Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Critical Duty as first round (chamber) due to crimp preventing bullet setback?

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterguy View Post
    I'm going to do a test this weekend on a few different carry Amos to see if bullet setback is real or a myth. One is critical duty so I will report back.
    It's absolutely real. It may or may not manifest even after repeated chamberings depending on your choice of firearm and ammunition, but if you want to do a test you should find out exactly how much setback it'll take to make your gun blow up.
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

Lol. I do believe it's real. I just want to find out how many times a round can be chambered before it occurs and to what extent.

For example I've heard some people say never to reuse a round after it's been chambered. Others say they don't worry about it at all. I just want to get some data to help determine when I should set aside ammo that has been chambered and unloaded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

I just want to get some data to help determine when I should set aside ammo that has been chambered and unloaded.
    Respectfully, you won't gather enough data to draw any sort of valid conclusion. Have fun, but don't report the results, as it will just be noise.

Honestly, what JAD said. You'd have to rechamber so many different rounds so many different times to get a large enough sample size that it wouldn't be worth your time. If you're that worried about it, check the round that you're rechambering against another round that has never been chambered after you unchamber it every time. It's just one of those things that you have to be mindful and diligent about.

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    Respectfully, you won't gather enough data to draw any sort of valid conclusion. Have fun, but don't report the results, as it will just be noise.
    Maybe not. But right now I have no idea to what extent the hst I daily carry experiences set back. Is it after 1 time? 3 times? 10 times? I don't know the answer. I would like to have an idea at least. I understand it's not scientific and there's a lot of variables. I don't want or expect people to take my findings as truth. It will be fun for me. I'll just keep the findings to myself because I know how forums work and it'll be dismissed regardless of my results.
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

I don't think there's good data to support or disprove the idea that one chambering creates a risk of setback. Therefore, I throw any chambered round in the practice bag.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    I don't think there's good data to support or disprove the idea that one chambering creates a risk of setback. Therefore, I throw any chambered round in the practice bag.
    I don't know if you can call it "data" but I've seen it happen.
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

Quote Originally Posted by ReverendMeat View Post
    I don't know if you can call it "data" but I've seen it happen.
    The way the burden of proof works, I'd call that sufficient data.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Site Supporter
    Moderator, please delete.
    Last edited by deputyG23; 05-04-2016 at 03:07 PM.

Site Supporter
    Maybe not. But right now I have no idea to what extent the hst I daily carry experiences set back. Is it after 1 time? 3 times? 10 times? I don't know the answer. I would like to have an idea at least. I understand it's not scientific and there's a lot of variables. I don't want or expect people to take my findings as truth. It will be fun for me. I'll just keep the findings to myself because I know how forums work and it'll be dismissed regardless of my results.
    This has been tested before. In general, AR / semi auto rifle rounds only get chambered once and them go into the training pile. depending on who you ask handgun rounds are generally good for 3 to 5 chamberings. if you don't rotate carry ammo often, you can put a "ticky" mark on the rim or base of the cartridge with a marker to keep track of how many times the round has been chambered.

User Tag List