6 8.00%
  • Beretta 92 Centurion

8 10.67%
  • Walther PPS

1 1.33%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help me pick my training gun

Help me pick my training gun

Help me stop my analysis paralysis I can't seem to stop myself from hopping platforms. So in a effort to improve my shooting ability I am going to conduct a fun little experiment. I would like you the forum to pic my carry and training gun for the next year and hopefully beyond. Which ever gun has the most votes in say two weeks I will shoot exclusively for the next year. I plan on documenting my progress here to keep me accountable. Now please don't worry about support gear or cost I have most of it covered for all the guns on the list. I don't feel under gunned or uncomfortable with any of them. So I would say I subjectively shoot some better then others but I think a year of dedicated practice will make me better with the worst of the bunch than I am with the best right now. I just ordered a shot timer to track everything. I think I will run a FAST drill with each gun and the compare them all again at the end of the year. So please help me out let's have some fun and don't over think this that what I keep doing.

The list of candidates are:

HK P30 v1
    HK P30 v3
    HK P2000 v1
    HK P2000 v3
    Glock 19
    Glock 26
    Beretta 92 Centurion
    Walther PPS

If you need help in resisting temptation, you can always send me the Beretta.
    That would mean one less distraction!

Site Supporter
    I voted Glock 26 but it showed up in the results as a Glock 19. My reason is that it conceals about as well or better than anything else you picked while being easy to shoot well.

Having said that, I think we need a lot more information about your circumstances before picking your carry gun. I have been carrying a gun daily for about 20 years. While my choices of guns and holsters have narrowed, I still rotate among 2-3 guns from 1-2 platforms in any given week. Choices depend on where I am going, the temperature, the dress code, my planned activities, perceived threat level, the possible consequences for a failure to maintain concealment in that location (has not happened in many years but must still be considered), etc.

I'm 65 and have only been into firearms (Handguns) for 4 years. So I am still a newbie. As much as I am still wanting a DA/SA I had a Sig P239 in .40S&W and it took me about 8 months to realize I am so into Striker fire, that maybe i am just too old to learn SA/DA that well. Since I carry only for SD my main EDC is a Glock G17 (G19 & G26 sit home most of the time). I do carry a Ruger LCP as a BUG and I have a Ruger LCR that I need a lot more practice before i ever carry it ( I also have a Ruger SR40C and shoot that as well as my Glocks. If you can handle the HK variant triggers I'd say go with that. My vote G19, then G26 and the PPS ( I have accepted my limitations )
    “There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein, Starship Troopers

What's your goal? It sounds like to want to learn something new. Nothing wrong with that, but it goes against the goal of becoming a better shooter.

Do,you really want to carry a beretta or one of the larger hk's? If you mean to carry it concealed the g19 is your best choice of the pistols you listed.

You looking for a threat management trigger or target management trigger? Once you answer that, it is easy to decide.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Vending Machine Operator
    I'm always gonna vote Beretta.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Glock 19 or a chopped 17.

They function adequately in every respect.

The Beretta will get you more chicks... if that is what you are into.
    Last edited by warpedcamshaft; 05-02-2016 at 11:12 PM.

It's not an issue of something new these are all guns I already have mostly this is just something fun I want to try most of the question you guy are asking is what I keep asking myself which leads me to say no I should shoot this or that. Unfortunately they do not make my perfect gun. What I am hoping to accomplish is focus really. There are things about all of these gun I either really like or don't. I would feel comfortable with any of them. I am more about personal defence than gaming but I would like to get into some gun games.
    Last edited by The Apprentice; 05-02-2016 at 11:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Apprentice View Post
    It's not an issue of something new these are all guns I already have mostly this is just something fun I want to try most of the question you guy are asking is what I keep asking myself which leads me to say no I should shoot this or that. Unfortunately they do not make my perfect gun. What I am hoping to accomplish is focus really. There are things about all of these gun I either really like or don't. I would feel comfortable with any of them. I am more about personal defence than gaming but I would like to get into some gun games.
    If fun is what you are after, I would go with the PPS M2, shoot Limited 10 Minor from concealment, and start a training journal on Doodie.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List