in, it can be hard for the neophyte to figure out what to keep and what to discard. Someone who can go in with an open mind and be flexible in what they retain can certainly learn a fair bit from them.

PM me if you would like the unsanitized AAR.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    I'm an hour away and I've never heard of them. KR training and Sheep Dog Solutions ( Dr. No here on PF) would be my go to's for Austin area training.

Another vote for KR.
    http://www.krtraining.com

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    I took a class from them, wrote an AAR: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....-13-Houston-TX

They're nice guys, and have some good ideas/mindsets; I met Vernon through a ShivWorks ECQC, and ran into him again at a ShivWorks EWO, along with another one of his former AIs (doesn't not appear to be with CWS anymore), and they also have done stuff with Dark Angel Medical, who are good dudes. I originally took the class with them because they offered me a good price on them and the shared ShivWorks alum status. However, they're also skewed toward the whole CFS school, so I'd be wary of the bullshit that comes with that. Also, they teach from the ALERRT curriculum for some of their tactics, which I understand to be less-than-optimal, though still workable.

Overall, I would not recommend them if given a choice between them and a more reputable training group; however, they do have a lot of good points, just that with the misinformation mixed in, it can be hard for the neophyte to figure out what to keep and what to discard. Someone who can go in with an open mind and be flexible in what they retain can certainly learn a fair bit from them.

CFS ?

CFS ?
    Chicken friend steak. With some sawmill gravy. Yes, I'm hungry.

Combat Focus Shooting in this context, the program that Rob Pincus came up with. The CWS guys weren't dogmatic about it, and didn't teach only from that, but they did take some pages out of that book.
    Last edited by Default.mp3; 05-03-2016 at 05:14 PM.

Hmmm... I did.

Okay, thanks for the responses.

Thanks, but you already stated what I needed to know. Many thanks.

"Israeli Professional Tactical Training – Counter Terror Warfare (IDF Handcuffing, IDF Basic & Advanced Carbine, & High Risk Security"

I'm good, don't need to PM you
    #RESIST

User Tag List