Thread: Sponge worthier in Dallas

Site Supporter

Sponge worthier in Dallas

http://www.policeone.com/police-prod...XKTWSfd2lLdh8V

Another view of being sponge worthier: Elaine - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfQBKB4s1ks

I wonder how this gadget is different from other less than lethal projectiles?

Probably these or similar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wO1fSC72cCI
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

40mm foam rounds are no b.s. I hope that is what they are getting. Prediction.....as soon as these start getting used, there will be a bunch of new brutality complaints that it is too much, just like everything else.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    [url]I wonder how this gadget is different from other less than lethal projectiles?
    The sponge rounds hit with about 120 ft/lb of energy or about the same as a baseball thrown at 100mph, they're not magic but they thump hard enough to knock the attitude out of most people. They don't have the penetration problems that come up with 12 gauge bean bags. They have a shorter minimum and longer maximum effective range. Ammunition mix ups are still possible but a bit harder to do.

There's a thread going in mindset and tactics on bravado at gunpoint. There's going to be a learning curve for the bad guys as they figure out that "safety zone" that they feel that they have where they can pull crap, won't get shot and they're far enough out to not get spray or tazed just got a lot shorter.

I find it funny in a sad way that a public safety booster group is raising money for these to buy for the Department. This is something the city should be buying. I googled Dallas and they have 3,640 sworn Officers. They're getting 100 launchers. One I hope the city steps up and buys more and Two I hope these don't go into supervisor car trunks.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    I find it funny in a sad way that a public safety booster group is raising money for these to buy for the Department. This is something the city should be buying. I googled Dallas and they have 3,640 sworn Officers. They're getting 100 launchers. One I hope the city steps up and buys more and Two I hope these don't go into supervisor car trunks.
    People in Hell want ice water, man. I grew up in Dallas and there are two things to bear in mind. First, the pro-cop people don't live in Dallas - So even if they are pro-cop there isn't the voting constituency to support them. Second, Dallas PD has a long, tried, and tribulated history. The current Chief's son was killed while on PCP after murdering his girlfriend. Almost the entire city council is made up of Democrats. Disturbingly enough, some of whom make Jesse Jackson look like a saint.

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    40mm foam rounds are no b.s. I hope that is what they are getting. Prediction.....as soon as these start getting used, there will be a bunch of new brutality complaints that it is too much, just like everything else.
    I hope so too. I wish they'd get some for Chicago PD and some damn tasers too. Seriously - Chicago PD has so few officers armed with tasers it is ridiculous. Given the climate around here, a host of less-lethal options and good training should be the focus.

Unfortunately, it'll be five minutes after that, when an officer shoots an armed kid with a sponge round and takes him down. "Why didn't the office just shoot the gun out of his hand?! Police brutality!"

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    Dallas is one of those departments that pretty much has every budgeted dollar going into manpower and basic operational cost, during the recession pay was the only thing that could be cut to make budget. When they do buy stuff it's general because they generally have to pay for it at twice. First time is settling a lawsuit that they might have avoided with the equipment and then buying the equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    People in Hell want ice water, man. I grew up in Dallas and there are two things to bear in mind. First, the pro-cop people don't live in Dallas - So even if they are pro-cop there isn't the voting constituency to support them. Second, Dallas PD has a long, tried, and tribulated history. The current Chief's son was killed while on PCP after murdering his girlfriend. Almost the entire city council is made up of Democrats. Disturbingly enough, some of whom make Jesse Jackson look like a saint.
    Well I think you just made my point. I thinks it's great people are stepping up to buy equipment for them but the same people who I'm sure yell the police are trigger happy and have the power aren't stepping up and getting them the needed equipment.

Pablo it's said how often that happens not just in Dallas.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

At least the new influx of "police brutality" videos will be entertaining.

User Tag List