Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The skinny (or not so skinny) on belts...

The skinny (or not so skinny) on belts...

Feel free to direct me to other threads on this topic if you think they'll help...

So in 2003 when I got into shooting, everyone around me was big fans of The Wilderness Instructor belts. Since then, I have worn one or another of their offerings, and have settled on the Frequent Flyer, 1.5", 5 stitch model. I'm a bigger guy...wear 42 or 44 size pants depending on brand, and my current belt is a 47 (probably a little longer than necessary, but works well for me). Just the other day, I purchased a Double Alpha Pro competition belt to be used for shooting matches...and it's very nice. I noticed that for the load I had in it to test (Glock 34 and 3 loaded mags), I did not have to have it cinched down super tight to hold that amount of gear. This feels somewhat opposite of what I experience with my daily carry (Glock 19 in Comp-Tac CTAC), or even for past matches with my usual belt, where I really have to cinch it down to keep things in place. It made me wonder if a stiffer, slightly thicker belt for every day wear and carry might not suit me better. Anyone else have a similar experience, or recommendations on other belts to consider? I like the nylon/velcro options as it doesn't limit me to holes that already exist and may not be in the absolute perfect spot for me... Appreciate any advice (and just to cover the bases, losing weight is in process, but complicated a bit more by being a 30+ year veteran of type 1 diabetes ).
    Jeff Martin
    Instagram

Site Supporter
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ighlight=belts
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ighlight=belts

I've used Galco belts but I've added Perry suspenders. http://www.perrysuspenders.com/ . They avoid the sausage muffin squeeze technique for my beefalo physique (a term from Dave Spaulding).

They even have shoulder holster models - not that I do that.

In the recent issue of SWAT, in a class description - the author described how when on the run, his pants hit the dirt but he carried through.

Tension, stiffness, and flexibility all balance out based on supported weight, waist size and shape, and carry position.

The stiffer the belt the less tension you'll need, generally. This does work against some holsters though and can make a good holster not conceal.

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using an owl
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    Tension, stiffness, and flexibility all balance out based on supported weight, waist size and shape, and carry position.

The stiffer the belt the less tension you'll need, generally. This does work against some holsters though and can make a good holster not conceal.

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using an owl
    Good stuff. Very personal combination for comfort and effectiveness.

Thanks for the links. And yeah, I've always been afraid of going with something stiffer for fear that if I had to wear it as tight I'd be strangling my guts with it, but now having tried super-stiff, I wonder if it might not help some. To add more info for anyone else who feels like chiming in, I carry at 3-4 o'clock, almost always IWB these days (OWB only when I'm doing yard work, or in colder months when I know I won't be removing a jacket). I carry my G34 at times in a Raven Phantom, and have a Raven Eidolon that I can carry either the G19 or G34 in, and also the CTAC for the 19. I do notice a little more or less need to really snug the belt down depending on where I position the holster...closer to 5 o'clock and I seem to have more issues (added to the fact it doesn't conceal well on my frame there).
    Jeff Martin
    Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by martin_j001 View Post
    I do notice a little more or less need to really snug the belt down depending on where I position the holster...closer to 5 o'clock and I seem to have more issues (added to the fact it doesn't conceal well on my frame there).
    I am built to carry a gun. Anyway you look at it, my body helps me carry. I don't mention this to boast, but to acknowledge that I have it easy compared to many others. Nonetheless, AIWB requires much less tension for me, and results in much more long term comfort than standard IWB positions. I'm not trying to convert you, just that your last sentence resonated.

Martin - Type II here, and ALWAYS struggling (recently with little success) to manage my weight. I ditched the FF belts a while back due to goofy looks. I've used any number of belts in the interim, but the best so far has been the Volund G-hook for me. Infinitely adjustable, stiff enough to hold everything where I want it without cutting off blood flow to my legs.

BUT, as has been pointed out above, this is a HUGELY personal issue, and has a lot to do with how you dress and carry as well. For instance, my summer weight "casual" work pants are ripstop nylon, and "slick." When worn over a tucked in Underarmour t-shirt, there's not a belt in the universe that will keep them from wanting to slide off my non-existent butt. Jeans are no problem, but poly on poly becomes an issue...

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    I'm not trying to convert you, just that your last sentence resonated.
    I have attempted to set up my Eidolon for IWB, as it was designed for this, but to no avail. I wear my pants below my gut, which causes problems when sitting at the very least, and very much causes the muzzle to be pointed more "inboard" than I'd like. It's likely that another combination of holster, belt, etc would work for me, but due to my body shape and all I haven't spent much time or money looking for that option. I do not disagree that there are benefits to be had for sure, though.

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    Martin - Type II here, and ALWAYS struggling (recently with little success) to manage my weight. I ditched the FF belts a while back due to goofy looks. I've used any number of belts in the interim, but the best so far has been the Volund G-hook for me. Infinitely adjustable, stiff enough to hold everything where I want it without cutting off blood flow to my legs.

BUT, as has been pointed out above, this is a HUGELY personal issue, and has a lot to do with how you dress and carry as well. For instance, my summer weight "casual" work pants are ripstop nylon, and "slick." When worn over a tucked in Underarmour t-shirt, there's not a belt in the universe that will keep them from wanting to slide off my non-existent butt. Jeans are no problem, but poly on poly becomes an issue...
    I wear the same material for boxers too, and even with Duluth's Flex pants, the combo is a little slick. The Volund G-Hook is one that keeps coming up, so is definitely being added to the "research more" list.
    Jeff Martin
    Instagram

martin_j001 I wear a 36/38 pants and have the Volund G-Hook. The belt is excellent but I find the hook a little annoying to hook. This is because my belly gets in the way.
    I sit for 11-13 hours a day when I work and its a little annoying on the gut because it's pretty stiff. I do use it as a range belt and it's excellent for that role.
    I also use the Wilderness Frequent Flyer 1.5 " 5 stitch and find it to be the most comfortable for me as a daily wear belt. Note I can't carry at work so I don't have much info on that.
    Just my observations and opinions.
    Last edited by Steven T; 05-03-2016 at 11:21 AM.

To the OP: it sounds like you might like the Ares Gear Aegis Belt quite a lot.
    IDPA SSP classification: Sharpshooter
    F.A.S.T. classification: Intermediate

User Tag List