Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Duell is a family name

Site Supporter
    Drive to the university went smoothly. Kind of scary dropping your offspring off a thousand miles from home.

Carried the 3913LS and P32 for the trip. Walked and jogged almost every day of the past two weeks. Finally ready to start resistance training again - gauging the timing by my mouth not throbbing during /after exercise this week.

Lots of dry fire practice.

Shot with dad and daughter last Saturday. Put up 3x5 and 4x6 cards at ten yards in chest/eyebox configuration, and did drills from the holster. Daughter just had fun shooting. She doesn't have a gun up there, living in an on-campus apartment. Has pepper spray, a Surefire, a pocket knife, cell phone, and her own car (with emergency car gear in the trunk) so she won't be walking on campus too much. One of those things you just have to prepare as best you can and hope for the best.

Dads 1911 - I took along a box of .45 and shot it all through that Kimber. Ran fine. Hopefully, he won't do any more monkey fingered extractor adjustments. That, or he'll just put in a Wilson and leave it alone.

Friend brought along his VP9. Shoots like a laser, as noted before, but how does anyone tolerate the ridges inside that trigger guard? Felt like I was going to cut my finger. He also brought a 1911 with fiber optic sights. I've never really shot with any before - those were nice! I can definitely see the attraction.

Shot the local club match this morning. Decided to run the SIG. Had 2/4 clean stages. Well, I lost count on one of them, and only put two head shots on a target instead of three, so it wasn't really clean. Nice to not miss, though.

Cleaned the SIG last night - it had been 744 rounds since cleaned. Filthy, gritty, but everything came right off. Whether that was due to the gun's finish, the grease lifting it all off the metal, or a combination, it all went right away and looks new again. Coming up on 1200 rounds through the gun. Enough folks have done 2k round tests on these, I don't feel compelled to. Never had a bobble. Think I'll be cleaning it more regularly now.

Thinking about the match this morning, my goals, and my performance. Started asking myself questions: why do I shoot matches? Why do I practice? Why do I carry a gun?

Nothing has changed for me - I'm not in the army anymore, and not LE, so I have no professional reason to shoot or carry a gun anymore. I carry a gun to protect myself and my family. I practice to help improve my ability to do that, and I shoot matches in order to shoot under pressure of time, outside performance assessment, and to get an adrenaline dump. The stage I forgot to shoot 3 at every target was a shoot house with hostages partially obscuring every target, and a required 3 rounds per. My personal requirement is that targets with hostages get head shots. I shot that stage much more slowly than I could have in order to get the precision needed for those head shots. Nobody else did that. And nobody else ran the match from concealment. So long as I shoot matches this way, I won't win. Do I care?

Of course, I do. Somewhat. But I have a limited amount of time and funds; every minute and dollar has to be focused on some goal, and it should be the most valuable goal to me. Winning is nice, but does it matter?

Conundrums.

Site Supporter
    Dry fire practice this week has been more consistent, perhaps not focused enough, but very consistent. At least 10 minutes per day.

Walking and running this week has been almost daily. Lunges twice, and pull-ups as well. Weight is down to 187.

Hiked with a shotgun and Brittany spaniel today. Only saw two doves, and missed them both.

Did the week 181 drills with the SIG, 642, and P32. I don't think it's a mystery to anyone that it is easier to shoot fast and well with a full sized service 9mm than a light DAO pocket pistol. It's an interesting drill- and I'm laughing at myself for finally analyzing a drill for draw times and splits required to get the hits and pass the drill. 3 seconds for 3 hits. Reaction time+draw to first hit - if that takes less than 2 seconds, then the second and third shots can take up to .5 second each and still get the pass. If it's 1.5 to the first shot, the next two will seem like they can be shot slow and still make it.

I'll have to dry practice some timed drills and try it again.

Site Supporter
    Well, dry fire practice this week included 3 sessions. Session 1 was draw and trigger one shot. 15 minutes.
    Session 2 was dry runs of the week 181 DotW- three headshots. 10 minutes with the SP2022.
    Session 3 was dry reloading and dry fire with the 3913 after I got my new Blade Tech Nano IWB holster. Spent at least 10 minutes drilling that and adjusting the tension on the holster until I could reliably draw, but it wouldn't fall out.

Saturday the 17th, I did a quick run out into the same desert scrub area I shot in last week. Did a Dot Torture and the week 181 DotW headshot drill 2x with the 3913.

Dot Torture was shot cold. 46/50. Fail. It's no real mystery what happened when 5 shots are low and left, and four fell from just outside the target circle to a lot outside it: I anticipated recoil and/or jerked the trigger. On one of the speed reload strings, I didn't get my proper grip after the reload, it felt wrong, but I snapped off the shot rather than fix things, and that shot was one of the worst of the day.

181 DotW is 3 strings of 3 headshots, one on each of 3 targets. I used ipsc standard targets. Run 1 was all clean hits, but very slow: 5/9 were after the 3 second par time for each string. Run 2 had one clean miss, and 2 late hits.

Gun ran flawlessly. Needed to shoot more, maybe do some warmups before doing drills for score.

Site Supporter
    Walking, running, other fitness activities have been consistent since Saturday - every day, even if the distance was pathetic.

Dry fire tonight: did a version of the week 176 drill. Concealed under tshirt, blade tech IWB holster, 3913, target taped to brick wall on the other side of the bedroom. I didn't actually measure the distance.

I set my timer par time to two seconds, and did 75 draws to a single trigger press. Focus was explosive movement, not fouling the draw with the shirt, and keeping both eyes open.

T-shirts are comfortable to wear, but they kind of suck as concealment garments because they have no body - drawing clean is a challenge. I find it easier if my hands are in my pockets. That way, the primary hand thumb can lift the shirt out of the way faster because it's already under the edge of the hem. I practice a lot wearing t-shirts because I wear them a lot. I have a new band t-shirt I've decided I can't wear as a concealment shirt because it is too white and just a little too tight. The bulge isn't too noticeable by itself, but the black grip kind of makes it pretty obvious.

Site Supporter
    Grabbed a young man from my church to go shoot his Kahr 9mm - CT9 or something like that.

Decent little gun. He needs to lift some weights, though. Some malfs. Still hasn't quite fired 200 rounds through it.

Minimum distance at this range is 5 yards. Did 3 Dot Tortures:

.22 Ruger MKII to warm up. Messed up the round count on 6 & 7. Hit outside the circle a couple of times, too. No score.

S&W 3913, the older one with non-night sight Novaks. Mix of 115gr Federal aluminum and 115gr Perfecta (I stock only the good stuff!).
    47/50 - at 5 yards. I haven't even tried to shoot one at 5 yards in months, ever since I got serious about cleaning it at 3. And today I did a 47. At 5 yards.
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  65.4 KB

While I was between strings, one of my friends came over and offered to let me shoot her new Shield 9. The only Shield I'd shot before was a .40, and it was just okay, and I wasn't too accurate with it. Ran one magazine through her 9, and it was pretty nice, and I could hit with it.

Did another Dot Torture with my SP2022 at 5 yards. Got a 49.
Views: 34
Size:  64.1 KB

Not clean, but dang! This is some pleasing improvement.

After that, I did three runs through the 6 2" circles, one shot each, from the SiG. I set my par time at 10 seconds. Need to work on accuracy at speed.

Fajitas at Chilis for lunch with my wife, watching college football. It's a tough life.
    Last edited by Duelist; 09-24-2016 at 04:19 PM.

Site Supporter
    My team lost.

Forgot to record two other things:

I also shot a few rounds at steel with my 3913. 2 at 25 yard 8" steel, both hit. 2 at 100 yards - 5"X 2 feet. I missed the first, nailed it on the second. Pretty sweet feeling!

I also had my hunting rifle to do a little practice as I have a Coues whitetail tag for later this fall. Fired it from prone, rested on my hunting pack. 2 groups at 100 yards: the first was to check zero, and I was hitting about 2" higher than I wanted to. Made an adjustment, and it's better. Windage is about 1" farther right than I want, but that was all the grouping focus I had in me today. Made some nice shots on steel, from the 100 yard hanging post I hit with my pistol, all the way out to a plate at 500. The elevation correction made a big difference - I'd struggled to hit that plate before, but hit it 5x today.

The buck I killed last November at 300 yards was a good hit, and clean, perfect kill, but it was higher on his shoulder than I expected. In retrospect, looking at how I had it zeroed, that makes perfect sense: 2" at 100 yards X 3 to 300 would be 6". I had my 200 yard reticle dot on his spine, and my 300 yard dot on his sternum, bracketing his kill zone, so it was fine, but there was another, slightly older buck at 400. I'm glad I didn't take a shot at him, because my zero error would probably have screwed up the shot. The fudge-factor I had built into this shot was acceptable, and I'd shot the rifle enough before the season to know that 300 was a comfortable, confident shot, but 400 was pushing it.

3 solid hits at 400 and 5 at 500 today. It's not that I intend to shoot that far, It's that I'll probably have few opportunities close up. Deer here are little and usually a ways off in the scrub on a steep hillside. Being able to confidently take longer shots will mean that, should I have to take another 300 yard shot, or even a bit further, I'll know better where the bullet will impact and be more confident of making a clean kill.

In this regard, I envy some of the guys who live in whitetail overpopulation areas. Some of those places, a guy can take more deer in a year than I'll ever see through my scope out here.

That's also why I'm thinking about moving my 6.8 carbine upper down the road. It's a good cartridge, and a good upper, but how much utility can I get from it in this kind of hunting area? May sell it to a guy I know who has a bunch of little kids interested in hunting. Nice, light little thing for that.
    Last edited by Duelist; 09-24-2016 at 07:27 PM.

Site Supporter
    Dry fire: 2 second par, 30 draws from concealment, single DA trigger pull on eye box sized target. Concealment garment was a knit polo. Flubbed some draws, but the two second par time is very do-able.

Site Supporter
    Dry fire. 6 2" dots on one sheet at 3 yards. SIG SP2022.

100 draws to a single shot, no concealment. 2 second par time, after rep 65 realized the time wasn't pushing me at all and started cutting par down every five reps til I was at 1.5. Kept working that til consistently beat it.

Focus: par time for speed, master grip with no need for shifts or adjustments from draw to shot, good sight picture, press out and be on the trigger as soon as the sights are on, even if not at full extension and sight picture not refined. Break shot at full extension. The basics!

Put unzipped hoodie on over belted gun for 125 more reps, same basics emphasized but added clearing cover garment. Upped par time to 1.8, did 95 reps, worked par down to 1.55, did not always beat it, maybe 80%. Did 5+ reps of the six dot drill, one shot per dot, six trigger breaks, l-r across bottom, r-l across top. Started 6.5 second par time. Too long. Cut down to 5.0, then 4.5. Focused on keeping grip, gun not moving til hammer falls once front sight is on dot, smooth and level pistol tracking from dot to dot.

Then walked a couple of miles with my dog.

Views: 24
Size:  71.6 KB
    Last edited by Duelist; 09-29-2016 at 02:02 AM.

Site Supporter
    Dry fire. About 20 minutes. All at 3 yards.

SIG:
    Six 2" dot sheet - 5 second par, from draw. Ten reps.
    Compressed ready, press out, shot, reload, shot. 2 second par - 5 failures. 2.5 second par - 6 failures and 6 passes, mixed together. Some failed reps were from not doing everything fast enough, while others were from making mistakes, usually flubbing the mag insertion.
    Draw, press out, one shot on 2" dot. 1.8 second par. 9/10 pass.

642: 30 smooth dry trigger presses.

Site Supporter
    1 October - could not sleep this morning. Woke at 0400, got up a bit before 0500 and went out in the garage to putter around so I'd avoid disturbing my wife.

Ended up loading some 9mm - 125gr truncated cone moly coated lead. Then did a brief dry-fire session. Started weak hand, 1.8 second par, low ready, raise gun to IDPA target -0 low and trigger, raise to -0 high and repeat. 10 reps each hand and then from compressed ready with both hands. Used S&W 3913.

Decided after I was done to go lie down and actually kind of napped for a bit. Got up a bit before 0800, loaded up the Durango, and drove out to the range for my monthly club match.

Ended up as RSO for my squad. 4 stages in 2 bays. We started on the shoot house. That was interesting, because I always have a bit of heartburn about entering a situation at a match that I should probably use a cell phone call to 911 for real. They had it set up with family member hostages, though, so I didn't even voice an objection, even though that might be better handled by the cops, too. Who could wait while family was abused, tortured, possibly murdered?

Anyway. I think I did okay. Got accused of being John Wick a couple of times. LOL. 82 rounds through SIG for the day, 1360 total since new.

I shot one target on stage 1 (we shot it 3rd) with enough fast and accurate rounds from one side of a barrier, but then had to move to the other end of a wall, and after engaging the targets revealed there, re-shot that target because it looked so different. Messed up my time because of the extra rounds, and because once I committed to engaging it, I almost immediately ran out of rounds and had to do an extra reload. There were 2 or 3 shooters who did something similar on that target.

We set up the last stage to play with ARs and backup guns when we got done, because the other squad wasn't done. Ran my 3913 through it to compare times and accuracy under pressure. It was pretty much the same until the reload, and then my accuracy and speed fell off. 5 seconds slower - not just a tiny.

I'll post results when they are up. 98 rounds total for the day. Not that much - I usually go practice or shoot a rifle after this match, but not today.

User Tag List